French musicians with no work permit/illegal party busted at Koh Samui "Hippie Festival"

rooster59

5 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

2 bottles and some bills. That´s a really good days work for the police.

Oh, by the way, they nabbed 4 musicians too. I have always told them to keep low key. Do NOT sing!

Anyway, I am happy to hear that they did not have some one playing with an organ on the scene. The most vulgar instrument a musician can play with.

Worse than an accordion? I don't think so????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

The lack of covid-19 precautions is regrettable but I suspect that these musicians were just having a public jam.  I think they were not paid and if that is the case no work permit should be required.  My wife has gone to a few local jams that happened to be at a restaurant/bar.  Musicians use these opportunities to play with others.

This reminds me of the great gambling raid in Pattaya on a bridge club!

In Phuket no Farang Jam, paid or not guys have their equipment confiscated jing jing

Is it illegal to have a jam... musicians who just come together to play?  

Is it illegal to play at an open mic night?

Does it depend on the venue?

Does it depend on whether payment is made?

So, we had a Blues festival here in Pai recently... were the farang musicians all playing illegally?

If you play at an event say a wedding of a friend, are you playing illegally?

If you are a guest performer, are you playing illegally?

Whjere is the line or do authorities just make it up as they go along?

Edited by arend
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

The lack of covid-19 precautions is regrettable but I suspect that these musicians were just having a public jam.  I think they were not paid and if that is the case no work permit should be required.  My wife has gone to a few local jams that happened to be at a restaurant/bar.  Musicians use these opportunities to play with others.

This reminds me of the great gambling raid in Pattaya on a bridge club!

In Thailand, NO "work" can be done without a work permit, including painting your wife's house (You can't own a house).  work is defined as anything that requires movement or thinking.  Technically, that would include taking a dump, but nobody's been busted for that yet.  

No foreigner can get a work permit to play music or to paint a house.  Both occupations are reserved by law exclusively for Thais.  The theory is, that even if somebody is working free, they are taking work from a Thai.   So, listen up, folks, no jam sessions, period.  If you do, it had better be behind closed and locked doors with the curtains drawn.   And don't paint your house either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, arend said:

Is it illegal to have a jam... musicians who just come together to play?  

Is it illegal to play at an open mic night?

Does it depend on the venue?

Does it depend on whether payment is made?

So, we had a Blues festival here in Pai recently... were the farang musicians all playing illegally?

If you play at an event say a wedding of a friend, are you playing illegally?

Everything you mention is illegal for a farang.   All of it.

• Like 1

What if they were "Covid refugees", ie not able to return home and under the special Covid visa extensions for foreigners stuck in tbe country, and they had no money ? Begging is not allowed, nor is stealing.. Who said they were working ? Were they being paid for tbeir gig or just fed and quenched ? 
To me it is a case of innocent until proven guilty. A couple of beers and bills are no proof of illegality to me .. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I saw a (non Thai) graffiti artist one time in BKK. I just casually asked, as he was painting in an exposed spot, if the had a work permit. I got a blank stare. 

Doesn't matter how much they are told. They are too cool to worry about actual laws.

That being said there are western musicians who jam in bars in Bangkok. Even used to be western bands. As long as local bill knows and is paid, all is OK. 

It was in the news a few years ago, one of those street artists was arrested for just what you describe.  He was doing caricature sketches of passersby and giving them away free.  He did not charge anybody so much as one satang.  He was taken to jail.  I don't know if he was French.