Is It Still Worth Moving To Thailand?

chang

The salient point is; men like me are not going to retire to a place where we're stigmatised and clearly not liked by the farangs or the locals.

This appears to be an extreme conclussion, don't you think so qwertz?....

There is not a single reason for you to believe that locals will not like you.

The problem with farangs is that there is another place in the world in where there are so many jerks concentrated. But among them there are a good bunch of guys, probably the majority, and these are the ones you will meet. It is just that they are quite in their way, while the jerks are noisy and this area of the TV forum is a good venue for them...

Edited by torito

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The salient point is; men like me are not going to retire to a place where we're stigmatised and clearly not liked by the farangs or the locals.

This appears to be an extreme conclussion, don't you think so qwertz?....

There is not a single reason for you to believe that locals will not like you.

The problem with farangs is that there is another place in the world in where there are so many jerks concentrated. But among them there are a good bunch of guys, probably the majority, and these are the ones you will meet. It is just that they are quite in their way, while the jerks are noisy and this area of the TV forum is a good venue for them...

Extreme, maybe hombre.

I was being a little oblique actually, just to keep things PC.

I was really conveying to maigo, thaigoon and co. that they needn't worry about an invasion of farangs of my standard.

Perhaps it hasn't occurred to them that we may be just as selective as them about the company we prefer.

And LOS, if already peopled by condescending types, may be low on our lists apart from the occasional holiday.

So, sorry to disappoint all those braced for the next wave of unwanted retirees, maybe we aren't coming.

Edited by qwertz

Threads often seem seem to turn to oldster or farang bashing and the old farang often becomes the favoured target.

I see the subject from a different angle as I'm an expat in Europe

Many older men here are divorced or widowed, have worked hard and are due to be pensioned.

They are often alone because their grown up family has little time for them.

Due to family or business commitments they never had the time or opportunity before to visit exotic places.

They are faced with the prospect of a boring retirement on a modest pension in the company of other pensioners.

That modest pension which hardly covers the heating bills here can ensure a relatively comfortable life in LOS.

I don't think most of these men actually move to LOS for the mongering, they discover it when they get there.

The first move is usually made by the women; old men are favoured targets for them too, for obvious reasons.

Most of these newer arrivals are not welcomed by the farangs already entrenched there because they might upset the balance, drive up the prices or alert the authorities that it's time to move the visa goalposts yet again.

It's a knotty problem for us all, especially men like me, due to retire and weighing all the pros and cons before making a decision on where to retire to.

Now your getting back to the real points of concern for a 57 year old like me who has already bin retired for three years. My concerns are about medical care and welcoming fellow foreigners, in that order. Girls are only a priority in what the landscape looks like day to day since even with pills my tools are older models.

I'm beginning to wonder who's more opposed to change in LOS, the Thais or the resident farangs.

Better just to be a tourist, I think, and bestow out modest pensions on the neighbouring nations, Thailand's future competitors.

China has already built an exact replica of an English village, complete with red phone kiosks and pillar boxes.

It would take a fraction of the time to build a Patpong or Bangla.

I'm beginning to wonder who's more opposed to change in LOS, the Thais or the resident farangs.

Better just to be a tourist, I think, and bestow out modest pensions on the neighbouring nations, Thailand's future competitors.

China has already built an exact replica of an English village, complete with red phone kiosks and pillar boxes.

Frankly, I'm only speaking for myself. I have no idea what other Thais think of farangs who tend to always put down Thailand, Thai people and the Thai gov't with their sheer ignorance and pompous attitude. But personally, I will be perfectly happy if they don't ever come to live in Thailand. In an ideal world, I want Thailand to have only people like Khun highdiver, Khun plus,Khun shochu, Khun Samran, Khun dumspero, khun Palm, Khun Sriracho John and several others (whose names escape me right now I'm sorry)..just not the certain type I've seen on here. And frankly Qwertz you fall into somwhere between the ones I like and the ones I don't. I also don't mean this as an offense to anyone else. It's just my personal opinion.

Edited by ThaiGoon

Frankly, I'm only speaking for myself. I have no idea what other Thais think of farangs who tend to always put down Thailand, Thai people and the Thai gov't with their sheer ignorance and pompous attitude. But personally, I will be perfectly happy if they don't ever come to live in Thailand. In an ideal world, I want Thailand to have only people like Khun highdiver, Khun plus,Khun shochu, Khun Samran, Khun dumspero, khun Palm, Khun Sriracho John and several others (whose names escape me right now I'm sorry)..just not the certain type I've seen on here. And frankly Qwertz you fall into somwhere between the ones I like and the ones I don't. I also don't mean this as an offense to anyone else. It's just my personal opinion.

Sheer ignorance..... this from a guy that probably still reads comic books, grew up in a house hold that beleives in ghosts, sticky rice acts as a blood thinner, drinking cold fluids is unhealthy, feng shui, and medallions bring fortune. Yep, we falangs are the ignorant ones.

Sheer ignorance..... this from a guy that probably still reads comic books, grew up in a house hold that beleives in ghosts, sticky rice acts as a blood thinner, drinking cold fluids is unhealthy, feng shui, and medallions bring fortune. Yep, we falangs are the ignorant ones.

Precisely. Thanks for just having given us the best example of what I was talking about.

"still reads comic books, grew up in a house hold that beleives in ghosts, sticky rice acts as a blood thinner, drinking cold fluids is unhealthy, feng shui, and medallions bring fortune." :o:D

Precisely. Thanks for just having given us the best example of what I was talking about.

"still reads comic books, grew up in a house hold that beleives in ghosts, sticky rice acts as a blood thinner, drinking cold fluids is unhealthy, feng shui, and medallions bring fortune." :o:D

If you do not do those things then you must not be Thai, if that is the case then your are a falang. So don't bother comming back to Thailand, Thailand has enough falangs as is. If you do, do those things then your are... what was the word you used...."ignorant" Yes that was the word. So pick your poison.

If you do not do those things then you must not be Thai, if that is the case then your are a falang. So don't bother comming back to Thailand, Thailand has enough falangs as is. If you do, do those things then your are... what was the word you used...."ignorant" Yes that was the word. So pick your poison.

:D You tried to argue that you are not ignorant by continuing to spill out stereotypes of Thai/Asian people and still insisting on them. This is getting beyond a joke. :D

It isn't a question of liking people who visit your country but rather one of mutual respect and aceptance.

Thailand spends a lot of money on tourist advertising, worldwide as far as I know

The accent is on hospitality and I think Thais and farangs have different notions of what that should be.

This is the real issue and you can't just settle there as a farang and regard it as your exclusive turf.

Nor can you as a Thai ignore the fact that these people bring money and pay forwhat they want.

The only element of the tourist industry which seems to have taken trouble to cater for tourists is the hotels.

I have my own observations on the farangs there as a good half of them seems opposed to other farangs.

I think if they settled there to avoid farangs it was a wrong decision.

Farangs, most of them, think that they are always right, and that they have the right to do whatever they want, wherever they go. They have, not all but specially uneducated ones, and impetuous and arrogant believe that nobody from the third world countries should confront them, with arguments or in any other situation.

Thaigoon is an uncommon person among Thais. He believes that he can confront and face farangs. Not that I like him or agree with all his arguments, but it would be great to have in this forum much more Thais like him, so farangs could taste their own medicine.

Some farangs pack in here, to say things about Thailand that are false, denigrate its people, derogative towards its culture, are racist, belittle its woman, among many others...and most times they find approving silence from other farangs..

If I would be Thai, I would not you like the things that are said in here against Thailand and its people.....I would hate the people who say these things, and I will want all of them out...understandable isn't?.

So relating this to the subject, yeah..... I think that farangs that accept their conditions of visitors in this country and behave accodingly, with respect to the locals, to the culture and social issues, can live very very comfortable in here. I have done it myself.

Thaigoon, these guys would bitch and moan no matter where they were, you as a Thai must be amazed at why these Farangs with their percieved higher intelligence and passports that can take them to any country they choose, still stay in a country they seem to dislike.....I 'm Farang and I'm amazed.

They unlike the vast majority of Thai people can CHOOSE to stay in Thailand or leave, they choose to stay and then complain about how difficult their lives are, it tells me their lives would be unchanged whatever their location on the planet, they would still he unhappy.

Feel sorry for them.... I do. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Some farangs pack in here, to say things about Thailand that are false, denigrate its people, derogative towards its culture, are racist, belittle its woman, among many others...

They are called Trolls and can be found on any internet forum, most probably couldn't find Thailand on a map of South East Asia.

Some farangs pack in here, to say things about Thailand that are false, denigrate its people, derogative towards its culture, are racist, belittle its woman, among many others...and most times they find approving silence from other farangs..

I agree with most of what you say but strongly disagree with this point. The only way to react to most such posts are (in my opinion) simply to ignore them. Stupidity cannot be argued with, and to dignify it with an answer will only serve the posters agenda and turn an otherwise interesting thread into a completely off topic flame-fest.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

Some farangs pack in here, to say things about Thailand that are false, denigrate its people, derogative towards its culture, are racist, belittle its woman, among many others...

They are called Trolls and can be found on any internet forum, most probably couldn't find Thailand on a map of South East Asia.

Amen to that, torito and maigo! What puzzles me is that the same people either choose to stay there or at least go back repeatedly and suffer the same ordeal.

It's a tendency that strikes me as almost masochistic when they are free to choose their destination and their company.

That's why I fail to understand the animosity and rejection between people who just as could easily avoid each other.

It could explain though why I seldom have problems there as I use LOS as a meeting point to get together with relatives from Oz and a few very old expat friends.

My contact with locals and other farangs is so minimal, I escape notice.

But we always enjoy, otherwise there would be no point in being there.

And most important, we accept what is on offer, the prices are affordable and we don't even consider the possibility of living there.

It may still be worth moving there but in this age of dwindling pensions and capricious exchange rates I think for the new wave of pensioners (which includes me) LOS is only one of several options.

Well, I think its worth moving to Thailand if you want to be in Thailand. For many expats, the decision to move to Thailand is not all about Thailand, there may be things in their home country that are so inconvenient that Thailand works better for them. As an American, I find getting health care near impossible (be sure to see Michael Moore's new movie Sicko if you really don't understand that), yet I have no problem getting most of my needs met here at any Boots store. So to my view, in some respects Thailand is a more free country than the USA, yet obviously in very important ways it is much less free (internet censorship etc.) Yet I also love many good things about Thailand, but I also notice many of the bad things. Like anything, you balance those out and make your life decisions. As we have no power here, I agree, if the balance goes to far to the negative, best to just leave, rather than be miserable.

Regarding whining, well, I am tolerant of it. This is why. In America you meet immigrants who have nothing but good things to say about the US, when in reality, it is not all good. Maybe they afraid of offending the natives, but I think they are just not so bright.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks, jingthing, I forgot to mention tolerance in my wish list.

And the things you mention are the benefits which often seem to be overlooked.

Not an easy decission right now with all that visa hassle better place to be Makati - Manila go in to the country and extend your visa for as long as you want it.

Of course it is not perfect but so it is with all the places, just things need to be in balance, and that balance is not there anymore in Thailand.

The next few months will show how it comes out, now I am back to Europe for a few weeks.

Well, I think its worth moving to Thailand if you want to be in Thailand.

Thanks, jingthing, I forgot to mention tolerance in my wish list.

And the things you mention are the benefits which often seem to be overlooked.

Totally agree. This means to be aware of the plus-minus as you 'qwertz' have been researching....it is all about taking an accountable decission.

For my own reasons it is still worth moving to Thailand but not so easy as it may have been, secure finances are essential along with a home in the UK to fall back on. I think many people come here for e a few weeks and like many other places in the world see a dream place but instead in many ways Thailand is not so good as the Uk especailly for older age and free state handouts.

It depends what "you" think is important in your life.

Right, sukanyacondo and as several BMs have mentioned, most of us have a choice and place to run to if things don't work out.

This doesn't just apply to LOS

In these unpredictable times there are no longer guarantees and anyone considering emigrating nowadays really does need a plan B.

I agree with the last couple of posts.Especially the plan 'B" thought.I think if you just want to stay in Thailand for whatever reason ,just go for it.I always think that if I need ....this kind of savings money,just double it.

That should be the plan "B",what are all the worries about?

LOS like many other places in the world, is great if you can cover the costs.

I've seen too many "expats" there and elsewhere who couldn't.

If you don't have a steady top up fund you can't hold out your hand there and get help.

And you may find your consulate singularly unhelpful in a crisis.

One other point. I do believe things have gotten more uncertain in the last few years. The changing visa rules. The political situation. Etc. So, agreed a Plan B is more important than ever. The old saw only bring to Thailand what you can afford to leave in Thailand applies today as usual, so even though I bought housing here, if I was coming over today, I would probably rent.