Tourists to Thailand to wear smart tracking devices

snoop1130

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is about quality tourists and those with Money.  They feel that these types are super wealthy and will pay to play and stay.

And a few will do exactly that. Too few however to have no measurable impact on the Tourism Industry.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Tourists to Thailand to wear smart tracking devices

ezgif.com-gif-maker.jpg

Image: Thairath

Tourists in Phuket who arrive on yachts will be required to wear a smart wristband to monitor them.

The high tech device will enable something called "Digital Yacht Quarantine" to become a reality and kickstart the process of rescuing Phuket tourism.

Thai Rath said that Thailand's tourism economy had been devastated by the pandemic and this was most keenly felt in places that relied on foreign tourists like Phuket.

They put losses there at 320 billion baht.

Recovering from such devastation was vital.

This is where "Digital Yacht Quarantine" comes in, said Sr Natthaphol Nimanpatcharin a digital economy expert.

Tourists on yachts will be able to quarantine for 14 days on their vessels offshore. 

They will be aided in this by wearing the AIS NB-IoT Wristband Tourist Tracking device. 

It will monitor their health and maintain contact with the shore creating confidence among all concerned.

It will make "Digital Yacht Quarantine'' useful and efficient" , said Dr Natthaphol.

AIS senior executive Thanapong Itthisakunchai said that the Thai yacht association will be handling the issuing of wristbands. 

Tourists will have to wear the tracker at all times. The data will then be analysed prior to the traveller disembarking their boat.

It is not yet known whether or not the smart wristbands will be implemented elsewhere in Thailand or on a larger scale in conjunction with the mooted re-opening of Thailand’s borders to vaccinated foreign tourists.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-11

Probably irritates the skin of some folk taking all that bio data with light pulses....................

When I was a kid we had those yellow books that we had to keep with our passports that listed all the vaccinations the holder of the book has received. The yellow book was required to present together with the passport at immigration entry counters. 

I am not visiting any country that makes me wear a tracking device and i am sure that i am not the only one with this view. Thailand is not the be all and end all like these brainstormers think. They make a person wonder sometimes.

• Like 1

Can they make it fit around my chest so I can use it as a workout monitor when i do my calisthenics on my Super Yacht.  4 times around the upper track and I get a KM in.  Then down to the mega kitchen for a cold beer while still in quarantine and I can eat my $100 a quart Ben and Jerry's..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

If the purpose of the band is to monitor your health, I wonder exactly what it achieves?

you are in quarantine, if you get sick you will phone for assistance. If you don’t get sick, you will complete quarantine and go ashore. Either way, a wristband achieves nothing.

if the purpose of of the band is to act as a GPS monitor in order to make sure you don’t leave your vessel, I guess it acts as some kind of deterrent against breaking quarantine, but that assumes you can’t just take it off and leave it aboard while you go ashore.

sounds like it’s a gimmick to me which serves no real purpose.

No idea.

Probably just another tool to monitor health stats.

We're unable to leave the boat. Not that we would.

Land is 6km+ away as well and there is a small navy boat monitoring us from a distance.

4 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

No idea.

Probably just another tool to monitor health stats.

We're unable to leave the boat. Not that we would.

Land is 6km+ away as well and there is a small navy boat monitoring us from a distance.

No sub's?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bartman1369 said:

The headline is very misleading, then you read the first line of the story.

Yup, such action has a name. Unfortunately many will see the headline and read no further and consider it applies to all tourists. Really sad to see.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Tourists in Phuket who arrive on yachts will be required to wear a smart wristband to monitor them.

And just How many tourists do they think will arrive on there Yachts? Millions ? what a Laugh.

Have I got this right? They want rich tourists to come to Thailand on their yacht, but they aren't allowed to come on shore? I suppose a positive is they won't get killed by a drunk driver or shot at by a local because of a perceived insult that damages their fragile ego. See, there's always a silver lining.

17 hours ago, elliss said:

Lazada have

I track my  misses , when she goes to the Village / Pattaya .

yeah, track her.. not care where she goes, just need to know when she comes back...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, raccos21 said:

They want your money, but at the same time, they treat you like prisoners - with the awful tracking device, etc. I would rather spend my holiday somewhere else or in my own country. This is like entering some kinda alien planet... I wonder, 'who is the mastermind behind this idea?'

1458CEBA-5CEA-4D0E-AC63-C68592A3F0D0.jpeg

How about . . . https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-56342860