New Armed Forces chief orders less generals and more efficiency

webfact

23 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

If only he had been at the helm in 2014, Thailand would be a far, far better place than it is now for the people !

Well, maybe.

Mind you I seem to recall a certain General Prayut banging on in much the same manner back then.

I believe he covered the topic after explaining how he valued democracy, and just before he declared that corruption was unacceptable...

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, jayboy said:

As to your comment about battle situations I'm not sure that's relevant since the purpose of the Thai army, the country having no enemies or even potential threats, is primarily to be involved in business for its senior officer corps.

Surely not, I mean, most of them seem to wear a "Combat Infantryman's Badge" and you don't get that for running a chain of quarantine hotels now do you?

So how to set about reducing the number of generals?  Firstly you can't fire them - too much loss of face.  So the way to go is by natural wastage - death through old age or overwork.  As the old gits die off, 5% fewer are appointed.  I  can't see this plan lasting beyond Chalermpol's tenure.

On 2/25/2021 at 9:52 AM, bluesofa said:

Thailand, the hub of generals.

I'm sure if they stick at it they could end up at a world-beating 100 to one.

General this and General that, even the so called "government" has a General in the unelected "PM", and goodness knows how many other Generals there are in this tinpot "government".

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

So how to set about reducing the number of generals?  Firstly you can't fire them - too much loss of face.  So the way to go is by natural wastage - death through old age or overwork.  As the old gits die off, 5% fewer are appointed.  I  can't see this plan lasting beyond Chalermpol's tenure.

Sure, and I wonder if there's another angle. 

Right now many are promoted to general a few months before they retire to give them benefits plus to give them a chance at the 'glory' of having the general rank attached to their name on documents, plus wearing the general insignia on their shoulders/their uniform and on they officers caps. Very very important in a society obsessed with status.

But what happens when (as part of reducing the numbers of generals), some officers don't 'get their turn'?

My suspicion is that they will rebel and claim 'unfair/disrespectful' and demand their chance for the generals spoils.

What happens next?

Seems to me that all the officers will loudly demand their chance and they will have a loud voice.