Advice for person currently on single entry tourist visa

Hi all

I am looking for some advice. I entered Thailand on a single entry tourism visa as I have moved over here to look for work and live with my partner. I understand that to work, I will need to convert my single entry visa and also get a work permit.

I am applying for jobs but am concerned that I may run out of time on the single entry visa (even after the 30 day extension) so looking to the forum for advice around other options for a longer stay, if there are any, aside from securing work. 

4 minutes ago, AlexfromManchester said:

Can you give me some more info on the 60 day COVID extension?

As the name implies it a special extension they created due to the pandemic caused the borders to close. They have been extending the order for them for 2 months at a time and current extension of it ends on the 30th of this month but they will likely extend it again.

Applying for it is almost the same as applying for the 30 day extension other than completing a affidavit  with choices for the reason you need the extension. It is the same 1900 fee as the 30 day extension.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

As the name implies it a special extension they created due to the pandemic caused the borders to close. They have been extending the order for them for 2 months at a time and current extension of it ends on the 30th of this month but they will likely extend it again.

Applying for it is almost the same as applying for the 30 day extension other than completing a affidavit  with choices for the reason you need the extension. It is the same 1900 fee as the 30 day extension.

Thanks @ubonjoe this is really helpful and good to know. Fingers crossed I will be able to get a 60 day when it comes to applying for the extension.

4 minutes ago, AlexfromManchester said:

• Does anyone know if you are able to switch to the STV visa if already in Thailand?
  • If not, is it possible to go to a closer by country and apply for STV from there? 

The STV can only be applied for at a embassy or official consulate in you home country.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AlexfromManchester said:

Hi all 

anyone know what the best reason to put on the reason for extension to have the best bet of 60 day extension being granted. I’ve seen some people just write ‘60 day extension’ rather than give a specific reason. Any advice is appreciated. 

Covid-19

• Like 1

Ok so I went to immigration today. They were really friendly but did not grant me a 60 day Covid extension. 

I did ask why and they said I had to get the 30 day extension first and then I could apply for the Covid extension towards the end of that 30 days (if they roll the Covid extension measure for another couple of months)

Does that sound right? 

29 minutes ago, AlexfromManchester said:

Ok so I went to immigration today. They were really friendly but did not grant me a 60 day Covid extension. 

I did ask why and they said I had to get the 30 day extension first and then I could apply for the Covid extension towards the end of that 30 days (if they roll the Covid extension measure for another couple of months)

Does that sound right? 

Exactly. I was planning on posting the following when reading through the thread....."immigration office may request that you apply for the standard 30 day extension available to those that entered on SETV or visa exempt prior to applying for covid extension"

Then you confirmed exactly that.

Just apply for the 60 day covid extension next. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Exactly. I was planning on posting the following when reading through the thread....."immigration office may request that you apply for the standard 30 day extension available to those that entered on SETV or visa exempt prior to applying for covid extension"

Then you confirmed exactly that.

Just apply for the 60 day covid extension next. 

thanks for the info again @DrJack54

Very helpful!