Tourists to Thailand to wear smart tracking devices

snoop1130

There's the usual ridicule, but as a practical matter, sea-going vessels put in to port to re-supply and off-load refuse. If you're down to your last gallon of fresh water, you can't sit out in the harbor for two weeks. What plans do the authorities have for allowing re-supply? Will Grab dinghies be delivering food orders? 

• Haha 2

No where in the article,besides the headline, does it say that tourists will be required to wear a tracking wristband.

This seems to be an idea mooted by some guy connected to a digital economy company.               As far as I can see, this isn't an official proclamation from the immigration police.                        

Edited by shy coconut
Edit

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"Welcome super wealthy yacht people. There is just one thing we have not talked about yet..."

Another week... another idea. Who is arriving on their yatch and from which country are they saying from? Serious you just couldn't make this up

As the sign in Patong says 'Patong Never Give Up!!". It gave up a long time ago and every-one left the party to the provinces. Now a tracker is going to save yacht tourism coming into monsoon season ....... Likely to be as successful as the current vaccination program. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

There's the usual ridicule, but as a practical matter, sea-going vessels put in to port to re-supply and off-load refuse. If you're down to your last gallon of fresh water, you can't sit out in the harbor for two weeks. What plans do the authorities have for allowing re-supply? Will Grab dinghies be delivering food orders? 

Refueling occurs at anchor offshore.

Your allowed to receive provisions during the 3 doctor (swab) visits.

Yachts make their own freshwater.

Rubbish gets compacted and stored

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

As the sign in Patong says 'Patong Never Give Up!!". It gave up a long time ago and every-one left the party to the provinces. Now a tracker is going to save yacht tourism coming into monsoon season ....... Likely to be as successful as the current vaccination program. 

Vaccination program .. ?

Whatever next ..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike 1 said:

I shouldn't worry too much, pm could always keep a track of things with one of his submarines or even better keep a closer eye on things from outer space 

Topic Closed.

Yellow Submarines , are full of Gold ..555

Is there a little lock on that wristband that makes it into the same thing that criminals on parole wear, or is it slip-on/slip-off leave-it-on-the-yacht and Bob's your uncle? 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 5:44 PM, snoop1130 said:

Tourists to Thailand to wear smart tracking devices

ezgif.com-gif-maker.jpg

Image: Thairath

Tourists in Phuket who arrive on yachts will be required to wear a smart wristband to monitor them.

The high tech device will enable something called "Digital Yacht Quarantine" to become a reality and kickstart the process of rescuing Phuket tourism.

Thai Rath said that Thailand's tourism economy had been devastated by the pandemic and this was most keenly felt in places that relied on foreign tourists like Phuket.

They put losses there at 320 billion baht.

Recovering from such devastation was vital.

This is where "Digital Yacht Quarantine" comes in, said Sr Natthaphol Nimanpatcharin a digital economy expert.

Tourists on yachts will be able to quarantine for 14 days on their vessels offshore. 

They will be aided in this by wearing the AIS NB-IoT Wristband Tourist Tracking device. 

It will monitor their health and maintain contact with the shore creating confidence among all concerned.

It will make "Digital Yacht Quarantine'' useful and efficient" , said Dr Natthaphol.

AIS senior executive Thanapong Itthisakunchai said that the Thai yacht association will be handling the issuing of wristbands. 

Tourists will have to wear the tracker at all times. The data will then be analysed prior to the traveller disembarking their boat.

It is not yet known whether or not the smart wristbands will be implemented elsewhere in Thailand or on a larger scale in conjunction with the mooted re-opening of Thailand’s borders to vaccinated foreign tourists.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-11

Can't wait to send this to my friends currently vacationing in Mexico.  They should all have a hearty laugh as they're drinking their beer at the Cantina. 

• Like 1

I would love such a tracking device and would pay for it myself , if I could quarantine at my home. I would wear it , and  by it they can bake sure I never leave home, it could be my land yacht. 

• Like 1

Good old George Orwell!  He stirred-up a right hornets nest!

The book is obviously available in Thailand now, about 80 years after it was first published, so I suppose there's a lot of time to make-up; sit-back and relax, but don't get too comfortable.

16 hours ago, Buckles said:

You mean like convicted criminals on home detention, happy holidays and freedom.

All  we are saying is , give them a second chance .

Answers . On a postcard , to born again Christians ...

Personally , i would save the Human race , Oxygen ..555