Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Thailand suffers sharp fall in rankings of best countries for retirement

rooster59

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I thought you said you didn't have any problem with immigration, now it's ten days of work.

Previously you implied, or at least I understood you to imply that you were an important asset the company you worked for, now you're a business owner.

I have no idea how difficult it is for your wife to get your work permit and visa but I'll take your word it's difficult. That said, this thread is about how attractive Thailand is for retirees, not working people.

You're deliberately misinterpreting me, this is known as trolling. I have no problems or difficulties, other than feeling resentment towards the time spent on it. I am both employee and business owner i.e. VERY busy, why the time wasted annually playing immigration's ridiculous game is becoming such a frustration.... And working people eventually retire, right?

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not really. You're talking about sexpats that happen to be older. Most people looking to retire abroad in general are seeking more general benefits, a better quality of life for less money than staying home. I understand why some expats in Thailand project about sex though.

I beg to differ, I think quite a few retirees here go hog-wild with the beauty buffet, then settle down once they have a pretty ideal woman. Or perhaps that's just me.

The Philippines and Indonesia are AFAIK on a par with Thailand in terms of retirement cost. However, food choices are more limited, infrastructure is worse, and the risk level is higher.

I still think Thailand is good value for money, I certainly could not afford the same lifestyle in Australia, quite apart from terminal boredom.

37 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I beg to differ, I think quite a few retirees here go hog-wild with the beauty buffet, then settle down once they have a pretty ideal woman. Or perhaps that's just me.

The Philippines and Indonesia are AFAIK on a par with Thailand in terms of retirement cost. However, food choices are more limited, infrastructure is worse, and the risk level is higher.

I still think Thailand is good value for money, I certainly could not afford the same lifestyle in Australia, quite apart from terminal boredom.

You didn't differ.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, itsari said:

reality on tourist visas have not changed . Do some research before you make comments

Arrived in Thailand in 1989. People (including me) were living for years freely on back to back tourist visas. Now they're not.

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Those that were living here forever on tourist visas were flouting the rules. It isn't the rules that have changed, it's the correct enforcement of those rules that have. And rightly so IMO. If you want to come and live in Thailand, do it properly.

Before there were never any rules limiting back to back tourist visas. You could call yourself a tourist for years on end and nobody batted an eyelid. Now there are rules. Less freedom than before for people who wanted to stay. Simples.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 2

Some inflammatory personal bickering posts and replies have been removed,

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed.

Some other off topic posts and replies were removed.

9 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Yet, Thailand, pre-Covid, has increased tourist arrivals every year. Yes, mainly Chinese and Russians, which explains the dearth of Westerners we all observe. Blame the Chinese with their spitting, loud yelling, unsanitary habits and general me me me attitude for chasing away Western tourists.

No blame the government that wants Chinese and not westerners...

On 3/8/2021 at 10:50 AM, KarenBravo said:

Yet, Thailand, pre-Covid, has increased tourist arrivals every year. Yes, mainly Chinese and Russians, which explains the dearth of Westerners we all observe. Blame the Chinese with their spitting, loud yelling, unsanitary habits and general me me me attitude for chasing away Western tourists.

2019 tourism stats:  Chinese: 10.9 million.  Russia: 1.5 million.  Other Asian countries:  15 million.  So, not 'mainly Chinese and Russians'.  More like mainly Chinese and other Asians.  

I’ve been researching a few places and Malta appeals to me - though I don’t really know anything about it. English speaking, good weather, probably not as cheap as Thailand, but not too bad... interesting to see it in the list. 

On 3/6/2021 at 2:47 PM, canopus1969 said:

$1k - please say how !

Personally I'd say living gracefully and not a high life has helped me tremendously. Did spend my 'hard earned' money securing assets that will have value in the future, invested in my wife by enrolling her into a college so she is gaining a side income, and I got some farms rolling.

We're living normally during the covid on less than 20K THB a month, that's with kids and the odd farm running costs and other ventures.

On 3/7/2021 at 8:01 PM, KarenBravo said:

When they make "massive improvements" to their cuisine, I might think about it.

Also, you do know that there is no such thing as divorce in the PI?

You can eat healthy and cheap in the PI, it just takes a little more effort to figure out how.  It took me a few trips to figure it out but I eat very well and relatively inexpensively now.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I always find it weird that the term Non-O is because there is a form required that asks us to check a box out of 4 or 5 indicating the reason for stay/extension, but none of the boxes say "retirement" so we check the last box "other" and write "by reason of retirement" in the space below, when other/retirement probably accounts for half the responses. I went an embarrassingly long time not knowing what Non-O meant.

1 hour ago, Enzian said:

Yes, I always find it weird that the term Non-O is because there is a form required that asks us to check a box out of 4 or 5 indicating the reason for stay/extension, but none of the boxes say "retirement" so we check the last box "other" and write "by reason of retirement" in the space below, when other/retirement probably accounts for half the responses. I went an embarrassingly long time not knowing what Non-O meant.

The correct term for a "retirement visa" is Non-Imm O-A (optional O-M for multiple entry) 

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

You can eat healthy and cheap in the PI, it just takes a little more effort to figure out how.  It took me a few trips to figure it out but I eat very well and relatively inexpensively now.

I'm betting you cook yourself, or eating Western food at restaurants, which is expensive.

The local cuisine is disgusting. Lots of wobbly bits of pork fat.

5 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

If you look, how some of those holy immigration clowns are treating, dealing and talking to these retirees I sometimes wonder, why there are any retirees at all in Thailand.

Rude, impolite, extremely poor (if any) command of English and more than complicated. Sign with blue not black ink, photocopies only one-sided as they need the empty backside as note paper later on possibly and really celebrating their little power stools behind the desk - instead of being polite, friendly and aware of the fact, that these people, in Thai society, are being kept in high esteem. Last not least, all those retirees spend 100% money they earnt elsewhere and hence creat 100% percent profit in Thailand, for Thai companies and Thai people. 

But yeah, wishful thinking in a racist country with supremacy in uniform! 

I never seem to encounter all the rude, impolite clowns at immigration. They seem to treat me as respectfully as I would expect to be treated by a government employee anywhere. 

Also, when the form says to fill it out in black ink, I fill it out in black ink. If I did use the wrong color in and was told I had to use the correct color ink, I would just assume I made a mistake and would re-do the form in the correct color ink. I would not blame the staff that's trying to do their job.

It is amusing that when guys always seem to have difficulty with the people they look down their nose at...

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/8/2021 at 9:47 PM, itsari said:

Not true

It is true. I have lots of visa exempt, tourist and ed visas in my passport from those days, spanning several years. Have you ever heard of the term 'visa runner'? 

On 3/8/2021 at 4:29 PM, dbrenn said:

Arrived in Thailand in 1989. People (including me) were living for years freely on back to back tourist visas. Now they're not.

Yes they are using back to back tourist visas . 

6 hours ago, dbrenn said:

It is true. I have lots of visa exempt, tourist and ed visas in my passport from those days, spanning several years. Have you ever heard of the term 'visa runner'? 

It is not true , many foreigners using back to back tourist visas to remain in Thailand . Do not need to be a visa runner now that the covid 19 extensions are available . 

On 3/6/2021 at 9:24 AM, WineOh said:

Thailand is not the place it once was.

anyone who thinks otherwise needs to ditch the rose glasses for a pair of reality lenses. 

There are three alternatives, which are:

1. Thailand has changed from say 10 years ago

2. Thailand is the same but you have changed and

3. Both you and Thailand have changed but in different directions hence you notice the difference.

27 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

Mexico B3 million needs to be left in the bank for residence, but today's news from there looks good????

I don't think that is actually true. Yes you can get permanent residency there by showing lots of seasoned money as one option but once done I don't think the funds are locked up.

What news,

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 7:52 AM, Blumpie said:

Your version of "tons of people" are not really tons of people.  It's a circle that you probably have that are still enthusiastic about retiring there.  Just like tourism.  Tourism in Thailand will never die, despite the expats saying that it will.  Tourists don't care how the government treats expats.  They fly in, lay on a beach, and fly out.  As long as the product is there, they will continue to do it even if it's not the same as it was.  

It's no stretch of the truth that Thailand really no longer cares about expats.  If you don't like it, leave is their approach, and that's fine.  The rest of the world is watching.  And the visa system there is so ridiculous, but yet it used to be like the wild wild west there.  They've over-clamped down and, of course in a way, blame others for their mistakes.

And yes, there are many other places that you can retire comfortably.

For those who are already in Thailand, it's home and I don't blame you for staying.  It's exactly where you're at if that makes sense. ????  

I have to agree with you.  Just look at the tourist still going to Mexico. A country pretty much run by the Cartels and a most corrupt government.

20 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I'm betting you cook yourself, or eating Western food at restaurants, which is expensive.

The local cuisine is disgusting. Lots of wobbly bits of pork fat.

There are a few ways.  None required home cooking except breakfast.  All I need is a toaster or toaster oven and something to boil water for oatmeal, coffee and also for boiling eggs.

Mexican restaurants are better in the PI than Thailand.  Pizza is at least as good.  Ingredients like decent cheese and tomato sauce are generally better and easier to come by in the PI. 

Things like Tofu are made in the PI and quite cheap.  A very good cheap source of protein for putting on salads or whatever.  Making salad is easy and doesn't require any cooking..  Cucumbers in local markets are generally grown naturally and taste like what you get in a home garden. Not that tasteless mass produced over fertilized stuff you buy in western grocery stores. 

There are spit roast chicken places all over the place.  They will chop it up for you so you don't need any utensils other than maybe a plastic fork and some napkins.  My favorite franchise place in Andoks.  My second favorite is Chooks to go.  Some of the mom and pop places are ok too. 

There are also open air 'Kantina's' all over the place which can be quite cheap.  Some with outstanding barbecue and other good things.  I look for places that seem busy all the time.  If you see cops eating there that's usually a good sign.

So the food situation is quite manageable in the PI with a little effort.  None of it is too hot with spices and peppers like in Thailand either.  Common ingredients seem to be soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic, which are all just fine with me.  My only complaint is that some things are a little too salty for my taste sometimes.

Edited by shdmn

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think that is actually true. Yes you can get permanent residency there by showing lots of seasoned money as one option but once done I don't think the funds are locked up.

What news,

OK thanks Jingthing, they are to legalize a certain plant

• Thanks 1