In the market for another All-In-One computer

giddyup

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Had a look at prices for a 500GB SSD, around 2000 baht, plus fitting. I'm in Pattaya, so I guess one of the shops in Tucom can do the job?

Am sure any shop can do for you - have to decide if you want to clone current drive or start as a new computer and install Windows and software.  You could probably install most software yourself once Windows installed but if clone will be as is now just much faster doing anything that requires access to drive (many things).  If doing clone will take a bit of time to copy and if you have anything sensitive or banking you will want to remain in shop to be sure no other copies are made (best to change your passwords once back home to be double safe).  Clone process itself is really quite easy - just get a USB to drive cable and clone software once buy SSD.  After clone made just remove old hdd and replace with SSD and boot computer.  If any issues you could then take to shop to help if needed.

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Am sure any shop can do for you - have to decide if you want to clone current drive or start as a new computer and install Windows and software.  You could probably install most software yourself once Windows installed but if clone will be as is now just much faster doing anything that requires access to drive (many things).  If doing clone will take a bit of time to copy and if you have anything sensitive or banking you will want to remain in shop to be sure no other copies are made (best to change your passwords once back home to be double safe).  Clone process itself is really quite easy - just get a USB to drive cable and clone software once buy SSD.  After clone made just remove old hdd and replace with SSD and boot computer.  If any issues you could then take to shop to help if needed.

I don't think I'm capable of replacing the HDD with a SDD myself, I wouldn't even know how to open the Lenovo case, or what to look for once it's open. I just want to take it to a shop and have them hand it back to me with everything installed and cloned.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Had a look at prices for a 500GB SSD, around 2000 baht, plus fitting. I'm in Pattaya, so I guess one of the shops in Tucom can do the job?

Do you need a 500 GB SSD? How full is the current drive?

https://shopee.co.th/Silicon-Power-128GB-256GB-512GB-เอสเอสดี-A55-SSD-3D-TLC-NAND-SATA-III-2.5-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-3-Years-Warranty-i.219846402.7131212222

But if you want a known brand name: https://shopee.co.th/WD-BLUE-SATA-(WDS500G2B0A)-3D-NAND-Warranty-5-Y-i.386257191.9614983696

I personally would not take anything to Tukcom. Hard to imagine so many cowboys in such a small area. 

But you don't have much choice unless you choose to travel to Rayong to an official service centre: 

vServepluss Co Ltd Service Center Rayong

51.77 KM

18/34 Moo.1 T.Noenphra A.Muang Rayong 21000,Rayong,Rayong,

Working Hours
9.00-17.00
เบอร์โทร
038-807137-9
Product Type
Think Products; Lenovo Products; Tablets; Smart
Premises Type
เดินเข้ารับบริการ
อีเมล
[email protected]

23 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have had a Lenovo All-In-One PC for about 3 or 4 years and it's a bit slow and clunky and I'm worried it might die on me, so rather than wait, thought I might buy a backup, another All-In-One, and saw this on Lazada and wonder if it might fit the bill. I really know very little about computers, so hoping I might get some opinions on this

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/24-all-in-one-computer-intel-core-i7-3520m8gb-ramssd-256gbwin10-all-in-one-desktop-computer-pc-with-i1561996157-s4199198838.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.75.33364c7bS8l7Fo&search=1&freeshipping=1

I bought a Lenovo All- in- One PC over two years ago, I only use it as a second computer now as every so often it needs a system restore. It also takes more than 5 mins to start up, I have avoided Lenovo ever since. I hope you manage to get another one OK.

I'm sure some kind poster will help you out.

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Do you need a 500 GB SSD? How full is the current drive?

https://shopee.co.th/Silicon-Power-128GB-256GB-512GB-เอสเอสดี-A55-SSD-3D-TLC-NAND-SATA-III-2.5-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-3-Years-Warranty-i.219846402.7131212222

But if you want a known brand name: https://shopee.co.th/WD-BLUE-SATA-(WDS500G2B0A)-3D-NAND-Warranty-5-Y-i.386257191.9614983696

I personally would not take anything to Tukcom. Hard to imagine so many cowboys in such a small area. 

But you don't have much choice unless you choose to travel to Rayong to an official service centre: 

I believe the HDD is 500GB, so I was only going to replace with the same capacity. Yes. Rayong isn't going to happen, and not sure where else other than Tukcom I can take it.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I don't think I'm capable of replacing the HDD with a SDD myself, I wouldn't even know how to open the Lenovo case, or what to look for once it's open. I just want to take it to a shop and have them hand it back to me with everything installed and cloned.

Actually instructions should have detailed method to remove case but it is a bit hard on my unit so probably best to have a local shop do.  Just make sure you change your passwords ASAP after get it home.

• Like 1

Just now, possum1931 said:

I bought a Lenovo All- in- One PC over two years ago, I only use it as a second computer now as every so often it needs a system restore. It also takes more than 5 mins to start up, I have avoided Lenovo ever since. I hope you manage to get another one OK.

Seems you haven't been paying attention. The issue with these things is that they were sold with slow magnetic spinning disk storage drives. Totally unsuitable in conjunction with barely adequate processors.

Swap that slow storage for fast SSD storage and using the PC will become a pleasure rather than an irritation.

From as little as 500 baht plus fitting. But of course it's easier to do nothing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I had a look, I bought mine in 2016, so it's nearly 5 years old, but I haven't had an ounce of trouble with it, and it gets used for a few hours each day. The only problem is it's a bit slow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Am sure you would be amazed if you just change to SSD.  Mine was also taking about 5 minutes to boot and now less than one.

Just now, Eindhoven said:

Seems you haven't been paying attention. The issue with these things is that they were sold with slow magnetic spinning disk storage drives. Totally unsuitable in conjunction with barely adequate processors.

Swap that slow storage for fast SSD storage and using the PC will become a pleasure rather than an irritation.

From as little as 500 baht plus fitting. But of course it's easier to do nothing.

Can't say I've seen any for as low as 500 baht, is that for a no name low capacity? A WD 500GB is around 2000 Baht.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Am sure you would be amazed if you just change to SSD.  Mine was also taking about 5 minutes to boot and now less than one.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind, but now I use a monitor connected to a laptop and so far it has worked well.

5 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Thanks, as I told lopburi3. I will keep that in mind, it seems good advice.

7 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Why would you bother to replace it with one of the same capacity if you don't need to do so. Don't waste your money.

256 GB is likely more than enough for your simple usage.

If you stored loads of high quality movies it might be necessary. But I think that you don't. 1000 baht for a 256 GB SSD.

I think the C Drive is only 99GB, not 500, so a SSD of 256GB would be plenty

Edited by giddyup

Looks good, but I would not recommend it do to a couple things 1) does not have optic drive (DVD/CD drive) 2) Does not have dual wi-fi, most modems have 2.4G/5.0G wi-fi which makes downloading/uploading faster3) RAM not enough, I recommend 12GB at least. Doesn't say but Windows 10 is more then likely the single language one which can not be upgraded to regular Windows 10 or Pro. 4) Not enough USB ports need at least 4. If it was me, I would be looking at a good brand name product, i.e.. Dell, HP, ASUS, ACER etc.., which Lazada/Shopee have, but it boils down to what you like, good luck. 

• Like 1

Just now, giddyup said:

Can't say I've seen any for as low as 500 baht, is that for a no name low capacity? A WD 500GB is around 2000 Baht.

Now 550 baht: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ssd-hikvision-c100-e100-120gb-128gb-240gb-256gb-480gb-512gb-960gb-1024gb-3-i1754346453-s5074214036.html

The E100, not the C100. Though 128 GB is a bit low. 256 GB is likely fine.

If WD, make sure it's WD Blue and not Green.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

Now 550 baht: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ssd-hikvision-c100-e100-120gb-128gb-240gb-256gb-480gb-512gb-960gb-1024gb-3-i1754346453-s5074214036.html

The E100, not the C100. Though 128 GB is a bit low. 256 GB is likely fine.

If WD, make sure it's WD Blue and not Green.

My mistake, I said I thought the HDD was 500GB, but it's only 99GB, so 256GB would be plenty, or even 128GB.

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I think the C Drive is only 99GB, not 500, so a SSD of 256GB would be plenty

They have just partitioned the drive. Personally I would not clone anything but run a clean install of Windows 10 to the new drive.

If you clone, you will bring all of the useless carp with you. You don't need the useless bloat that slowed your device down in the first place.; but you really do need a friend. OS installation is VERY simple. You can get them to place your old HDD into a caddy for use as external storage: https://shopee.co.th/Llano-กล่องเคสฮาร์ดดิสก์-HDD-SSD-แบบใส-2.5-นิ้ว-USB3.0-(ไม่รวม-HDD)-i.158434379.3514429497

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

They have just partitioned the drive. Personally I would not clone anything but run a clean install of Windows 10 to the new drive.

If you clone, you will bring all of the useless carp with you. You don't need the useless bloat that slowed your device down in the first place.; but you really do need a friend. OS installation is VERY simple. You can get them to place your old HDD into a caddy for use as external storage: https://shopee.co.th/Llano-กล่องเคสฮาร์ดดิสก์-HDD-SSD-แบบใส-2.5-นิ้ว-USB3.0-(ไม่รวม-HDD)-i.158434379.3514429497

I'm starting to get lost now and my brain is starting to hurt. How do I run a clean install of Win 10 when the Lenovo came already installed? It's all sounding a bit beyond me to be honest.

24 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually instructions should have detailed method to remove case but it is a bit hard on my unit so probably best to have a local shop do.  Just make sure you change your passwords ASAP after get it home.

I seriously would only consider a shop that will do the job in front of me. That means to remove the old drive in front of me and to hand it over.

If cannot, find another place. Any self-respecting technician would understand the privacy concern. If they don't, then they aren't conscientious enough to do the job.

A service centre should charge no more than 500 baht for the fitting. ACER charges me no more than 428 baht including VAT for that kind of thing.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm starting to get lost now and my brain is starting to hurt. How do I run a clean install of Win 10 when the Lenovo came already installed? It's all sounding a bit beyond me to be honest.

You don't have to do it. You can let them clean install Windows 10. You can even make the installation drive for them in advance.

The problem with letting someone else do it is that it won't be personalised to you. Your brain hurts because you try to understand everything. You don't need to understand anything. You just need to be able follow simple instructions.

The easiest thing for you is to get them to clone the drive if you don't have anything sensitive on the original.

The best thing is a clean install of Windows 10 to the SSD. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

The easiest thing for you is to get them to clone the drive if you don't have anything sensitive on the original.

The best thing is a clean install of Windows 10 to the SSD. 

Does that mean paying for another Win !0 install?

53 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

OK I will take it to the local dealer tomorrow. So all I have to do is ask him to fit fast SSD storage?

36 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

OK I will take it to the local dealer tomorrow. So all I have to do is ask him to fit fast SSD storage?

Don't oversimplify. You don't buy a car by stating "give me a car". You choose carefully. 

So we discuss your requirements and then suggest a model for you to purchase. Then you take your PC and the SSD along to the tech of your choice. Alternatively there are techs who do out-calls. They can just as easily do the job at your place.

What is the model number of your PC? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Don't oversimplify. You don't buy a car by stating "give me a car". You choose carefully. 

So we discuss your requirements and then suggest a model for you to purchase. Then you take your PC and the SSD along to the tech of your choice. Alternatively there are techs who do out-calls. They can just as easily do the job at your place.

What is the model number of your PC? 

lenovo All in One.  MTM  Fod 7001 MTA

CPU Intel 5005.

I live in a small town up country, there is only one computer engineer and he does not do home calls.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

I believe the HDD is 500GB, so I was only going to replace with the same capacity. Yes. Rayong isn't going to happen, and not sure where else other than Tukcom I can take it.

Tukcom itself is pretty empty in the meantime. You have to look in the area where the Tukcom car park is.