Renewing 1 Year Visa. Embassy VS Immigration.

Hello. I am planning on marrying my friend and obtaining a marriage cert. by the end of this year, and have fallen under the impression that it would be a lot easier to come home to the states every 9 months and renew my visa through the Embassy, rather than dealing with Immigration in Thailand. This is mostly because of the amount of paper work is WAY less when going through the Embassy. It will also give me a change to come back and work for a few months. Is there anything I am missing or overlooking here? I of course would be applying for the MEV and staying in Thailand for 9 months at a time. Thanks in advance for any expertise or input.

Best. 

The only visa you can apply for if married to a Thai is a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue. You have to leave and re-enter the country every 90 days for a new permit to stay.

If you apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration you do not have to leave the country unless you want to.

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only visa you can apply for if married to a Thai is a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue. You have to leave and re-enter the country every 90 days for a new permit to stay.

If you apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration you do not have to leave the country unless you want to.

Retirement visa, elite visa, ED visa

OP asked about marriage - that would be non immigrant O visa or multi entry O visa and only allow 90 days stay without a new entry (in normal times not a big deal).  He is also planning to work 3 months in USA before returning it appears.  So yes such a visa would work and allow short vacations every 3 months when in Thailand in order to obtain a new entry.  

But for most extension from immigration each year is not that much of an issue once aware of the process - what we read on forum is mostly the minority that have issues (as with any forum).  But in fact few have such issues.

OP, just obtain a non o (marriage). Subsequently obtain annual extensions based on marriage. 

The easiest way to meet the financials (imo) is to use money in the bank 400k baht for 2 months prior to application for extension, after which you can use it. No need to leave Thailand if you dont't wish to. Obtain a reentry permit if you do.

The idea of returning to usa every year is crazy. If you do wish and plan to return to usa every couple of years you could obtain non O-A. 

This guy @Peter Denis is bit of fan of O-A and has detailed guidelines. He also guidelines for obtaining a non o here in Thailand and the subsequent annual extensions.

Hi,

I did PM you a Guideline document on how to stay long-term in Thailand when +50 years (so eligible for 'retirement' Visa/extensions).

I agree with @DrJack54 that when married to a Thai national, that

1 - applying in your home-country for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage; OR

2 - entering Thailand VisaExempt and applying at your local IO for the 90-day Non Imm O visa for reason of marriage and subsequently applying for the 1-year extension based on that original Non Imm O Visa;

is probably your best option.

With current border restrictions making border-runs difficult/inconvenient/impossible, you will of course be confronted with the issue that option #1 will only provide you with a 90-day permission to stay, so when borders have not opened by the time that 90-day permission to stay is due to expire, you would have to apply for the 1-year extension based on that original Non Imm O Visa.

Note: Also 60-day covid-19 extensions could be an option when they are still being provided by Immigration (which is likely when border restrictions have not eased).

But when you are NOT married to a Thai national, you could consider applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country.  The main advantages of that Visa are that it can provide you with almost 2 years of Immigration hassle free stay in Thailand with

- NO need to apply for Visa or extensions at a local Thai Immigration office during those 2 years;

- NO need to park/transfer funds to a personal Thai bank-account to meet the Immigration financial requirements;

- the Non Imm O-A Visa is Multiple-Entry during its 1-year validity, and will provide you everytime with a 12-month permission to stay when entering Thailand during that 1-year Visa validity (but that permission to stay will be capped to the IO-approved 400K/40K health-insurance that is mandatory when applying for that Visa - the Guideline document I did sent you also contains an attachment explaining how to align the insurance validity with the permission to stay the Non Imm O-A Visa provides, to still make full use of the almost 2 years that Visa can provide you). 

The main drawback to apply for that interesting Non Imm O-A Visa (which can only be done in your home-country) is that it currently requires, as part of the CoE requirements that everybody entering Thailand is confronted with, the 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance.  And that insurance is required for the period of the permission to stay you will be provided when entering Thailand.  As the Non Imm O-A Visa provides you with 12 months permission to stay, you need to subscribe to such insurance for a full year.  When entering VisaExempt you would only need to subscribe to a policy for 45 days (the period of the permission to stay).

But if you do not want having to deal with Thai immigration for Visa or extensions of stay during your time in Thailand, the Non Imm O-A Visa will provide you with that possibility.

And when returning frequently to your home-country, you could re-apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa when over there at the end of the 2-year period (or earlier/later when timing for a new one would be inconvenient for you at the end of the 2-year period).

>> To access your PM-messages for the Guideline I did sent you, just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

peter denis, i am considering applying for an OA retirement visa in oz cos of benefits to me as you have outlined. my main reasons are utilizing my oz bank account for the financial requirement and re applying when on an annual visit to oz. also the almost 2 year stay with only the 1 application appeals. does this extra 12 months stamp require corresponding 400/40 insurance given that it is not a new application, renewal or even an extension of stay. would one have to or not have to produce a new ins policy at BKK airport when getting stamped in for the extra 12 months on re entry prior to expiration of visa period ?  

2 hours ago, Bvor said:

peter denis, i am considering applying for an OA retirement visa in oz cos of benefits to me as you have outlined. my main reasons are utilizing my oz bank account for the financial requirement and re applying when on an annual visit to oz. also the almost 2 year stay with only the 1 application appeals. does this extra 12 months stamp require corresponding 400/40 insurance given that it is not a new application, renewal or even an extension of stay. would one have to or not have to produce a new ins policy at BKK airport when getting stamped in for the extra 12 months on re entry prior to expiration of visa period ?  

You will only be stamped in to the extent you are covered by insurance. So yes you need to get a policy proof letter to show at the border to get your full 2nd 12 months.

1 hour ago, Bvor said:

Yes, one would have to show a new (or extended) insurance policy when re-entering Thailand on the still valid Non Imm O-A Visa, in order to get once again stamped in with the 12 months permission to stay that Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you.  The permission to stay you receive on re-entry will be capped to the insurance validity date, so it is a matter of having the insurance extended prior to re-entering Thailand.

> I did PM you a Guideline document on how to meet the 400K/40K health-insurance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country.  In case you are not able to make use of foreign/international insurance (using the FIC - Foreign Insurance Certificate) I also added a Guideline on how to subscribe to the cheapest 'throw-away' Thai IO-approved insurance that meets the 400K/40K requirement > that's the LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy with 200K deductible (which also has the additional advantage that it does not require a medical to subscribe to it). 

And in response to your specific question I also added an example with dates, how to ensure that the Non Imm O-A permission to stay you will receive on re-entering Thailand is aligned with the insurance expiry date, such that you can make full use of the 2 years Immigration hassle-free stay that Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you.  

thx tonray and peter denis......lmg ins online and OA issued in oz looks good for age 70 me re retirement visa.                                                                                            oa visa = 1 return airfare to oz per year compared to say TR60 visa = 3 return airfares to oz per year.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

This requires all the crazy paper work of maps and pictures with your spouse right? And a Thai bank account with 400,000 baht? Not just a TM-30 extension right?

11 hours ago, fishtank said:

12 monthly extensions from Immigration would be the  easiest option.

Very easy to do.

Don't believe the doom and gloom merchants on here who tell you otherwise.

Pretty straightforward to apply for every year.

The amount of paper work is crazy. Formatted maps of your address and pictures and bank statements. Also not sure if I have 400,000 baht right now.  It just sounded easier to come back and go to the Embassy. But I was wrong anyways because I CANT extend my stay at Immigration and have to leave every 90 days with the MEV. Thats what I didnt want to do. Every nine months would be different. But every 90 days wont work for me. 

29 minutes ago, racinkc1 said:

The amount of paper work is crazy. Formatted maps of your address and pictures and bank statements. Also not sure if I have 400,000 baht right now.  It just sounded easier to come back and go to the Embassy. But I was wrong anyways because I CANT extend my stay at Immigration and have to leave every 90 days with the MEV. Thats what I didnt want to do. Every nine months would be different. But every 90 days wont work for me. 

Well, just make sure whatever you do don't rob a bank or something crazy like that. Good luck and hope you can get what you want.

5 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

Don't follow your thread at all. The amount of paperwork is not as onerous as your making out. 

You state that you wish to come for 9 months each year. Most likely based on the idea of obtaining METV. That's not currently possible given border situation.

The 400k baht (approx 13k usd) in Thai bank you can't afford? Alternatively can use income method.

The money does not need to remain in bank after you obtain extension. You can use it to live off. 

If you time it right, with an 12 month extension to non O (marriage) you could obtain a reentry permit and still visit usa and return in time for your next annual extension.

6 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

Very little paperwork actually. 400,000 in a Thai bank or 40,000 monthly income.

I am sure your Wife can draw a simple map to your house. Takes one minute.

1,900 Baht fee.

8 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

This requires all the crazy paper work of maps and pictures with your spouse right? And a Thai bank account with 400,000 baht? Not just a TM-30 extension right?

That's correct.  Applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage (to a Thai national) does require that you provide evidence of +400.000 on a personal Thai bank-account at the moment of application.  And of course there are all the 'crazy' additional requirements to provide evidence that you are still married to your Thai wife, and that it is not a 'fake' application.

When applying for the 1-year extension based on that Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, which can be done in the last month of that 90-day Visa,  you need to show that the +400.000K has been maintained on your personal Thai bank-account for at least 2 months.  And you need to keep the funds there during the 'under consideration' period (which can take 3-4 weeks) until you receive the 1-year permission to stay stamp in your passport.  After that you are free to use the funds as you please.

And yes, you need to provide once again evidence of meeting the 'crazy' additional requirements that you are still married to your Thai wife.  

Of course having done it once to the satisfaction of your local Imm Office, would make the annual application for the 1-year extension easier, as you know the ropes.  But be prepared for the slight BS changes in the requirements that some offices (not all) like to impose, forcing you to 'come back again' after having met those new thingies (yes Fido, now jump this freshly-painted hoop and get your reward-stamp... Good dog!) 

But I was wrong anyways because I CANT extend my stay at Immigration and have to leave every 90 days with the MEV.

But you can normally extend 60 days to visit wife on each 90 day entry using normal TM7 at immigration so 9/10 months stay would only require one exit/return during normal times.

The amount of paper work is crazy. Formatted maps of your address and pictures and bank statements. Also not sure if I have 400,000 baht right now.  It just sounded easier to come back and go to the Embassy. But I was wrong anyways because I CANT extend my stay at Immigration and have to leave every 90 days with the MEV. That's what I didn't want to do. Every nine months would be different. But every 90 days wont work for me. 

Unless you applied for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country (see my earlier post in this thread), you can't have it both ways, i.e. both long-term stay without the need to leave/re-enter the county AND little documentation to be provided.

You wrote that 'every 90 days wont work for me'.  That is probably based on the misunderstanding that you would have to return to your home-country at the end of your 90-day permission to stay when not wanting to extend it in country at your local Imm Office.

When on an METV or a Multiple-Entry Non Imm O Visa (both to be applied for in your home-country), you could simply do a quick same-day border-run and be stamped in again for 2 months (METV) or 3 months (ME Non Imm O Visa). 

With current border-closures that is of course not possible, but Thai Immigration during these times now provides the option to apply for a 60-day Covid-19 extension, and you can keep on applying for those until Immigration stops issuing them (which would only be when border restrictions are lifted). 

So there is even the option to enter Thailand VisaExempt, and after having applied for the 'regular' 30-day extension from that entry, then continue your stay on those 60-day Covid-19 extensions.  And once border restrictions have been lifted, you could then apply at a near-by Thai Embassy/Consulate for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa or other option.

I am surprised that there are some people qeustioning the good will that Ubon Jo is always giving the best advice and solid advice and trying to help everybody the best he can . A certain person always thinks he knows better then everybody and always swimming against the stream whatever the subject is always thinks he knows best and everybody else is cleuless . It's amazing to me that this person keeps on going and is never thinking to take a breath and think maybe he is the one that's wrong or maybe just try to let things go and take them how they are without always wanting to bash people . Ubon your opinions and advice are always welcome to 99% of us and very helpfull don't mind this 1 knowitall . 

19 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I am surprised that there are some people qeustioning the good will that Ubon Jo is always giving the best advice and solid advice and trying to help everybody the best he can . A certain person always thinks he knows better then everybody and always swimming against the stream whatever the subject is always thinks he knows best and everybody else is cleuless . It's amazing to me that this person keeps on going and is never thinking to take a breath and think maybe he is the one that's wrong or maybe just try to let things go and take them how they are without always wanting to bash people . Ubon your opinions and advice are always welcome to 99% of us and very helpfull don't mind this 1 knowitall . 

All the posts I read in this thread are positive and certainly do not contradict what ubonjoe posted. Ubonjoe is extremely busy and if I was posting a question his advice for sure that would be most people's "go to advice".

Others often give details of process for various options and procedures so I would always welcome their suggestions.

Thinking your perception is strange. 

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

All the posts I read in this thread are positive and certainly do not contradict what ubonjoe posted. Ubonjoe is extremely busy and if I was posting a question his advice for sure that would be most people's "go to advice".

Others often give details of process for various options and procedures so I would always welcome their suggestions.

Thinking your perception is strange. 

Didn't mean to sound strange and surely not going to name names otherwise they will ban me again but a sertain TV member (F.S) ???? is always trying to correct or discredit other peoples replies but never has something to realy say by himself . 

39 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Didn't mean to sound strange and surely not going to name names otherwise they will ban me again but a sertain TV member (F.S) ???? is always trying to correct or discredit other peoples replies but never has something to realy say by himself . 

You can always report the offending posts and let the mods decide.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:01 AM, Bvor said:

Hello I did an O-A visa from USA in 2015 and then stayed in Thailand on extensions of stay until 2020. 

I am  in the USA now and my extension of stay expired so I decided to get a new O-A visa and are in the process of obtaining that visa now. 

if you have medical insurance and travel out of Thailand I like the O-A (basically get almost two years) because of the bank issue and ease of not dealing with CW.

I did have an issue with the Thailand embassy in USA in Washington DC that advised me my Cigna health insurance was not acceptable because I had a $10,000 USA deductible. Peter Denis helped me understand they were mistaken. Rather than fight with the embassy I bought another foreign insurance policy with a 5,000 dollar deductible and the Thailand Embassy is accepting that insurance. The foreign insurance company filled out the “compliance form” and were familiar with my issue with the Embassy. PM me if you need the health insurance contact information. 

My friends in Bangkok tell me now that CW is not busy like it was before and the extensions of stay are not taking all day. That almost affected my decision to not get the O-A but I simply don’t like CW cattle call and I don’t like paying an agent 25,000 baht to cut the CW wait to 2 hours. 

Best wishes. 

10 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I agree with you that Ubonjoe is an expert on visa issues and very helpful.

But I disagree with your other comments because Peter Denis and DrJack54 and BritManToo and others have been very helpful in their comments, advice and opinions to me on visa issues. I am sure they have helped many others also so let’s be thankful for them also. ????

8 hours ago, Wake Up said:

That almost affected my decision to not get the O-A but I simply don’t like CW cattle call and I don’t like paying an agent 25,000 baht to cut the CW wait to 2 hours. 

The is no need for any cattle call - you can make exact time appointments for retirement extensions of stay.  And it should never have cost 25k for an agent if you meet requirements from my understanding.

8 hours ago, Wake Up said:

My friends in Bangkok tell me now that CW is not busy like it was before and the extensions of stay are not taking all day. That almost affected my decision to not get the O-A but I simply don’t like CW cattle call and I don’t like paying an agent 25,000 baht to cut the CW wait to 2 hours

First up I agree with you that non O-A is an excellent option. Perhaps less attractive due to the rubbish insurance requirement and current covid situation.

I had similar issues with CW for extensions. I previously referred to it as my "hell day", not because of the immigration officers but just the amount of time doing the process.

Now it's very different. With the appointment system I was in and out in 40minutes (extension retirement).

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And it should never have cost 25k for an agent if you meet requirements from my understanding.

Correct and also your point re appointment system. I cannot believe how smoothly it works.

There are folk here that are using agents and avoid the money in Thai bank requirement. That fee is closer to 16k baht.

10 hours ago, Wake Up said:

I agree with you that Ubonjoe is an expert on visa issues and very helpful.

But I disagree with your other comments because Peter Denis and DrJack54 and BritManToo and others have been very helpful in their comments, advice and opinions to me on visa issues. I am sure they have helped many others also so let’s be thankful for them also. ????

I agree with you about those others as well they where not the ones i was talking about i was talking about 1 specific person . Ofcourse there are others with very good advice and comments as well . Thanks to everybody offering good advice and helpfull comments . Try to look back at all the comments and replies FritsSikkink has made over the past then you know what i am talking about . To bad if i get banned for naming 1 specific person but that's how i am thinking about it and just wanted to say what i think . 

Archived