Pink ID card

1 minute ago, Susco said:

I am not contradicted myself, someone who needs a certificate of residence has to prove his address to immigration, and immigration accepts the address on the driver license as proof.

Sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about

So why do I need a certificate of residence if the driving license is proof of the address?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

If the driving license is proof of address, I wouldn't need to apply for a certificate of residence at immigration, would I? I could just use my driving license. This doesn't work, so obviously what you said is wrong.

You are contradicting yourself because you don't understand what you are talking about.

When you renewed your driving license you also gave them a yellow house book?

Some Government offices allow the use of the Yellow Book and ID card, or drivers license as proof of residence, while some want a certificate of residence and your passport.  However, in order to get the Pink ID card and the yellow book you needed to show your passport and a certificate of residence or such and have it all certified and translated and approved by the MFA, so it is a circuitous game being played with some government folks not knowing or understanding the actual laws or regulations.  My GF had to have a new pink card issued when her work permit information and her address changed, and it was not an issue.  She never shows her passport, just her Pink ID card as proof of ID and residence, and she is not an expat but a foreign worker. 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

I got one years back in Chiang Mai, Amphur Hang Dong.Cost 60 baht, was a painless procedure unlike the drama with getting a yellow book. Is it useful ? Well within weeks it got me into Fang Hot Springs for 50 baht instead of the falang 500 baht price the guy on duty probably didn't know what it was but was seemingly impressed.  I have used it many times rather than my passport in booking into resorts/hotel. It only applies to within your province but for 60 baht why not. I'm already in front financially 

9 minutes ago, Susco said:

Yes, and the pink card also has the number of the yellow book, so it is more like an extension of the yellow book in credit card size.

I think you will find its your unique 13 digit Thai ID number on the pink ID, not the yellow book number.

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

So why do I need a certificate of residence if the driving license is proof of the address?

Because as proven many times in this thread and others, the clerks behind the desk have, same as you, no idea what they are talking about?

You tell me, why does immigration accept the address on the driver license to issue a CoR, if it is no proof?

Certificate of residence is a way to get some extra money for immigration.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

If the driving license is proof of address, I wouldn't need to apply for a certificate of residence at immigration, would I?

To get a DL you only need a Cert. of Residence, which can be gotten with a rental lease.

To get a Pink ID Card you first need to have the Yellow House Book, which is your registered address in Thailand, registered at the local Ampur Office.

Hence, the DL is not seen as proof of address, as there's no evidence that the address shown has been registered at the Amphur, the Pink ID card is considered proof of address as it is your registered address in Thailand. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

To get a DL you only need a Cert. of Residence, which can be gotten with a rental lease.

To get a Pink ID Card you first need to have the Yellow House Book, which is your registered address in Thailand, registered at the local Ampur Office.

Hence, the DL is not seen as proof of address, as there's no evidence that the address shown has been registered at the Amphur, the Pink ID card is considered proof of address as it is your registered address in Thailand. 

Ergo why the addresses should be aligned based upon your current address or what is in the Immigration data base, but then this is Thailand.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find its your unique 13 digit Thai ID number on the pink ID, not the yellow book number.

You are correct, it is the Thai ID number which is also printed in the yellow book

43 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:
1 hour ago, Susco said:

Yes, and the pink card also has the number of the yellow book, so it is more like an extension of the yellow book in credit card size.

Correct. The yellow book number matches the corresponding blue tibian bahn house book number. Thus both books are linked to the same physical address.

In the same way as each Thai resident registered as residing at the house has their name and their unique Thai ID number on their page in the blue book, the farang's unique alien's ID number is on his/her page in the yellow book and this is the number that appears on their pink ID card.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

...and she is not an expat but a foreign worker.

A wee bit off topic and not just semantics but if she living and/or working in a country that isn't her native born country or country of legal domicile (not an immigrant), she is still an expatriate from her home country.

The definition of expatriate confuses some as they think it applies to the foreign country they are living and/or working in whereas it refers to the relationship between the person and the land of their birth or legal domicile. To be precise, I am a Scottish (born) expatriate (living) in Thailand and (working) in Vietnam. I am NOT a Thai or Vietnam expat. A Thai expat would be a Thai person living and/or working in a country other than Thailand.

And now back to our regular programming...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

A wee bit off topic and not just semantics but if she living and/or working in a country that isn't her native born country or country of legal domicile (not an immigrant), she is still an expatriate from her home country.

The definition of expatriate confuses some as they think it applies to the foreign country they are living and/or working in whereas it refers to the relationship between the person and the land of their birth or legal domicile. To be precise, I am a Scottish (born) expatriate (living) in Thailand and (working) in Vietnam. I am NOT a Thai or Vietnam expat. A Thai expat would be a Thai person living and/or working in a country other than Thailand.

Try again. It unfortunately comes down to semantics and the perception that each of the terms carries. Learn the difference between an expat and a foreign worker who is considered a migrant.  You and I can not be true migrants but my GF is.  That is why they call them migrant workers and not expat workers.

What's the difference between a migrant and an expat? (theconversation.com)

The difference between an expat and an immigrant? Semantics - BBC Worklife

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Post a letter ????

Thai citizens get into National parks at a reduced rate, so this non-Thai ID has no real value. Better just to speak Thai and they'll usually let you in cheap.

I suspect that you are NOT entitled to a free flu jab but somehow cheated the system.

Why the campaign to try and convince people against it, surely having seen the information it is up to people to make their own minds up.

BTW. The free flu jab is open to over 60's and diabetics. For allocation purposes you need to reside in the hospital catchment area.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

I asked then this and they said it was to keep updated, wagging is BS as my yellow  housebooks was not the same address as my actual house. 

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Why the campaign to try and convince people against it, surely having seen the information it is up to people to make their own minds up.

BTW. The free flu jab is open to over 60's and diabetics. For allocation purposes you need to reside in the hospital catchment area.

What campaign? 

Just giving my opinion/experience. 

I'm surprised foreigners get a free flu jab, but that's great. Or is it only foreigners with a pink card? 

10 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Thanks Sandy for the heads-up.

16 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

The Pink ID card is a lot easier to haul around than a passport.

Best ID a farang can have...:)

Exactly.

The cancer hospital in Chonburi offer an screening package and when you go they take your ID and attach it to the documents that get passed around each department. First time I went was before the pink card days and I saw my passport drop to the floor as the nurse moved the docs, fortunately a nurse behind saw and picked it up

When I went for the next visit I used my ID card and just like the Thais it was put in a plastic sleeve which was then stapled to the documents.

Up to each individual which they would consider to be the better system.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Hmm, I'm an expat. I'm Thai, living in Thailand. 

However, as I'm naturalized, I'm still an expat, I think, being born in Scotland. 

If I renounce my British nationality, I'm a still an expat? 

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What campaign? 

Just giving my opinion/experience. 

I'm surprised foreigners get a free flu jab, but that's great. Or is it only foreigners with a pink card? 

You need a yellow book to get registered for government schemes in the area, which also includes the free mobile health clinics. When you turn up you have to show the pink card as that number ties up with the yellow book.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You need a yellow book to get registered for government schemes in the area, which also includes the free mobile health clinics. When you turn up you have to show the pink card as that number ties up with the yellow book.

OK, the is a good use of the card. 

BTW, it's over 65.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Hmm, I'm an expat. I'm Thai, living in Thailand. 

Yes. An expat from another nation.

However, as I'm naturalized, I'm still an expat, I think, being born in Scotland. 

Yes. More specifically an expat from Scotland.

If I renounce my British nationality, I'm a still an expat? 

Yes. And if you go to a third country, you will be an expat from Scotland AND Thailand and it doesn't really matter which one you chose to use.

An American-born guy I work with acquired Australian citizenship and relinquished his American one as it was the easiest way to facilitate a marriage to his Eastern European wife who had already become an Australian citizen. For personal reasons he prefers to say he's exclusively an expat from Australia but he can can still claim to be an expat from America.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

An American-born guy I work with acquired Australian citizenship and relinquished his American one as it was the easiest way to facilitate a marriage to his Eastern European wife who had already become an Australian citizen. For personal reasons he prefers to say he's exclusively an expat from Australia but he can can still claim to be an expat from America.

When he was in Australia, could he call himself an Australian expat? 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

When he was in Australia, could he call himself an Australian expat?

His home is still in Australia so no, one can't be an expat in one's home country. He's working in Albania at the moment so right now, he can call himself an Australian expat.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I went to DLT on Monday to ask as 5 year is up for renewal soon, she said pink is ok but you can only use license in chonburi province. Like many expats, she believed pink ID means migrant worker and travel restrictions etc. Hopefully I will get the same girl you got when I renew next week.

I have used yellow book for buy/sell vehicle at Pattaya. 

As I said before and the post was called bs ...if you renew your licence with your pink id card there is Thai printing on the back top that also says in English: Restrictions . Have a look all who did it with the pink id card. This was done in the Kalasin Chanwat.

People asked for a photo which I posted to this forum but a moderator deleted it as it was in Thai language.  Of course a Thai driving licence will be in Thai but there is still the English word RESTRICTIONS.

Means when you travel outside the area you should have a letter from 'theonlyofeyes'. Better to get your driving licence with your passport. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, carlyai said:

People asked for a photo which I posted to this forum but a moderator deleted it as it was in Thai language.  Of course a Thai driving licence will be in Thai but there is still the English word RESTRICTIONS.

On the back of the DL? 

There are a few English words on the front of mine but none on the back.