Pink ID card

I just used Pink ID this morning for the DLT appointment app, you need a Thai ID number to use the app.

The app wont take a passport/license number.

Same with a 7/11 loyalty card, it would only take Thai ID number to sign up.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, carlyai said:

One thing I found out last week about the pink card.

On the back of my car licence is a heading called Restrictions. The restrictions are that I have to take a piece of paper from the local amphur when I travel outside the district and show it with my licence if asked by police.

Evidently if you renew your licence with your pink card as I'D and not your passport you get this restriction notice on your licence.

What does it all mean? Nothing I think. Someone driving outside the area was asked for the piece of paper at a recent roadbroadblock by a junior police person, and didn't know what the police were talking about, when a senior walloper came along he said 'no worries'.

So renew your licence with your passport and not your pink card. 

I don't know anymore as it was the first time a mob of us eating Wednesdays lunch together had ever hear of it or noticed the Restrictions on the back of the licence. Most of us use our pink card for everything. 

Kalasin Changwat, but don't think it makes a difference. 

I believe it is the fact coming from these id's are usually for the immigrant workforce and they are 100% restricted for travel unless they get a clearance paper from the amphur or police. They simply do not have the freedom we as non slave foreigners have.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I have given up on the Yellow Book and the Pink ID Card. I live in Ban Pet, Khon Kaen and I started the process last Wednesday with a visit to my local Amphur Office with my wife and the male person who handles our district is an absolute idiot. He wanted to see my passport so that he could do the letter to Immigration for my Certificate of Residency and he could not do it because my name is in English and not Thai, and then when he did work it out he wrote my first name then my family name and then my middle name. He then gave the wife a list of things that we needed so we went home and started on the list. 1: copy of wedding certificate. 2: copy of wife's housebook. 3: copy of wife's ID card. 4: 2 passport photo's. 5: residency certificate from immigration. 6: letter from local police. 7: copy of information page of passport plus translated copy. So we followed through with everything except the translated copy of passport information page because when it came to the letter from the police, we were given a completed TM30 document plus to get the translation of the passport information page we have been quoted between 300B and 1000B and a minimum of 3 days to do the translation. Look at your passport information page and see how much needs translating. Just not worth the hassles. This is in the Khon Kaen Amphur office with the person that handles our district, we cannot use anyone else in the office. 

If you look at pink ID, your name appears in Thai, so the passport translation is about getting an official translation of your name into Thai.

You can usually use the translation of your name from marriage documents

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Surelynot said:

My wife is pushing me to get a pink ID........I asked her what are the benefits...she said no idea.....is it worth it? I am a Brit living her None O-A marriage.

Useful as evidence back home that you live in Thailand (tax residency). Also, I assume you can get your Thai bank account linked to your pink card and no longer to your passport. Better than your bank account to be linked to your passport in case you lose your passport. As a rule, any official document you can get in a country you want to be associated with is beneficial IMO.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I believe it is the fact coming from these id's are usually for the immigrant workforce and they are 100% restricted for travel unless they get a clearance paper from the amphur or police. They simply do not have the freedom we as non slave foreigners have.

that may be the case for workers here without visa (undocumented workers who perodically gain a type of registration)

Those on valid visas have the same freedom of movement as anyone else

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Thank you for pointing that out.

As most of these Pink ID threads end up with the usual bar stool wisdom that you cant  travel or the ID isn't valid in other provinces etc.

As you say, any travel restrictions apply "only" to migrant workers.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I don't know about your local medical services, but around here you cannot register at a hospital or use the free mobile health clinics with a driving licence.

Yep. passport or pink card to register at Bangkok/Pattaya hospital. Driving licence refused.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

that may be the case for workers here without visa (undocumented workers who perodically gain a type of registration)

Those on valid visas have the same freedom of movement as anyone else

My mother in-law used to have a place for rooms to rent to migrant workers. They were registered and documented and had a pink id card but were not allowed to travel out of a certain area unless they had clearance to do so. Most migrant workers are not here on open visas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Can you post a picture of this? I've never seen it

That's wrong, it's exactly the opposite.

Pink ID card cannot replace your passport, card has your name in Thai, where your passport will not

11 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

My mother in-law used to have a place for rooms to rent to migrant workers. They were registered and documented and had a pink id card but were not allowed to travel out of a certain area unless they had clearance to do so. Most migrant workers are not here on open visas.

I don't know what you mean by "open visa". Nobody, ourselves included,  has an "open visa".

There are workers here with no passport and visa who have undergone a registration process which results in a special pink card.

There are also many workers here with passports and valid L-A visas. The latter can freely travel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Susco said:

When I arrived here 26 years ago, there were no yellow books or pink cards, but there were diver licenses.

Guess what I used to register at the local government hospital

you used a diver license to register, what about us who don't dive, sorry couldn't resist

• Like 1

Only once did I have use for mine, I was opening a new bank account

and the manager was showing me how to change the pin number for

the ATM card on the machine, he put in my account number,did not

work,my passport number, did not work, he was a bit perplexed,so

I said try this pink ID card...and it worked , I was able to change  the

pin number.  

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Useful as evidence back home that you live in Thailand (tax residency). Also, I assume you can get your Thai bank account linked to your pink card and no longer to your passport. Better than your bank account to be linked to your passport in case you lose your passport. As a rule, any official document you can get in a country you want to be associated with is beneficial IMO.

unless your Thai bank book has your name in Thai this will not work, 

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I don't know what you mean by "open visa". Nobody, ourselves included,  has an "open visa".

There are workers here with no passport and visa who have undergone a registration process which results in a special pink card.

There are also many workers here with passports and valid L-A visas. The latter can freely travel.

Open which means able to freely travel. Just my choice of a description. Anyway there are not many migrant workers that I know of that have passports and I have come in contact with a lot of them over the years and my wife also used to employ them. Basically I was only explaining why the driver's license would have that travel restriction printed on the back of it if one used the pink id to get it. The migrants here are under some sort of a classification of visa to stay, and are always subject to checking in with having very restricted movement in an area.  

25 minutes ago, flexomike said:

unless your Thai bank book has your name in Thai this will not work, 

That's not correct, as my passport had expired so I want to both Kbank and TMB and gave them my Pink ID to update, and had no problems. The same with True and AIS. By using my pink id, I don't have to bother to remember to go to the merchants to update their records.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

May well be, but not the reality. I registered at a hospital with my pink ID a long way from where I live.

Used it many times in different provinces.

Yes you can register with anything but do you get anything for free.  Social Security told me just with a yellow book you can get free medical in a provincial hospital. Threads on here from 2011 say even with a pink ID card technically your  not entitled to get free medical. My local hospital told me I have to pay since my social security expired. Only Burmese and loas Cambodia get free treatment nor forgnier even with a purple pink yellow book.

You can also  own  several condos in this country and no local district office will give you yellow book.

To get a yellow book.  My local district  office said to bring in proof of address from immgration get passport and visa translated and take it to MoFA get their certificate. And bring in my same sex partners ID and blue book and he will do it. Where both A sexual. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I have given up on the Yellow Book and the Pink ID Card. I live in Ban Pet, Khon Kaen and I started the process last Wednesday with a visit to my local Amphur Office with my wife and the male person who handles our district is an absolute idiot. He wanted to see my passport so that he could do the letter to Immigration for my Certificate of Residency and he could not do it because my name is in English and not Thai, and then when he did work it out he wrote my first name then my family name and then my middle name. He then gave the wife a list of things that we needed so we went home and started on the list. 1: copy of wedding certificate. 2: copy of wife's housebook. 3: copy of wife's ID card. 4: 2 passport photo's. 5: residency certificate from immigration. 6: letter from local police. 7: copy of information page of passport plus translated copy. So we followed through with everything except the translated copy of passport information page because when it came to the letter from the police, we were given a completed TM30 document plus to get the translation of the passport information page we have been quoted between 300B and 1000B and a minimum of 3 days to do the translation. Look at your passport information page and see how much needs translating. Just not worth the hassles. This is in the Khon Kaen Amphur office with the person that handles our district, we cannot use anyone else in the office. 

My local office said you  don't need to be married. Just the a Thai  person that owns the land. However in Hong dang Chiang mai they said yellow book is for only married guy! But maybe they got confused that a foreigner get only a blue book with ownership of a condo 

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

I don't know about your local medical services, but around here you cannot register at a hospital or use the free mobile health clinics with a driving licence.

and in my area the hospitals dont know what it is and my banks, the traffic and imm office want nothing to do with it.  Check with your amphur first what hoops you have to jump through and also whether its of any value in your area.  Wasnt worth the hassle in my area especially seeing no-one here knows what it is.

35 minutes ago, arick said:

Yes you can register with anything but do you get anything for free.  Social Security told me just with a yellow book you can get free medical in a provincial hospital. Threads on here from 2011 say even with a pink ID card technically your  not entitled to get free medical. My local hospital told me I have to pay since my social security expired. Only Burmese and loas Cambodia get free treatment nor forgnier even with a purple pink yellow book.

You can also  own  several condos in this country and no local district office will give you yellow book.

To get a yellow book.  My local district  office said to bring in proof of address from immgration get passport and visa translated and take it to MoFA get their certificate. And bring in my same sex partners ID and blue book and he will do it. Where both A sexual. 

Social security are wrong. 

Even with a blue Thai ID, it doesn't give me free treatment. 

Pink ID card is like a branding of foreigner to track their whereabouts. I've no idea why Westerners would voluntarily get one, they are useless, esp if you have a Thai drivers license or work permit. . Actually the DL place doesn't accept Pink card as proof of address. 

Not sure about being asexual, but surprised it is allowed. If you are not sexual, then isn't a partner a friend? 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Social security are wrong. 

Even with a blue Thai ID, it doesn't give me free treatment. 

Pink ID card is like a branding of foreigner to track their whereabouts. I've no idea why Westerners would voluntarily get one, they are useless, esp if you have a Thai drivers license or work permit. . Actually the DL place doesn't accept Pink card as proof of address. 

Not sure about being asexual, but surprised it is allowed. If you are not sexual, then isn't a partner a friend? 

How often do we hear this cr@p 'Track their whereabouts' as if that has any real effect on your life or the way you have to live it at all!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

If you look at pink ID, your name appears in Thai, so the passport translation is about getting an official translation of your name into Thai.

You can usually use the translation of your name from marriage documents

Both my marriage certificate and my Kor Ror 2 have my name in both English and Thai but that does not suit this idiot, it must be my passport translated even thou directly across the hall opposite this mans window is the marriage registry office where my marriage is registered.

On 3/5/2021 at 2:15 PM, Crossy said:

It depends ...

Partly on just how much it's going to cost to obtain (certified and translated documents), the requirements vary by ampur office (of course).

It certainly won't do any harm, and mine allowed me to do something yesterday that having my passport alone wouldn't. Not something you'd likely do but I'm now on the Beta program for a new facilty attached to Rabbit (the current software can't handle passports).

Well  I  just  got  one  out  in the  boonies  and it  took 2  minutes, no documents  required  at  all except  passport and no translations of that either, I didn't  know I was  getting one until Wife decided whilst we were there etc, office  empty at Sam Roi  Yot, it's  often like this when Iv'e  been in. I was the only one there.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Open which means able to freely travel. Just my choice of a description. Anyway there are not many migrant workers that I know of that have passports and I have come in contact with a lot of them over the years and my wife also used to employ them. Basically I was only explaining why the driver's license would have that travel restriction printed on the back of it if one used the pink id to get it. The migrants here are under some sort of a classification of visa to stay, and are always subject to checking in with having very restricted movement in an area.  

I too have had extensive contact with migrant workers and employed them for a decade. Spend a lot of time in labor office  and immigration dealing with it.

Many DO in fact have passports and visas.  Not all of course, but certainly very many. I just got back from going through the process now necessary to extend work permit  and visa for those here under LA visa arrangement whose LA visa's have expired. Mobbed with migrants with passports and LA visas.

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The Yellow Book/Pink ID cards subject has been done to death.

Every Amphur has their own ideas on what requirements are necessary to obtain Yellow Book/Pink ID card ranging from 20 baht and your passport to several thousand baht and many certified and translated documents to hurdles made up by the official to discourage the foreigner until he admits defeat. Other Amphurs will just tell you “ no have “.

A simple visit to get the requirements is all that is needed for you to decide.

Of course, whether the yellow book and ID card are worthy of the time/trouble/expense is up to the individual.

The benefits of yellow book and id have also been discussed at great lengths on here usually on a monthly basis !!

When I got  my pink card 3  weeks  ago the woman said special covid price 1 baht, Im not joking, Sam Roi  Yot

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2021 at 6:26 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Just to make it clear: yellow book is the first step and the real "hurdle" (sometimes easy, sometimes not)?

After that the pink ID should not make much headache.

Permanent Residents (Certificate of Residence holders) are recorded in the standard dark blue Tabien Baan book. 

29 minutes ago, gamini said:

Absolutely essential if you use government hospitals. If you don't have 

a p[nk ID you might have to wait an hour or two while they  get somebody to translate the required information from your passport or whatever else you use before they  issue a hospital card. Which is now only valid for one day. I have had to attend a government clinic every day for a wound treatment and each time they insisted on the pink card.

i seem to get Thai price as well ,so its been good for me . 

• Sad 1