Would you do it again?

OneMoreFarang

Would you do it again?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/28/2021 at 10:56 PM, BritManToo said:

Plenty of huts in central Chiang Mai with no electricity or plumbing.

Just not where most tourists would find them.

Down the soi near the night market where I lived on in C M there were a couple of slum complexes, Not far from several 5* hotels.

I never saw such in the countryside.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My down fall was actually believing my GF/ wife was different, and I live every day regretting I ever met her.

Really, I had the perfect life in Chiang Mai living in a lovely hotel run by a Swiss guy, but takes real money to stay in LOS, even if it's cheap as to actually live there.

Would I do it again- yes, even the bad bits, but when I saw my wife to be I'd walk past and never look back. Had I done that, I'd be writing this in Chiang Mai, or even better in Pattaya.

It's OK to believe yours is the one ............. it's not OK to hand her all of your assets/savings because you have that feeling. Enjoy the feelings of love, keep a tight hold on your money.

If you were still in CM, I'd invite you round for beer/gin and a pizza.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

It's OK to believe yours is the one ............. it's not OK to hand her all of your assets/savings because you have that feeling.

Enjoy the feelings of love, keep a tight hold on your money.

At least I didn't do that. Unfortunately I never had that much to spare as working as a nurse is not the way to wealth. When I lost the family house to live in I had the choice of staying in LOS without medical insurance and no nest egg back up, or going back to home country. I was too young to die horribly, so I went home.

BTW, love flew away as soon as the paper was signed at the amphur and she thought she had a captive ATM, so more fool me.

On 3/2/2021 at 12:28 PM, BritManToo said:

It's OK to believe yours is the one ............. it's not OK to hand her all of your assets/savings because you have that feeling. Enjoy the feelings of love, keep a tight hold on your money.

Well said.  

Something similar should be written on the immigration arrival cards.  ????

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2021 at 2:52 AM, BenDeCosta said:

In the vain hope that she'll make him happy, because nobody else wants to do it.

In my case I gave my wife a substantial "loan" because I was trying to save my marriage. I'd have done better saving my money for after we got divorced. Of course I never got the money back.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 11:42 PM, BenDeCosta said:

"Warning: please don't hand over your life savings to someone you just met in a bar, maximum fine: 10,000 baht."

Could you imagine Issan if prostitution was enforced here, and foreigners stopped giving / sending money?  ????

Issan gets more "foreign aid" than countries where people are starving.   

On 3/15/2021 at 8:54 PM, Leaver said:

Could you imagine Issan if prostitution was enforced here, and foreigners stopped giving / sending money?  ????

Issan gets more "foreign aid" than countries where people are starving.   

I've lived in Isaan for many years and find this comment highly offensive and totally wrong.

On 3/2/2021 at 12:17 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Would I do it again- yes, even the bad bits, but when I saw my wife to be I'd walk past and never look back. Had I done that, I'd be writing this in Chiang Mai, or even better in Pattaya.

If you love beaches, why would you want to live in Pattaya? There are great beaches here  but certainly not there! 

On 3/2/2021 at 1:34 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

At least I didn't do that. Unfortunately I never had that much to spare as working as a nurse is not the way to wealth. When I lost the family house to live in I had the choice of staying in LOS without medical insurance and no nest egg back up, or going back to home country. I was too young to die horribly, so I went home.

BTW, love flew away as soon as the paper was signed at the amphur and she thought she had a captive ATM, so more fool me.

Not a fool. A life experience.

47 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I've lived in Isaan for many years and find this comment highly offensive and totally wrong.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Where do most prostitutes within Thailand come from?  Answer:  Issan.  Do you deny this?

Take a look at Western Union stats.  Thailand.  

See those nice big houses in the small towns in Issan - Thai girl has  farang. 

Do you deny foreigners are sending money to extended Thai families, most of whom are in Issan, every month?   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If you love beaches, why would you want to live in Pattaya? There are great beaches here  but certainly not there! 

I had two loves in LOS. The beaches and the night life. I could always take a lovely lass from Pattaya to the beach, but the lovely lasses were more or less absent from the beaches, and the few that were lovely were waaaaaay too expensive.

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Where do most prostitutes within Thailand come from?  Answer:  Issan.  Do you deny this?

Take a look at Western Union stats.  Thailand.  

See those nice big houses in the small towns in Issan - Thai girl has  farang. 

Do you deny foreigners are sending money to extended Thai families, most of whom are in Issan, every month?   

I have no idea about the origins of prostitutes in Thailand but would guess they come mostly from poverty-stricken areas, which would include Isarn.

Most taxi drivers, somtam sellers, etc also come from Isarn, so you focusing on prostitutes just tells a lot about kind of expat you are, but live and let live.  You haven't a clue about Isarn and never will if you just see it through 'Pattaya' eyes.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I have no idea about the origins of prostitutes in Thailand but would guess they come mostly from poverty-stricken areas, which would include Isarn.

Most taxi drivers, somtam sellers, etc also come from Isarn, so you focusing on prostitutes just tells a lot about kind of expat you are, but live and let live.  You haven't a clue about Isarn and never will if you just see it through 'Pattaya' eyes.

I don't know that any bargirl I knew was from Issan, but Pattaya certainly seemed to have a lot. IMO most bargirls are doing it because they got knocked up by a Thai boyfriend and had to support the baby, not because they are poor, though mainly not wealthy. Of course, clever bargirls end up wealthy, which is why so many poor girls head to Pattaya.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO most bargirls are doing it because they got knocked up by a Thai boyfriend and had to support the baby

Really? But the majority of girls in Isarn that get pregnant DON'T become prostitutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Really? But the majority of girls in Isarn that get pregnant DON'T become prostitutes.

No argument with that. A tiny % of Thai women become prostitutes, preferring to plant rice or work in sweat shops if can't get a better job.

However, if I was a poor Thai girl that looked good I'd be willing to walk on the wild side for a while to make some $, as long as it wasn't a career choice. Every night's a party, drinks get paid for by customers, chance of a regular or 5 sending money from overseas, occasional trip to the beach or even overseas, and all I'd have to do would be to have sex and be nice to the customers. What's not to like? Sure beats working in a sweat shop for 9k baht a month.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, if I was a poor Thai girl that looked good I'd be willing to walk on the wild side for a while to make some $, as long as it wasn't a career choice. Every night's a party, drinks get paid for by customers, chance of a regular or 5 sending money from overseas, occasional trip to the beach or even overseas, and all I'd have to do would be to have sex and be nice to the customers. What's not to like?

I've worked in a drug and alcohol rehab in Isarn for nearly 20 years. From my experience, the girls that are forced to prostitute themselves do NOT enjoy giving men old enough to be their grandads BJs and turn to drugs to escape the nightmare. Do you really think they have fun and would not rather be with a Thai man? Thai men wouldnt touch most of the women that I've seen in Pattaya, especially the dark ones from the farm. Foreigners think they are exotic, as I did for a few years. 

Do you think Thai people, in general, like foreigners? It's a big act! 

Edited by Neeranam

Like it here, but always wondered about Philippines if it would be any different (although I believe the food is not as tasty). Only other place I would have made a home base would have been Venezuela until Maduro screwed it up, defo would give LOS a run for its money many years ago... 

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If you have no idea about the origins of prostitutes in Thailand, why comment?

I have travelled Thailand, and South East Asia for that matter, extensively.  I have been to the small villages in Issan and they are 3rd World on par with African villages, and yes, I have been to Africa.  Have you been to such villages?

I take an interest in all things Thai.  From the corrupt Thai elite, to the bar girl sent from Issan to the southern tourist areas to work as a prostitute.

I find your comment quite naive. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Leaver said:

If you have no idea about the origins of prostitutes in Thailand, why comment?

You asked me a few questions and I was being polite. I won't be answering any more as I won't see them. Goodbye. 

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You asked me a few questions and I was being polite. I won't be answering any more as I won't see them. Goodbye. 

Burying one's head in the sand to the reality of the sex trade here is not how you come to understand it.  

The Thai's may sweep it under the carpet as Thailand's dirty little secret, despite profiting immensely from it, but that's just the Thai way. 

The fact you put me on your ignore list says more about you, than it does about me. 

Good Day to you, Sir.   

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've worked in a drug and alcohol rehab in Isarn for nearly 20 years. From my experience, the girls that are forced to prostitute themselves do NOT enjoy giving men old enough to be their grandads BJs and turn to drugs to escape the nightmare. Do you really think they have fun and would not rather be with a Thai man? Thai men wouldnt touch most of the women that I've seen in Pattaya, especially the dark ones from the farm. Foreigners think they are exotic, as I did for a few years. 

Do you think Thai people, in general, like foreigners? It's a big act! 

There are sad cases in all walks of life, not just Thai prostitution. The problem with only meeting those unfortunates is that one may start to consider that ALL Thai prostitutes are sad cases when that is far from the truth. I knew a fair number and had brief encounters with many more, but I wouldn't consider that any were forced to be there. The ones that were damaged were easy to spot and avoid, though hardly any that I saw. I once knew a female psychologist that started out quite balanced, but because she worked with abused women became quite antagonistic towards men in general.

That you even use the word "forced" reduces any significance of your experience re the majority, IMO. The vast majority of bargirls I met were quite mentally "normal" and were only doing it for a while to earn a bit of cash for a leg up, as it were. It was quite normal for a girl I met on one holiday to be gone when I returned on the next holiday. Not one that I met would have been "forced" to be there.

I'm not just an average Joe when it comes to assessing mental conditions either, having had decades of experience in hospitals with hands on patient experience by the time I ended up in a love affair with Thailand.

From my experience, the girls that are forced to prostitute themselves do NOT enjoy giving men old enough to be their grandads BJs and turn to drugs to escape the nightmare.

That's only your experience, when all is said and done. It doesn't mean that all were the same. Thai BGs in my experience regard sex as a means to an end, and it's not a big deal to have sex with old men- not one BG I asked had been abused by their customers, and that counts for a lot.

I'm curious as to why you regard having sex as a "nightmare". Sex is very enjoyable for most people as long as it's not abusive, and women have been having sex with men they don't particularly like for centuries. Don't have to be a prostitute to be in a relationship that's not ideal ie arranged marriages.

BTW, since when were BJs obligatory?

Do you really think they have fun

Do you think all jobs other than prostitution are "fun"? I didn't have much "fun" in my work, but I did it to earn money so I could have fun. Bargirls are the same- it's a means to an end, and it pays a lot better than planting rice.

• Like 1