In the market for another All-In-One computer

giddyup

48 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

MTA

CPU Intel 5005.

I live in a small town up country, there is only one computer engineer and he does not do home calls.

Either way, arelatively easy job, as long as he is not a clumsy and impatient idiot.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/ideacentre_aio_330_series_hmm.pdf Pages 29 & 35.

Decent enough CPU, when paired with a solid state drive and a clean install free of Lenovo bloat.

Do you want the same capacity? If you are doing a lot of downloading you might wish to do so. 

Just now, Eindhoven said:

Either way, arelatively easy job, as long as he is not a clumsy and impatient idiot.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/ideacentre_aio_330_series_hmm.pdf Pages 29 & 35.

Decent enough CPU, when paired with a solid state drive and a clean install free of Lenovo bloat.

Do you want the same capacity? If you are doing a lot of downloading you might wish to do so. 

No 265 GB will be fine, I use an external hard drive for my movies.

He seems to be competent enough, but the big downside is his English is non existent. If he does not understand what I want, I will take my computer to the nearest city which is 60 ks away.

9 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

There is only Pattaya2u there. Who seem to quote 2000 baht for every job. Though of course that is just my experience.

They charged me 3000 baht to repair the on/off button on my laptop. Will never use again, even though it was highly recommended (here).

Edited by giddyup

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

No 265 GB will be fine, I use an external hard drive for my movies.

He seems to be competent enough, but the big downside is his English is non existent. If he does not understand what I want, I will take my computer to the nearest city which is 60 ks away.

This is the reason why I have supplied you with the maintenance manual and the pages you should show to him.

This, together with the manual should be enough for him:

You can order the SSD in advance, in so you aren't limited to whatever they have in stock at the time.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Thanks 1

I would suggest paying a little bit extra for a higher quality SSD, simply because since it's so fiddly to fit one in an AIO, that you don't want to put a cheap liable to fail SSD within.

A cheapie might cost 900 baht for a 256 GB. Western Digital Blue 250GB around 1200 baht. Crucial MX 500 250 GB & Samsung EVO 870 250GB 1400 baht

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I would suggest paying a little bit extra for a higher quality SSD, simply because since it's so fiddly to fit one in an AIO, that you don't want to put a cheap liable to fail SSD within.

Actually did not find replacement that hard - in fact easier than changing in some desktops - did have to snap plastic back off after screw removal but all steps were outlined in manual - key step on my unit was locking stand in place before removing screws.  4 screws to remove HDD and just used some two side tape to attach SSD (although worked fine lose) (went through process several times due to the SSD firmware issue and going back to HDD for awhile).

Edited by lopburi3

OK, I've decided to get the HDD replaced with a SSD in my Lenovo AIO, probably at Wattana as recommended. However I'm going to keep the Lenovo as a backup and buy another desktop, monitor, tower and keyboard separate components. I'll have a look around Wattana, but what should I be looking for, specs-wise? I don't want to spend more than 20,000 baht. I do want a decent size monitor, no less than 22 inch.

Edited by giddyup

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

what should I be looking for, specs-wise?

Can't answer that but make sure it has SSD or you will not want to use it after change the AIO.  Do you need a monitor or could you use a good TV?  If TV an idea make sure computer has HDMI output.  I would hold off a bit and see how your new AIO feels after change to SSD.  If large screen need is only for video might not even need a computer

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

They have just partitioned the drive. Personally I would not clone anything but run a clean install of Windows 10 to the new drive.

If you clone, you will bring all of the useless carp with you. You don't need the useless bloat that slowed your device down in the first place.; but you really do need a friend. OS installation is VERY simple. You can get them to place your old HDD into a caddy for use as external storage: https://shopee.co.th/Llano-กล่องเคสฮาร์ดดิสก์-HDD-SSD-แบบใส-2.5-นิ้ว-USB3.0-(ไม่รวม-HDD)-i.158434379.3514429497

Couple of questions, what is the caddy for, and if a SSD is so much faster, why aren't they used in all computers?

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Couple of questions, what is the caddy for, and if a SSD is so much faster, why aren't they used in all computers?

So you can use old HDD as an external drive from a USB port on computer - external storage/backups.

SSD is used in all computer in many countries - Thailand is way behind on this because they made hundreds of GB storage a priority sales image and larger SSD drives used to cost much more the HDD but they have been getting very close recently.

• Like 1

Not read all the posts, but i have given up on all in ones and to some degree laptops. Back in UK, brother had 2 all in one computers - after a couple of years, get a problem, only financially sensible solution was to chuck it, as repairing/upgrading difficult.

Here in Thailand have got through 3 laptops in 10 years, in the heat they rarely last unless you keep them in a dust free air conditioned environment. I have just swapped to an old fashioned desktop - second hand, but twice as powerful as my old laptop and it has a 20 inch screen. And as it is separate parts can easily repair or replace any part that fails. And it was half the cost of the old laptop..... under 6,000 baht (with newly installed OS and Microsoft office included, plus a few other items).

17 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

They probably sent it to Pattaya Klang which is their main store. Not that it really matters I am just recommending them to the OP.

http://www.wattana.co.th/index.php/en/

Yes that one is a very good shop, the one opposite Foodland.

They also have technicians there.

Just bough a new printer there. They asked me if I wanted them to fill the tanks and test it before taking it home and I said yes please (free of charge).

So went over to Foodland for lunch and picked up the printer afterwards and drove home, always good service in Wattana.

8 hours ago, rickudon said:

Not read all the posts, but i have given up on all in ones and to some degree laptops. Back in UK, brother had 2 all in one computers - after a couple of years, get a problem, only financially sensible solution was to chuck it, as repairing/upgrading difficult.

Here in Thailand have got through 3 laptops in 10 years, in the heat they rarely last unless you keep them in a dust free air conditioned environment. I have just swapped to an old fashioned desktop - second hand, but twice as powerful as my old laptop and it has a 20 inch screen. And as it is separate parts can easily repair or replace any part that fails. And it was half the cost of the old laptop..... under 6,000 baht (with newly installed OS and Microsoft office included, plus a few other items).

I guess buying used has it's pitfalls as well, unless you buy from someone you know.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

I guess buying used has it's pitfalls as well, unless you buy from someone you know.

ALL of my PC equipment was purchased as 'refurbished'. Most had been customer returns within the return period, so were still brand new but I received a substantial discount with a twelve month warranty. I even bought an old PC from 2009 a few years ago and it is still going strong.

Most people just make up scenarios in their mind, as opposed to actually having any issues themselves.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

ALL of my PC equipment was purchased as 'refurbished'. Most had been customer returns within the return period, so were still brand new but I received a substantial discount with a twelve month warranty. I even bought an old PC from 2009 a few years ago and it is still going strong.

Most people just make up scenarios in their mind, as opposed to actually having any issues themselves.

Where did you but refurbished computer equipment, in Thailand?

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Where did you but refurbished computer equipment, in Thailand?

I didn't. I don't live in Thailand. Though I have purchased two laptops in Thailand; one second hand and another new. The new one I purchased in Thailand more than fourteen years ago. I am using it now to send this message. The second hand one I purchased more than fifteen years ago. It works but the spec is too low to be useful.

45 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I can only speak as i find and i've had an Acer AIO for 8 years and its still going strong but one day it will no doubt give up the ghost and i'll be off to JIB to get another one Acer Aspire C27 to be precise.

They don't make them like they used to... My ACER is more than fourteen years old. I doubt one made today would last that long. I'm still using the original battery. I get at least thirty minutes out of it.

Have you fitted an SSD within your current AIO or are you still struggling along with the old spinning disk?

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 2:55 PM, soi3eddie said:

@giddyup

That's a very good price and a good specification. It looks like exceptional value. I'm considering similar for my parents. The RAM memory at 8GB is fine but would be slightly faster with 16GB which doesn't normally cost much more if available as an option. If not, then extra ram can usually be added or swapped later (check first though). The 256GB SSD drive will make it fast compared to a regular mechanical disk drive. If you need more storage (say for video) then an external drive is the cost effective way to go. Core i7 processor is good. Let us know how you get on.

Does it include Thai and English languages and have both alphabets on the keyboard? Maybe important for some folks. 

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Does it include Thai and English languages and have both alphabets on the keyboard? Maybe important for some folks. 

Who will service it if there is a problem? It utilises old and outdated components and goodness knows who even made it. The brand name was possibly leased to whoever made it.

But coming back to your question...it's an AIO, but the keyboard is not attached, so you can obtain whichever keyboard you like and install whichever languages you require.

48 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I didn't. I don't live in Thailand. Though I have purchased two laptops in Thailand; one second hand and another new. The new one I purchased in Thailand more than fourteen years ago. I am using it now to send this message. The second hand one I purchased more than fifteen years ago. It works but the spec is too low to be useful.

AFAIK there is nowhere to buy refurbished computers in Thailand, and buying used is a cr*p shoot.

Edited by giddyup