U.S. Border Patrol arrests 4,500 migrants in a day, a major increase amid fears of surge

webfact

4 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

It seems that if the the current administration can't blame Trump for their failures, than they have a penchant for blaming the weather, but of course they would since the weather is an evil aspect of climate which they intend to correct through their New Green Deal.

And I blame Mexico because they didn't pay!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

And I blame Mexico because they didn't pay!

...and the President of Mexico is now blaming Biden for the Border Fiasco.  Everybody is blaming someone else, instead of accepting any sort of blame themselves LOL.  The Blame Game is alive and well with politicians; always has been and always will.

11 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I can't believe that anyone can still debate that there is no crisis on the southern border right now, and can really believe that the present Administration is not trying minimize the optics of it.  A "manageable challenge"?  YEAH, RIGHT!

Blah blah blah....yeah, whatever.  It's not a crisis.  All I care about is that these people be treated humanely and they get processed for legal entry expeditiously.  You and I see this differently and that's fine....but we won the election and we get to do things our way.  I don't see these people as criminals or invaders.  They're just people seeking a better life....this has been happening for decades.  Migrants, legal or otherwise, have never had a negative impact on my life when I was in the USA. 

When Trump was President, I'd point out his defects and his supporters would just ignore it.  I suppose Biden supporters should do the same.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Blah blah blah....yeah, whatever.  It's not a crisis.  All I care about is that these people be treated humanely and they get processed for legal entry expeditiously. 

Yeah no crisis here all humanely treated in a pod designed for 80 holding 709

https://twitter.com/i/status/1375459880723755014

Yup nothing ...nothing at all...carry on

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2

On 3/27/2021 at 9:01 AM, WaveHunter said:

...but according to him in his one and only press conference, he's been a senator for 120 years LOL!

It's been noted by psychologists that right wingers tend to to find irony challenging.  It was obvious to the people there that Biden was kidding. Or at least to those there in possession of adequate mental faculties.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

You can laugh at the present situation at the border and the current administration's unwillingness to be honest and transparent about it, or Covid, or the economy?  IMO, you have a very strange sense of humor if find anything about that to be funny at all.

I believe it's the utter and obvious 

obliviousness of your comment that is providing the amusement. And thank you for providing this latest one as well. So funny.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

It's not a crisis?  Well, ignorance must be bliss for you, I guess.

"We" won the election?  What do you think this all is; some sort of silly game?  The "We" you speak of is the American people, ALL of the people!  The President promised to unite us ALL.  Well he certainly is failing to do that, and one of the main reason why is people like you who think this is just some silly game that you won, and can't see the big picture.

If you were truly concerned with these children being treated humanely, you would realize that they are all showing up at the border because Mexican Cartels are making money getting them there with false hopes of a better life while robbing their families of their life-savings for a "ticket" to that better life. 

What you fail to realize is that many of those children are under the thumb of the Mexican Cartels who gave them their "ticket" to get to the border.  During the trip, it's been documented that many are being physically and sexually abused by the Cartel members.  Is that your definition of HUMANE?

Do you think that ticket was was for free and has no strings attached?

Think again!  Many of those children will go to work for the Cartels once in the US to pay off their debts.  Some will be put to to work in the sex trade!  Is that your definition of HUMANE??? 

FYI, US asylum laws and the criteria for granting asylum are very specific.  They are not intended to address anything but political persecution by the home country's government.  They are not to enable someone to escape poverty or even gang violence. 

There are LEGAL ways to do that like immigrants have done for hundreds of years that want a better life.  Asylum is not the way to do it.  

The vast majority of asylum seekers at the border right now do NOT qualify for asylum.  Biden's policies that prompted the migration are inhumane because it motivated Mexican Cartels to cash in by spreading false hope of a better life through Asylum in exchange for a "ticket" to the Border.

Yeah, you have a real good understanding of what's really going on there right now.  I guess you're entitled to your ill-informed opinion, but you talk through your hat and actually know very little of the REAL world!

“FYI, US asylum laws and the criteria for granting asylum are very specific.  They are not intended to address anything but political persecution by the home country's government. ”

Please do us all a favor and stop posting such ill informed nonsense.

The definition of requirements to be granted Asylum under US Law are codified in 8 U.S. Code § 1158 - Asylum.

A refugee eligible for Asylum is someone: 

who is unable or unwilling to return to, and is unable or unwilling to avail himself or herself of the protection of, that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion, or (B) in such special circumstances as the President after appropriate consultation (as defined in section 1157(e) of this title).”

Your personal emotions regarding immigrants is not any guide to what the law says.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

You can laugh at the present situation at the border and the current administration's unwillingness to be honest and transparent about it, or Covid, or the economy?  IMO, you have a very strange sense of humor if find anything about that to be funny at all.

I’m not laughing at the present situation at the border, it’s a nightmare crated by four years of racist hate mongering and it surely will not be fixed over night.

The faux outrage from  illiberals is, however, extremely amusing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meechai said:

If indeed we have no crisis at the southern border—then why has the White House issued what amounts to a gag order on ICE and other border personnel?  As Chris Wallace asked Jen Psaki, yesterday on Fox, “What are you hiding?”

Edited by Isaan sailor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, meechai said:

No crisis. Issues yes. Legacy from past years and been managed humanely by the current adminstration. The public is more concern on the pandemic and economic recovery and only scant interest in the immigration issues. Why make a mountain out of a mole hill. 

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong word
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

If indeed we have no crisis at the southern border—then why has the White House issued what amounts to a gag order on ICE and other border personnel. As Chris Wallace asked Jen Psaki, “What are you hiding?”

Tell me which organizations you have ever worked for in which you were authorized to speak to the press?

ICE is rife with Trump appointees, it is wise to hold them to the normal requirement that only to appointed spokes person speaks to the press.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not laughing at the present situation at the border, it’s a nightmare crated by four years of racist hate mongering and it surely will not be fixed over night.

The faux outrage from  illiberals is, however, extremely amusing.

Nice to see you have an objective and unbiased outlook on things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Nice to see you have an objective and unbiased outlook on things.

Yes, when I say ‘FYI (then state what is US law)’

I objectively and unbiasedly refer to what US law actually says, and add both a quotation and a reference to the law under discussion.

You of course use some other measure of what’s ‘objective and unbiased’.

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Tell me which organizations you have ever worked for in which you were authorized to speak to the press?

ICE is rife with Trump appointees, it is wise to hold them to the normal requirement that only to appointed spokes person speaks to the press.

Right, the media was directed to the Biden administration in Washington for any questions about the illegal teens and children being held on the border.  Strange they had no one there who could comment.  And no pictures allowed.  Nothing to see there?

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

No crisis. Issues yes. Legacy from past years and been managed humanely by the current adminstration. The public is more concern on the pandemic and econimic recovery and only scant interest in the immigration issues. Why make a mountain out of a mole hill. 

The issue at the border is ABSOLUTELY a crisis, not just on a humanitarian basis but in terms of national security. 

Perhaps you fail to realize that it is not just people coming up from Central and South America but people from all around the world that are now focused on breaching our Southern Border.

People from countries with radical elements that wish harm to America, countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, Nigeria, Syria, Yemen and Pakistan are taking advantage of the porous nature of our southern border caused by the current surge.

So, when we have some major terrorist event within our borders in the near future,  will you still feel that what's happening right now is not a crisis, but merely a manageable issue?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

First of all I am not a right-winger.  I am an independent voter, and I can be just as critical of a politician from the left as the right, which apparently you can not (or will not ) do.

It was not obvious at all that Biden was attempting to be humorous.  It was a MAJOR gaffe because he didn't even try to correct himself.  If it was supposed to be humorous, he would have paused and smiled.  There would have been some visual cue.  There was none.

Everyone including those on the left acknowledge he is a "gaffe machine".  There's nothing funny about it when he refers to "President Harris", or when his sentences start to trail off into obscurity and he gets that lost confused look, like when he was discussing the filibuster. 

None of this is funny; it's actually quite scary when a Commander in Chief, the most powerful man in the world, can't even follow a scripted message, much less express what he thinks on important matter of state without cue cards!

Anyone who thinks Biden had it under control in that train wreck of a press conference needs to have their head examined!

That is your opinion and fine with me. I have seen train wreck press conference last 4 years and in a good position to judge. Biden's did fine albeit not inspiring. He came across as decent, coherent, focus, reasonable, reasonably progressive and someone who knows his mind. I am sure that you as an independent will welcome the improvement on matters such as lies, misinformation, boasts and threats of previous press conferences; right? 

Edited by Eric Loh
grammar correction
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

First of all I am not a right-winger.  I am an independent voter, and I can be just as critical of a politician from the left as the right, which apparently you can not (or will not ) do.

It was not obvious at all that Biden was attempting to be humorous.  It was a MAJOR gaffe because he didn't even try to correct himself.  If it was supposed to be humorous, he would have paused and smiled.  There would have been some visual cue.  There was none.

Everyone including those on the left acknowledge he is a "gaffe machine".  There's nothing funny about it when he refers to "President Harris", or when his sentences start to trail off into obscurity and he gets that lost confused look, like when he was discussing the filibuster. 

None of this is funny; it's actually quite scary when a Commander in Chief, the most powerful man in the world, can't even follow a scripted message, much less express what he thinks on important matter of state without cue cards!

Anyone who thinks Biden had it under control in that train wreck of a press conference needs to have their head examined!

First of all I am not a right-winger.

It might not seem fair but if you choose to post your opinions on an open forum, those who read what you post are very likely to make a judgement on your political leanings based, not on what you claim to be, but on what your posts indicate you are.

From what I have read of your posts I believe you to be a rightwing illiberal. 

But as I say, that’s based on my readings of your posts which is the only objective evidence we have.

6 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Right, the media was directed to the Biden administration in Washington for any questions about the illegal teens and children being held on the border.  Strange they had no one there who could comment.  And no pictures allowed.  Nothing to see there?

Sometimes you luck out. It happens.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

The issue at the border is ABSOLUTELY a crisis, not just on a humanitarian basis but in terms of national security. 

Perhaps you fail to realize that it is not just people coming up from Central and South America but people from all around the world that are now focused on breaching our Southern Border.

People from countries with radical elements that wish harm to America, countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, Nigeria, Syria, Yemen and Pakistan are taking advantage of the porous nature of our southern border caused by the current surge.

So, when we have some major terrorist event within our borders in the near future,  will you still feel that what's happening right now is not a crisis, but merely a manageable issue?

Seem a re-cycled conspiracy theory started by the former President in October 2018 suggesting immigrants from the Middle East countries travelled among thousands of Hondurans in a US bound column. You must a big fan of Trump. When asked for information to support the assertions, crickets. So if you have any information, please share. 

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

That is your opinion and fine with me. I have seen train wreck press conference last 4 years and in a good position to judge. Biden's did fine albeit not inspiring. He came across as decent, coherent, focus, reasonable, reasonably progressive and someone who knows his mind. I am sure that you as an independent will welcome the irmprovement on matters such as lies, misinformation, boasts and threats of previous press conferences; right? 

Look I agree that you're entitled to your opinion just as I am to mine, but for the life of me I can't see how you can say that Biden's press conference was coherent and focused.  It was anything but!

First of all, the main purpose of a President's initial presidential press conference is to allow the public to judge how "presidential" he/she really is.  It is very much about optics.  Does he look presidential?  Does he act presidential?  Does he speak from the heart with conviction?  Does he really grasp the issues and have a strategy for dealing with them?

I saw nothing presidential in his presentation.  He made minimal eye contact with the camera, mostly just staring down at his scripted answers to scripted questions from reporters.  It was very obvious to me that the whole Q&A had been rehearsed beforehand.

The reporters that were called on asked only disingenuous and fluffy questions, sometimes embarrassingly so like the question from Yamiche Alcindor of PBS about the border premised on the idea that “you’re a nice guy.”

The fact is that no real hard ball questions were even asked of him by reporters at all, certainly none like those that were asked of Trump by the likes of Jim Acosta during most of his press conferences. 

And even though he was essentially just reading scripted answers from his vast collection of notes that he was constantly shuffling through, he even had trouble delivering those message without looking confused like he didn't even know what he was saying, much less having any conviction to what he was saying except an occasional comment laced with false bravado like you'd expect from a second rate actor in a real bad play.

Biden promised to be the most transparent administration in history, yet it took him over 60 days to do this press conference, and in many other appearances, he simply refuses to answer reporter questions and just walks off stage.  That is not very presidential.

Sorry, I am not impressed with the man at all or many of the people in his administration like Alejandro Mayorkas, secretary of homeland security, or White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki.  For an administration that promised to be transparent and answerable to the American people, they are ALL doing a seriously poor job of it by anyone's standards.

• Like 2