Pink ID card

50 minutes ago, carlyai said:

As I said before and the post was called bs ...if you renew your licence with your pink id card there is Thai printing on the back top that also says in English: Restrictions . Have a look all who did it with the pink id card. This was done in the Kalasin Chanwat.

People asked for a photo which I posted to this forum but a moderator deleted it as it was in Thai language.  Of course a Thai driving licence will be in Thai but there is still the English word RESTRICTIONS.

Means when you travel outside the area you should have a letter from 'theonlyofeyes'. Better to get your driving licence with your passport. 

The printing is on the back of license or pink ID ?

Can you PM me a photo

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

On the back of the DL? 

There are a few English words on the front of mine but none on the back. 

Well did you renew your licence with your passport or pink id card?

You don't get the Restrictions on your licence if you renew with your passport. 

Changwat Kalasin.

Here an example of the back of a driving license which you might get if you apply for it with your pink id card instead of a passport (thanks to @carlyai)

p91cgbk0bIvUyPq6HgE-o.thumb.jpg.2ffc03949ce62b23c15de43c1b5b5883.jpg

My own translation of the line below "Restrictions":

In case of driving out of the area(*) it has to be used together with a permit which allows to leave the area.

*It is issued by the amphoe, so I would assume area = amphoe in this case.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jackdd said:

Here an example of the back of a driving license which you might get if you apply for it with your pink id card instead of a passport (thanks to @carlyai)

p91cgbk0bIvUyPq6HgE-o.thumb.jpg.2ffc03949ce62b23c15de43c1b5b5883.jpg

My own translation of the line below "Restrictions":

In case of driving out of the area(*) it has to be used together with a permit which allows to leave the area.

*It is issued by the amphoe, so I would assume area = amphoe in this case.

As I've said before, these pink card were issued for migrant workers, not retired expats. What is ironic, is that many of these expats wave them around as if it is something to be proud of, rather than something like a yellow star to identify them as aliens or lesser beings. 

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

As I've said before, these pink card were issued for migrant workers, not retired expats. What is ironic, is that many of these expats wave them around as if it is something to be proud of, rather than something like a yellow star to identify them as aliens or lesser beings. 

irrelevant. If it works, it works. I had occasion to call into my local hospital when out and about. Driving licence not accepted and I don't carry my passport with me. Pink ID card accepted.

On 3/11/2021 at 1:34 PM, Susco said:

Yes you can use your driver license as proof of address, as has been posted by many on this forum, and is at immigration accepted when applying for a certificate of residence.

You think something issued by a government department is not considered a legal document?

And it has also been posted many times on this forum that many Imm offices will not accept the YB or PC. 

So yes something issued by a govt dept is sometimes not recognised as a legal document in some places.

On 3/7/2021 at 8:39 AM, sandyf said:

Yes indeed. I am registered with 5 government hospitals but 2 of them and in particular the one I use the most have a system that has your photo on the appointment card. You only need to show ID card if no previous appointment.

The ID card is great improvement on the old days when you had to keep handing in your passport.

I'm registered at 3 hospitals and have only ever had to show my passport the first time to get the hospital card.  None of them know what a yellow book is.

5 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

I'm registered at 3 hospitals and have only ever had to show my passport the first time to get the hospital card.  None of them know what a yellow book is.

I have never had to show yellow book to register at a hospital. Only had to show yellow book when registering for free medical services, which are based on allocation so you must reside in the hospital catchment area.

Every Thai knows what a Tabian Baan is, blue or yellow, it is still a Tabian Baan.

37 minutes ago, pon2007 said:

<snip>

If you rent you are not eligible for yellow book and pink id card.

I live free in my friend's place and he was able to help me get the yellow book and pink card.  He isn't an " importnant person" but he was able to have the local mayor come witness for me so maybe that was key?

Edited by mojaco
Spelling

1 minute ago, mojaco said:

I live free in my friend's place and he was able to help me get the yellow book and pink card.  He isn't an " importnant person" but he was able to have the local mayor co,me witness for me so maybe that was key?

The key is that it's of course possible to get into a yellow book if renting, but you obviously need the support of your landlord, what he said is just wrong, as are many other things he says.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

I have never had to show yellow book to register at a hospital. Only had to show yellow book when registering for free medical services, which are based on allocation so you must reside in the hospital catchment area.

Every Thai knows what a Tabian Baan is, blue or yellow, it is still a Tabian Baan.

Sorry my mistake, I meant to say they are not interested in the YB or Pink ID card.  But my main point was that my passport was not needed every time as you state, only when first registering.  And it was at that point I found the YB and ID card was not enough for them....only my passport.

1 hour ago, pon2007 said:

No need to get certificate of address for driver license, if have pink id card.

Incorrect because in some areas it is not recognised so you still need to go to Imm Office for Cert of Residence.

Hospitals and dentist accept it

Incorrect depending where you live,  3 hospitals I attend want passport only.

Some online registration and online payment can be difficult with passport number since many passport# contain letters and numbers and are not 13 digits.

Incorrect.  I do a lot of business online and never had any problems except one time until I discovered all you simply had to do was drop the letter from my passport number.

Pink id card number is your tax id as well.  It is definitely worth to get it for convenience.

Worked in bangkok for 10 years with work permit and paid tax.  Passport only as ID and never had any issues nor asked for P ID card.  Definitely not necessary for myself or the scores of farang I worked with.

Everyone should check the pros and cons in their area  first before applying for one.  Definitely a waste of time for me.

17 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Incorrect because in some areas it is not recognised so you still need to go to Imm Office for Cert of Residence.

Just as you said.  The Chatuchak DLT would not take the pink card or yellow book, and wanted a certificate of residence.  However, when I bought my Cayenne the pink card and yellow book were perfect, yet when I bought my Motorbike 5 months later Yamaha wanted a Cert. of Residence.  Hit or miss, and YMMV.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just as you said.  The Chatuchak DLT would not take the pink card or yellow book, and wanted a certificate of residence.  However, when I bought my Cayenne the pink card and yellow book were perfect, yet when I bought my Motorbike 5 months later Yamaha wanted a Cert. of Residence.  Hit or miss, and YMMV.  

I think much of this experience is the ‘staff’ did not have any experience. 

Chatuchak DLT - was it the one officer who rejected the Pink ID card and Yellow Book, or the whole department? i.e. did you push it and ask for the supervisor? just to make sure it wasn’t someone who didn’t know with the standard ‘cannot’ response. 

The same for Yamaha.

I’ve had a coupe of similar issues - Buying a car: The dealership asked or my work permit, I didn’t have one. I was told I couldn’t put the car in my name, it would have to go in my Wife’s name.

I told them the rules ! (at the time I didn’t have the yellow book) - I told them I will get a letter of residence, which they don’t need at the time of purchase, they just need that to register the car in my name. 

The dealership looked into it and realised I was correct. 

A Year later buying a motorcycle, I was told I’d need a letter of residence. I provided a Pink ID and Yellow House book. I was told I’d need a letter of residence to buy a motorbike. I corrected them and told them I don’t need a letter of residence to buy a motorbike, I just need proof of address to register it in my name. The Yellow book is proof of address. They dealership wasn’t sure. They looked into it and realised I was correct. 

My point here - In so many cases were are told we can’t do something because the other party doesn’t know how or what to do or how or what is required. In so many cases if we don’t comply with the rules as ‘they’ understand them the response will be cannot. I have found out that when remaining polite, but firm and pressing the issue the ‘cannot’ soon turns into ‘not sure’ which turns into ‘will find out’ which turns into ‘can’ !!!! - its all a matter of getting to that final point while trying not to upset the juvenile mind by making someone who should know something lose face. 

In Thailand rules are flexible everywhere depending on each case and person and can vary daily. What I have stated is my experience. It may be incorrect to some and workable to others. During my first 12 years in Thailand, I did not have pink card and was perfectly fine without it. It is not necessity, but for some offer convenience. If any home owner willing to get yellow book for renter or friend it is possible. For own social security payment pink id card is mandatory. The point is too share experiences and let everyone decide for themselves if it is worth or not.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think much of this experience is the ‘staff’ did not have any experience. 

Chatuchak DLT - was it the one officer who rejected the Pink ID card and Yellow Book, or the whole department? i.e. did you push it and ask for the supervisor? just to make sure it wasn’t someone who didn’t know with the standard ‘cannot’ response. 

The same for Yamaha.

I’ve had a coupe of similar issues - Buying a car: The dealership asked or my work permit, I didn’t have one. I was told I couldn’t put the car in my name, it would have to go in my Wife’s name.

I told them the rules ! (at the time I didn’t have the yellow book) - I told them I will get a letter of residence, which they don’t need at the time of purchase, they just need that to register the car in my name. 

The dealership looked into it and realised I was correct. 

A Year later buying a motorcycle, I was told I’d need a letter of residence. I provided a Pink ID and Yellow House book. I was told I’d need a letter of residence to buy a motorbike. I corrected them and told them I don’t need a letter of residence to buy a motorbike, I just need proof of address to register it in my name. The Yellow book is proof of address. They dealership wasn’t sure. They looked into it and realised I was correct. 

My point here - In so many cases were are told we can’t do something because the other party doesn’t know how or what to do or how or what is required. In so many cases if we don’t comply with the rules as ‘they’ understand them the response will be cannot. I have found out that when remaining polite, but firm and pressing the issue the ‘cannot’ soon turns into ‘not sure’ which turns into ‘will find out’ which turns into ‘can’ !!!! - its all a matter of getting to that final point while trying not to upset the juvenile mind by making someone who should know something lose face. 

Yeah I get that.  I was told once by a bank dude that your ability as a farang to open a bank a/c here was determined by the branch manager's confidence in his/her staff's English abilities.  If the manager doesnt think the staff can manage to communicate effectively they will give you the run around with excuses such as you need a work permit or permanent residence etc.

49 minutes ago, pon2007 said:

For own social security payment pink id card is mandatory.

You can find reports here on Thaivisa where people said that the pink id card was not required for them to continue paying the social security payments. Before you present something as a fact you should make sure it's correct, most of what you wrote in this topic is wrong and will just confuse other people.

I read those reports and guess what I went to my local amphur SSO office and HQ SSO and was told no longer can pay own social security without pink card. I showed them those reports and they said new government directive after covid to make it harder for foreigners to pay their own social security. I did not start posting to all other reports that they are wrong and should report the facts. I presented what was my experience. If your experience is different let it be. If you live in Thailand long enough you will know that for every report the opposite can be said many times over. Everyone should do their own homework. You based your judgement on other post, I based on my own experiences.

Edited by pon2007
Grammar
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 6:36 PM, ThaiFelix said:

Sorry my mistake, I meant to say they are not interested in the YB or Pink ID card.  But my main point was that my passport was not needed every time as you state, only when first registering.  And it was at that point I found the YB and ID card was not enough for them....only my passport.

I never made any such statement, I am quite aware that each hospital has their own way of doing things.

I am registered at 5 government hospitals and 3 of them I registered before pink cards were available but I have had my yellow book for over 11 years. The Chonburi Cancer hospital I first registered with passport but when I got the pink card went along and changed ID from passport to the pink card. I registered at Bang Saen about 6 years ago with just the pink card and at Ban Phaeo about 2 years ago where both yellow book and pink card were required. At both Bang Saen and Ban Phaeo you do not need to show ID if you  already have an appointment card, your photo is on the card, but you do need to show ID when making a new appointment. At the Cancer hospital I have a photo registration card and can use that to make a new appointment. The other two hospitals I am still registered with my passport but haven't been for some time.

There are no hard and fast rules. BTW I did say I had not used the yellow book to register,  that was a mistake, I had forgotten about Ban Phaeo. When I looked up the registration to see how to spell it I saw the copy of housebook attached.

Made it to my appointment at the local administrative office this morning.  The gal I talked with took all of my paperwork, She understood what I was trying to accomplish, but told me that she could not process it today and that she would call me tomorrow to come in and pick up the new pink card.  I asked her very nicely why it would take until tomorrow and she said she had to get ahold of the Amphur in the North where it had been made and arrange for the file to be sent to her, as the numbering systems for the Pink ID cards are different in each location as each administrative office (Amphur) are given certain allotments of specific numbers for use.  Funny, I thought the databases were connected I said to her, she just smiled and said certain things are, and then certain things are not, thats why paperwork ends up going to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs so it is verified in one place.  I await the call tomorrow to pick up the Pink ID card which will have the same address as my DL's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I never made any such statement, I am quite aware that each hospital has their own way of doing things.

Posted Saturday at 11:14 AM

On 3/7/2021 at 8:39 AM, sandyf said:

Yes indeed. I am registered with 5 government hospitals but 2 of them and in particular the one I use the most have a system that has your photo on the appointment card. You only need to show ID card if no previous appointment.

The ID card is great improvement on the old days when you had to keep handing in your passport.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 5:49 AM, Peterw42 said:

If you look at pink ID, your name appears in Thai, so the passport translation is about getting an official translation of your name into Thai.

You can usually use the translation of your name from marriage documents

For the OP, married to a Thai, using his Thai name as stated in the marriage documents is a must, not merely an option. The same goes for the first names of his parents, which are needed for the yellow house registration book.

I highly recommend using one's Thai name as registered at the district office also on all other documents that that require the name in Thai in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, Maestro said:

For the OP, married to a Thai, using his Thai name as stated in the marriage documents is a must, not merely an option. The same goes for the first names of his parents, which are needed for the yellow house registration book.

I highly recommend using one's Thai name as registered at the district office also on all other documents that that require the name in Thai in Thailand.

Sound advice @Maestro. In addition, make sure that the same, singular, official name translation is used when registering the birth of a child here and when getting their ID cards and passports.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 7:39 PM, ThaiFelix said:

Posted Saturday at 11:14 AM

On 3/7/2021 at 8:39 AM, sandyf said:

This statement you made was taken out of context.

But my main point was that my passport was not needed every time as you state, "

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you missed my explanation on that. If you attend the Chonburi cancer hospital under their inclusive package you must give them your passport which is then attached to the documents and passed around the various departments. I changed ID to the pink card and that is then put in a plastic sleeve and stapled to the document when passed around, which was certainly an improvement.

At no time did I say that a passport was required every time at every hospital as you have tried to make out.

And it was at that point I found the YB and ID card was not enough for them....only my passport.

Is that really any great surprise given that both the YB and ID card are lacking in 1 small, but crucial, piece of detail: namely the date when your current permission to stay in Thailand expires? If it transpired that a hospital was unknowingly treating a foreigner who at that time was staying in Thailand illegally, they might still run the risk of finding themselves in deep, deep, deep, deep doo-dah, I would have thought!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

On 3/16/2021 at 11:04 PM, Maestro said:

Not all town halls ask for parent's names. 

Its very important to have the same spelling of your name when on the yellow or blue housebooks, when renewing your child's passport. 

Everything must match perfectly 

I even have to change the Nationality of myself on the kids' birth certificates, or they won't be able to renew. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've not read every post, but does anyone have a pink ID which does NOT have the following text on the back?

It's all about travel restrictions which one assumes applies to various migrant workers.

If you do please post an image so we can poke the ampur office.

753042504_DCIDBack.jpg.ca199dd98eed70789f0b93f6e850d9d7.jpg