Do you know of anyone on retirement visa "kicked out" of Thailand?

coastguard

I know so many guys that worry they will arbitrarily be kicked out of Thailand.

I don't like going to Immigration to renew every year, but I don't seriously worry that I won't get my extension. Other than not meeting the financial requirements, for what reasons might we be "kicked out?" An arrest? A DUI? 

Do you know anyone that has been kicked out, if so, for what reason. I don't know anyone, nor have I heard any stories of anyone.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of the stories that hit the press etc are usually related to overstay, where basically they just didnt bother getting an extension and tried fyling under the radar.

Others had to switch to alternate category.

Those caught in (usually) criminal activity and have been sent directly to IDC and subsequently "kicked" out. or if they dont have the funds, held there until its paid.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, coastguard said:

Do you know anyone that has been kicked out, if so, for what reason. I don't know anyone, nor have I heard any stories of anyone.

I would have no idea I live in a small populated area and wouldn't know of anyone who's falangie being kicked legal or otherwise. 

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, coastguard said:

I see those words too, but, this is really just an explanation of the terms of your (granted) extension, stating that if the reason you listed in your application changes, then, the extension is terminated. 

All I could think of is let's say your reason for extension was retirement, and at some point you un-retired, and started working or started a business, then this extension would be terminated. But, I suspect, all that would mean is that you would need to get a new extension, listing your current reason for staying, i.e. a job (not retirement).

Cannot move from a retirement extension to a work extension, there is no such beast, I've tried and failed, you need to leave country get a Non-B Visa come back in and go to the labor department to get a work permit.

However if your married your allowed to work provided you can get a work permit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

One may meet the financial requirements this year, but there's no guarantee one will be able to meet the financial requirements next year. 

800k can become 1.5 million, or 120k baht a month,  with the stoke of a pen in Bangkok. 

Whilst I would like to think I can meet any any future requirements, you can never feel stable here.   

I think it's only a matter of time before compulsory health insurance, attached to a retirement visa, is introduced.  No health insurance, no visa.

You could have a Thai wife, a car, a condo, a farm, a bar, children etc, but you will NEVER have a right to live here.  All farang should have a Plan B alternative to living in Thailand.  

Good reminder, instead of buying that house I think I'll just keep renting?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Can could maybe? Don't live your life in fear of the unknown, you could, might get hit by a bus and it all becomes irrelevant! 

Thailand's New normal will be be a drastic cut in tourists in  the longterm. No  retirees getting kicked out without a seriouse crime and IMO won't be big changes in visa requirements 

A case of not killing the long unrecognised goose with funny coloured eggs?  Quelles surprise!!!

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

One may meet the financial requirements this year, but there's no guarantee one will be able to meet the financial requirements next year. 

800k can become 1.5 million, or 120k baht a month,  with the stoke of a pen in Bangkok. 

Whilst I would like to think I can meet any any future requirements, you can never feel stable here.   

I think it's only a matter of time before compulsory health insurance, attached to a retirement visa, is introduced.  No health insurance, no visa.

You could have a Thai wife, a car, a condo, a farm, a bar, children etc, but you will NEVER have a right to live here.  All farang should have a Plan B alternative to living in Thailand.  

my plan B is ready and waiting for me in the Philippines

• Like 2

There have been a few threads recently highlighting a potential problem for those on retirement extensions using the 800,000 Baht method.

The problem is when the IO retrospectively checks that you have met the holding requirements for the 800,000 Baht and the 400,000 Baht at your extension (e.g. you must prove you maintained the correct balances over the previous year).

If someone inadvertently let the balance dip, their extension will be denied. In theory they could be given 7 days to leave. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 1:28 PM, foreverlomsak said:

See the attached STM2 form that I was given to complete 2 days ago, they use the phrase "permission will be terminated",

STM2.jpeg

They don't list swearing at an officer :cheesy:, I know someone who was having a home visit, and he inadvertently used the F word, not even directed at them, he was told " I can revoke your visa" they didn't,  but they scared the poo out of him. ???? :cheesy:

4 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Also I think working 3 years min and paying taxes are not able to do for those of us who came over on retirement visa.

Yeah, that's kind of a weird requirement.  Invest a ton of money, get married, have kids, own property (through wife), but no permanent residency if you didn't pay a little bit of tax.

4 hours ago, madmen said:

Can could maybe? Don't live your life in fear of the unknown, you could, might get hit by a bus and it all becomes irrelevant! 

Thailand's New normal will be be a drastic cut in tourists in  the longterm. No  retirees getting kicked out without a seriouse crime and IMO won't be big changes in visa requirements 

"and IMO won't be big changes in visa requirements". Really? Compare the visas, retirement and marriage extensions requirements in Thailand before 2014 with now. Look at Thailand before the coup. Their soldiers can just take over at will from a properly elected government anytime, you just never know what is going to happen next. You would need to be a regular tourist or retiree from away back before that coup to compare things.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

I'm not sure you understood the question asked.

He didn't want to know of your plans A,B and C or fears of future regulation changes 

by the authorities, he clearly asked if anyone knew of anyone who had been kicked out.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Do people here long-term not ultimately aim for permanent residency?

Very very few can, it is just not worthwhile for them. I cannot be bothered explaining why, maybe some kind poster will.

Oh! I see someone already has. :sorry:

Edited by possum1931

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"and IMO won't be big changes in visa requirements". Really? Compare the visas, retirement and marriage extensions requirements in Thailand before 2014 with now. Look at Thailand before the coup. Their soldiers can just take over at will from a properly elected government anytime, you just never know what is going to happen next. You would need to be a regular tourist or retiree from away back before that coup to compare things.

What big changes has there been since before 2014 ? Besides insurance for OA.

You always had to account for 800k one way or another, put it aside or top up each year for a retire extension. Marriage extensions I cant recall any changes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What big changes has there been since before 2014 ? Besides insurance for OA.

You always had to account for 800k one way or another, put it aside or top up each year for a retire extension. Marriage extensions I cant recall any changes.

I wasn't on any of them, I either had a work permit, or was doing the visa based on marriage, I am really only going by things I have read mostly here on Thaivisa.

I notice you never mentioned about the hassle for tourists, ie long stayers under 50.

• Sad 1

Back in January 2019 I was tole my Non O renewal would not be granted. That last September my Bangkok bank did not process my deposit due to a new USA law that stipulated my address in Thailand must be on record at the New York bank. The funds had been returned to a "Remittance office" back in NY.  When I followed the instructions to contact "Remittance office notifying of my Thailand address I was asked to explain in detail. My normal deposit occurred during the fourth week of each month due to my birthday also in week four. This delayed my deposit by issuing the September month until October 1. I was told I needed to leave.

• Like 1