Are you happy with your Childs education?

MickeyMaow

1 hour ago, Puwa said:

Amazing how two insufferable douchebags can ruin a thread. Imagine what they do to their poor children.

Another day another mass shooting in America.  231 mass shootings YTD apparently....

So sad, complete waste of lives... Far too risky for me.

On 5/25/2021 at 7:50 AM, BritManToo said:

Q: Why do you want a salary?

A: So you can buy a house and support a family

And travel the world, amazing holidays, eat excellent food, go to events, buy fun toys, live life.....

Q: What salary do you need to buy a house and start a family?

A: In the USA $5,000/month, In Thailand 25,000bht/month

That would be a pretty crappy house in Thailand (Bangkok). Lots of Thai people live in my moo-baan....  a mortgage here would be 2-3x that - rent is 2-3x that. 

Q: How much does a degree cost?

A: In the USA $100,000, in Thailand 100,000Bht

That doesn’t even pay for half of a term at an International School. 

A 100,000 baht Thai University Education is not worth much in Thailand, Internationally, its worth nothing. 

Chula, Rangsit, Thammarsat, Assumption, Chiang Mai may see people competing for decent jobs in Thailand.

Working behind the desk in a bank is not a decent job BTW. 

Q: In which of those 2 countries can you buy a house with a mortgage 1 year after graduating from university?

A: Thailand.

A hut in the middle of no-where.... no thanks. 

So in the end Thailand effectively pays the highest wage, and you didn't leave university owing a fortune. My daughter just graduated after 4 years at CMRU, fees were around 16,000bht/year, expenses very little as she lived at home with us. She has no debt, but unfortunately no job because of COVID. I'm guessing the job market for new graduates in the USA ain't that good either at the moment.

Thailand offers abysmal prospects in education and social mobility.

Any student who is fully educated solely in Thailand in the Thai public system is limited to a life in Thailand. 

If thats the only goal - a quiet life in Thailand then fair enough - but I think others may have their sights set a little higher for their children. 

11 hours ago, canthai55 said:
18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

but I think others may have their sights set a little higher for their children.

I hear this a lot - both on this thread and life in general.

It is not YOUR sights you should be looking at.

Thats an utterly ridiculous response.... What sights does a 5 year old have set for their future ???? 

Support your child in whatever THEY want to do.

You support your 5 year old in ‘whatever he wants to do’ ?? I choose a different approach and set boundaries, one of those boundaries is ensuring he attends a good school so that he knows what there is available to him so he can chose whatever he wants to do when he’s mature enough to make such choices. 

It is not about the life YOU want - it is about the life THEY want.

A 5 year old has no idea of the life he wants....  neither does a 10 year old...  

It is my job as a parent to provide a sufficient standard of education such that my child can make an informed choice when he is capable and also to ensure that his education is sufficient such that he still has a choice. 

Accumulating wealth is not part of having a happy life - doing what you love, being content should be the goal.

Why are the two not mutually compatible ???  Happiness is important... who over said you don’t need money to be happy was not presenting the full picture...  happiness and money can be combined. A good education provides the tools to support being happy and content..... 

4 hours ago, CMHomeboy78 said:

That's an exceptionally good reply.

I agree, encourage them from an early age to follow whatever talents or natural aptitudes they may have but don't try to make them conform to your own ideas of what they should be.

Do you really think a Thai government school follows whatever talent and natural aptitudes a child may have ???

4 hours ago, CMHomeboy78 said:

All things considered, private schools in Thailand are as good as most, and better than many in other parts of the world.

The most important lessons are learned at home.

Agreed, but the most important ‘education’ comes from a decent educational facility....  

Thus, providing a child with an education that offers more choice than one which limits their life to Thailand is of key importance....  

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A 5 year old has no idea of the life he wants....  neither does a 10 year old... 

You are the one who brought age into it - I did not.

You make a lot of assumptions - like knowing what I meant when I posted, instead of asking me what I meant if you are not sure.

And you are not sure - or correct.

Maybe read my post again. If you have any questions, post them in the form of a reply, worded nicely and with respect.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are the one who brought age into it - I did not.

You make a lot of assumptions - like knowing what I meant when I posted, instead of asking me what I meant if you are not sure.

And you are not sure - or correct.

Maybe read my post again. If you have any questions, post them in the form of a reply, worded nicely and with respect.

You don’t think age is relevant when discussing the education of a child and their ability to make their own choices ?

Argue the argument... 

You’ve contradicted my point (quotes below) and clipped my quote which is perhaps why you lost context - the full quote is in context further below. 

14 hours ago, canthai55 said:
21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

but I think others may have their sights set a little higher for their children.

I hear this a lot - both on this thread and life in general.

It is not YOUR sights you should be looking at.

Support your child in whatever THEY want to do.

It is not about the life YOU want - it is about the life THEY want.

Accumulating wealth is not part of having a happy life - doing what you love, being content should be the goal.

"Any student who is fully educated solely in Thailand” that means educated from an early age... age naturally comes into as children of an early age are unable to make their own informed choices... Parents have to make informed choices on behalf of their children...   

Thus: IF quoting me and criticising the statement don’t loose the context.

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thailand offers abysmal prospects in education and social mobility.

Any student who is fully educated solely in Thailand in the Thai public system is limited to a life in Thailand. 

If thats the only goal - a quiet life in Thailand then fair enough - but I think others may have their sights set a little higher for their children. 

Edited by richard_smith237

YOU mentioned 5 and 10 year olds. Who in their right mind would think that they can make informed decisions ?

Context - I never said anything you decided to disagree with - so you are arguing with yourself. And still having a hard time conducting an intelligent conversation I see.

Back under your bridge.

On 3/4/2021 at 10:41 AM, BritManToo said:

My girl, age 22 now, has never been allowed any 'private' contact with men, unless as part of a group or with a parent present.

I have a daughter myself. But read your comment and thought it was a bit over the top. Is she not allowed to have a boyfriend. Its normal you know....

On 3/6/2021 at 10:39 AM, Pilotman said:

out of the clutches of the Buddhist mafia here,

Come on. Are you for real???  

I live here a long time and have a daughter. Never even thought about such BS

8 hours ago, CMHomeboy78 said:

That's an exceptionally good reply.

I agree, encourage them from an early age to follow whatever talents or natural aptitudes they may have but don't try to make them conform to your own ideas of what they should be.

My mother, may she rest in peace, was from a big, well-to-do family and was forced from the age of five until her early teens to take piano lessons at home with the idea of becoming a concert pianist. 

She hated it - rebelled and in her late teens and early twenties became something like a character out of a Scott Fitzgerald novel.

That was an excellent lesson for me in raising our own daughters here in Thailand. We knew we would have to play a part in their upbringing and try to make the right decisions.

All things considered, private schools in Thailand are as good as most, and better than many in other parts of the world.

I was, as a child made to play the organ, practice it every day for an hour. We had an organ at home, but I still hated it. I went through years of learning to read music, practising, but rebelled and my parents let me off. Now I know next to nothing of reading music. I wish my parents had been harsh and forced me to practice. I would thank them for it. Sadly, they did not.

Children need a guiding hand. They're children and know nothing. Unless you guide them in the right direction they will not make the best choices.

I would agree though that private schools in Thailand are every bit as good or better than normal schools in the west.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CMHomeboy78 said:

Assisting your children to build a strong foundation for learning is the key.

Once that is accomplished, no matter which way they decide to go later in life, they will have to tools to get there.

• Like 1

At least in the West, higher learning has been taken over by the 'Upper Classes'

Tuition costs are so high that it is all but impossible for lower and lower-middle income households to pay for their childrens education.

And Elementary, Junior High and High school have policies where all children are given a passing grade, whether they know the subject or not.

If you can not read this slams shut most doors.

Sad to see - but I believe it is part and parcel of Class struggle and Racial Bias.

"We don't mind a 'few' (insert race here) students at our school, but ...

Make sure they know their place, and make sure they are kept in it.