Are you happy with your Childs education?

MickeyMaow

Just now, stament said:

Your wife could live in the west couldn't she, just because she's Thai doesn't mean you have to live here. 

Sounds like you don't want to live here with that statement.

100% wrong, I love living in Thailand, but if I had children, I would put them first.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

I live in a rural location, and my wife has two teenage sons from a previous marriage to a Thai man. The boys are clueless about chemistry, biology, physics, maths, geography, history and languages. If we did end up having a child, there is no way that I would ever want my child to have the same level of education. I would want my child to have the best chances in life, and if that meant taking them back to the West to get a proper education, I would do it without hesitation.

My sister in law is head of science and deputy head at a government school, never hear of Galileo and did not know all objects falls at the same rate ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

100% wrong, I love living in Thailand, but if I had children, I would put them first.

But your opening sentence was....

I only live in Thailand because I have a Thai wife.....????

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

My sister in law is head of science and deputy head at a government school, never hear of Galileo and did not know all objects falls at the same rate ????

Thai education is saving g for strings?

• Confused 2

On 3/5/2021 at 11:59 PM, holy cow cm said:

The real answer is, some of the teachers are a complete waste of time and some are good. I have one at CMU and one who just graduated M6 and is going to go to CMU. Education is better in the USA, but the dangers are far greater in the USA now too. Thye can do their Masters online or go abroad after if they want. 

What dangers in the USA are you referring to?

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

I did just that although I had my wife's support 100% and she wanted to move to the USA.

After having our son in Prem International School in Chiang Mai, when we returned to the USA he was tested 1 year behind.

Coming to the USA 100% perfect English, Mandarin and written/spoken Thai. He has now had 7 years of Spanish and can speak, read and write.

The school system caught him up and now he is finishing his AA degree from Uni of Florida. National Honor Society.

2 more years to go.

He will have a great future and not stuck earning 15,000 thb a month in Thailand.

My wife never wants to move back to Thailand or my son.

So it was the correct decision for MY family.

Every has their own decisions to make, what they feel best is for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

I did just that although I had my wife's support 100% and she wanted to move to the USA.

After having our son in Prem International School in Chiang Mai, when we returned to the USA he was tested 1 year behind.

Coming to the USA 100% perfect English, Mandarin and written/spoken Thai. He has now had 7 years of Spanish and can speak, read and write.

The school system caught him up and now he is finishing his AA degree from Uni of Florida. National Honor Society.

2 more years to go.

He will have a great future and not stuck earning 15,000 thb a month in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2021 at 12:16 AM, Hanuman2547 said:

Overall I was pretty satisfied with the education my two boys received in Thailand.  They studied P1-6 at Sathit Suansunandha and M1-3 at Bangkok Christian College.  After that they went to the US for grades 10-12.  Both went to university and graduated.  One works in the high tech industry but on the business side of things.  The other one works in financing of commercial real estate.  He double majored in business and economics.  After about three years working he applied to Law school and got accepted.  He decided not to go as he didn't want to take on all the student loan debt for Law School which runs about $100-$150K at that time.

That is where the father steps in!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

2 more years to go.

Pleased for you, each to their own.  We all know the Thai education system is inferior in TH apart from a very few very expensive Thai private schools compared to western schools.  It all depends what you want, education isn't just done at school.  

Personally, I like different aspects from the west and Thailand.  London is a dangerous place to live now and I'm glad I didn't live there when I was in England - I only got mugged there once!

Our youngest son went to English primary school but we moved to Dubai and are now in Thailand.  We always said we wanted them to go to be fluent in Thai & English.  Hence, we chose a bilingual school for our boys so they can also learn the Thai culture.   Living in Thailand also means they can see their family (as I have limited family in England).

The plan is for them to return to study GCSEs in England and go to Universities there,  but let's see - maybe they aren't clever enough or want to do something different.   We go back every couple of years to England, but last year we were unable due to covid.  They enjoy being in England and of course the cooler weather!

I myself prefer living in Thailand from a personal and family perspective but could earn more elsewhere.  However, we've decided to have more of a work-life balance so Thailand suits better.

All our boys have English passports so they have options.  I help them with their studies at home.  Oldest is struggling a little to get the highest grades - got a GPA 3.93 2 years ago and 3.95 last year.  I said to him that he needs to be getting a 3.95 and playing less on his phone!!!   

What has impressed me a little bit is our school's online schooling,.  I spoke to my friends and he said that his girls had missed so much school and they just collect work and have had very little teacher interaction during the long lockdowns and restrictions in England.  This year it's noticeably better too as last year the need for online learning came out of the blue so many schools didn't have enough time to fully prepare.  These last 2 weeks since online school has returned I can see improvements.  I still think online schooling for KG students is a waste of time though!!!  Well it certainly seems to be for my son ????

The middle one got a GPA of 4.0 (Primary 2) but I take that with a pinch of salt at that level.  The youngest (KG2) - well, he doesn't seem to be interested at the moment and is driving my wife mad with his online learning! 

I agree with you, it's a personal choice for everyone to make.  There are pros and cons with everything and not every individual is in the same circumstances, familywise, moneywise, etc, etc.  What's good for the gander isn't necessarily good for the goose!

My two penneth this early in the morning.  You make your choice, you take your chance.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 11:25 AM, BritManToo said:

because no woman from your home country wanted you.

Same for all of us.

I admit to that, though as a young man I once had someone for several years. It was mostly a good time until it fell apart. After that, I can't believe I endured a solid decade of the dating scene.

Dating sites, ridiculous expectations, navigating through awkward conversations, trying to find some secret magic words, and not step on any eggshells. That's what finally made me go back to uni, and as soon as that was done, simply hop on a plane.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 9:04 AM, cardinalblue said:

like nurses (RNs) make make 100b an hour in CM compared to $25-30 an hour in California

Me and my Thai wife's plan is a few more years here in the LOS, then back to the US. Her restaurant and hotel experience would go much further there. Luckily mom escaped California some years back, so we've got a place there.

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Hah, did you see Oakland, CA is now trying to cancel math classes, because they're RACIST? Look up the recent WSJ article.

My God. When I was young, what I needed was someone to get me more into math, not cancel it. And thus, we're now importing STEM labor from China and India, as we failed to produce enough of such graduates.

14 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

What dangers in the USA are you referring to?

Really? To a girl who is naïve about how American boys and men and even how the girls are it opens up so many dangers of rape and getting taken advantage of unless she shelters and hermits down studying only. Thailand is much safer by far.

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Really? To a girl who is naïve about how American boys and men and even how the girls are it opens up so many dangers of rape and getting taken advantage of unless she shelters and hermits down studying only. Thailand is much safer by far.

Especially if you are not White

11 minutes ago, stament said:

seems that way, applies to men too - more dangerous if you aren't white, police shootings, etc.

It helps if you do as the cop tells you, follow orders. Something they haven't taught some minorities.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Especially if you are not White

My kids do not have the street sense that I have and how Americans are. Even as they grew up in CM they do not have Bangkok street sense. Basically Americans are dangerous if someone is naive and trusting and then different areas.. Also abduction and human trafficking is prevalent. If I lived in the USA with them then ok, but I would just not send them alone.

10 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Even in the late 80's in the USA I sent my son to a private school, can't even imagine how screwed up the education system is now. From what I read, it's bad.

Depends on the area, but my area in the Bay Area south of San Francisco in the nice suburbs have now out priced anyone who has moved out and not a millionaire. I see CM as a relatively really safe place to live. If they want to go do a Masters or something then maybe, but but but

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

It helps if you do as the cop tells you, follow orders. Something they haven't taught some minorities.

Well even in my day I was always out and about all the time running around, and if a cop said to do something then you did it or face the consequences. Problem now is these kids just want to buck that and honestly most of the time they get what they deserve. If my kids went to school there I don't worry about them and the police. Just worry about everything else. And yes I think the education is loads above Thailand's BS system.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Can still be pulled over for DWB - driving while Black

Cops ask you to do all kinds of things they have no right to ask for, and some are blatantly illegal.

18 year olds with a badge, a gun, and an attitude.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Can still be pulled over for DWB - driving while Black

Cops ask you to do all kinds of things they have no right to ask for, and some are blatantly illegal.

18 year olds with a badge, a gun, and an attitude.

Do all kinds of things?? You mean like license and registration or maybe the old put your hands where I can see them?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Do all kinds of things?? You mean like license and registration or maybe the old put your hands where I can see them?

Let me run a couple of names by you ...

George Floyd - Mott Haven district in the South Bronx

These "All Kind of Things"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Let me run a couple of names by you ...

George Floyd - Mott Haven district in the South Bronx

These "All Kind of Things"

They didn't get the talk about cooperating with the cops. 

11 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Any clue how many women are raped in Thailand everyday? Sold into prostitution by their parents?

Of course you don't because Thailand never reports the truth about anything. You have no idea.

Thai girls shipped off all over the world with false promises of jobs to be forced into prostitution?

A naïve girl like a 20 year old Thai marrying a 70 year old foreigner?

Open your eyes man.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Any clue how many women are raped in Thailand everyday? Sold into prostitution by their parents?

Of course you don't because Thailand never reports the truth about anything. You have no idea.

Thai girls shipped off all over the world with false promises of jobs to be forced into prostitution?

A naïve girl like a 20 year old Thai marrying a 70 year old foreigner?

Open your eyes man.

• Confused 1