Retirement extension reqirements

Sorry if this has been hashed to death, but I cannot find the answer here or online.

I will shortly need to cancel my extension based on marriage due to divorce.  So now I need a retirement extension.  I know the rules have changed.  What I need to know is if it is still possible to use the 400,000 THB in the bank plus monthly income for a total of 800,000 THB for the year. I'm closer to 900,000 THB mark.  

The immigrstion website still lists this as an option.  However, it also does not list the new requirements, either. So I am a bit concerned.  Does anyone have an answer to this? Since separating from my wife, I have met another woman, but I do not feel comfortabke starting a new relationship only to have to go back to Canada.

Thank you...

@ubonjoe.  Can you give brief outline of how someone should proceed in OP situation. No so much the financial requirements but more how to change from based on marriage to based on retirement. Easy for married couple (with ongoing marriage) to wait until next extension and change.

In situations such as OP, how does it work. Let's say the OP was getting divorced in a month or 2. In pre covid times he could just exit Thailand, re-enter visa exempt and obtain non o based on retirement. With marriage, doesn't his permission of stay end with his divorce. 

• Like 1

You can get a Income Verification Letter from the Canadian Embassy, well you could last October, and if your CPP and Worksafe adds up to 800,000 or  more then you don't need to show any money in  a Thai bank book, well in my case I didn't have to.

I have attached the form that Canada Embassy uses, that you fill  out, then they will type out a letter for you. Of you do use the Income Letter method, take the documents that you use at the Canadian Embassy to Immigration as sometimes they will ask to see them.

Income Verification_000016.pdf

On 3/13/2021 at 7:34 AM, dsj said:

You can get a Income Verification Letter from the Canadian Embassy, well you could last October, and if your CPP and Worksafe adds up to 800,000 or  more then you don't need to show any money in  a Thai bank book, well in my case I didn't have to.

I have attached the form that Canada Embassy uses, that you fill  out, then they will type out a letter for you. Of you do use the Income Letter method, take the documents that you use at the Canadian Embassy to Immigration as sometimes they will ask to see them.

Income Verification_000016.pdf 377.1 kB · 4 downloads

Thank you... will be using the combination method.

On 3/12/2021 at 10:23 AM, ubonjoe said:

As soon as his divorce is finalized he would take proof of the divorce to immigration to have his extension of stay based upon marriage canceled and on the same day apply for an extension based upon retirement.

In this case, what about the 800000 bahts; suppose he has 400000 bahts for marriage, it's not enough to get a retired visa ; what immigration will say ? 

And in case of death of the Thai spouse ? the foreigner has to come immediatly to inform the immigration or he can wait the next extension to ask for a retirement visa ? 

2 hours ago, WinterGael said:

Thank you... will be using the combination method.

I just give the Embassy a copy of my latest tax return that I download from Canada Revenue website, and they seem satisfy with that.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Aforek said:

In this case, what about the 800000 bahts; suppose he has 400000 bahts for marriage, it's not enough to get a retired visa ; what immigration will say ? 

I would assume a person would know that they would need the required financial proof for retirement. Divorces do not happen fast so there should be time to have the 800k baht in the bank for 2 months.

30 minutes ago, Aforek said:

And in case of death of the Thai spouse ? the foreigner has to come immediatly to inform the immigration or he can wait the next extension to ask for a retirement visa ? 

There is no requirement to report a spouse's death to immigration. The extension does not end if a Thai spouse dies.

When the extension was due he could inform them then and apply for a different type of extension.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I would assume a person would know that they would need the required financial proof for retirement. Divorces do not happen fast so there should be time to have the 800k baht in the bank for 2 months.

There is no requirement to report a spouse's death to immigration. The extension does not end if a Thai spouse dies.

When the extension was due he could inform them then and apply for a different type of extension.

Divorces do not happen fast... I never thought about this... what is immigration going to think about my not living in the same home as my wife while we wait to get divorced?  She says we can get divorce in 3 to 4 months as neither of us are contesting this.

2 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

Divorces do not happen fast... I never thought about this... what is immigration going to think about my not living in the same home as my wife while we wait to get divorced? 

Nothing really.

And they would not know about it unless you told them.

4 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

She says we can get divorce in 3 to 4 months as neither of us are contesting this.

Winter, when does your current permission of stay end? If wife agrees to wait for divorce you could switch to based on retirement at next extension and subsequently obtain the divorce.

In that situation the divorce doesn't have anything to do with your ongoing stay in Thailand

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Winter, when does your current permission of stay end? If wife agrees to wait for divorce you could switch to based on retirement at next extension and subsequently obtain the divorce.

In that situation the divorce doesn't have anything to do with your ongoing stay in Thailand

I just got my 1-year extension today based on marriage.

The best course to take, is have your Landlord signed a copy of their Thai ID card & House Registered book; obtain from the Landlord a (1) year rental agreement. Have the Landlord register on the immigration website, and upload the TM30.

Get that signed original TM30 that was uploaded, and a signed screenshot copy of the Immigration website, that it was done.

You fill out a TM27 ( Alien Change of Address form).  Go to immigration hand them copy of your Passport  signed copy of Landlord ID & House book : original signed TM30  that was uploaded : Landlord signed copy of immigration webpage showing TM30 was filed : copy of your last 90 days reporting.

They will give you a change of address notification slip.

When you obtain the divorce, by law you are require to notify immigration once you get the Divorce Certificate and order. At that point they will cancel your Extension of stay base on marriage by reason of Divorce, and once you have the required documents for the retirement extension they will issue it on the spot.

Plan ahead your Bank letter : Bank Statement : Bank Book updated on that day : Application Forms : Signed copy by Landlord of ID & House book : (1) year rental contract : Map of Rental : all the copies of Passport detail page and Thai stamps  old extension stamp : last entry stamp : TM6 both side : Re-Entry Permit stamp : Last 90 day slip. If in Bangkok, I understand they want to see (3) months rental slip.

If you do not notify them of your divorce on your next renewal applying for retirement, can or may get sticky, if they asked that your wife give permission for the change of reason. Some immigrations have requested this. Only to find out you were divorce since last year and they not informed. 

2 hours ago, node said:

The best course to take, is have your Landlord signed a copy of their Thai ID card & House Registered book; obtain from the Landlord a (1) year rental agreement. Have the Landlord register on the immigration website, and upload the TM30.

Get that signed original TM30 that was uploaded, and a signed screenshot copy of the Immigration website, that it was done.

You fill out a TM27 ( Alien Change of Address form).  Go to immigration hand them copy of your Passport  signed copy of Landlord ID & House book : original signed TM30  that was uploaded : Landlord signed copy of immigration webpage showing TM30 was filed : copy of your last 90 days reporting.

They will give you a change of address notification slip.

When you obtain the divorce, by law you are require to notify immigration once you get the Divorce Certificate and order. At that point they will cancel your Extension of stay base on marriage by reason of Divorce, and once you have the required documents for the retirement extension they will issue it on the spot.

Plan ahead your Bank letter : Bank Statement : Bank Book updated on that day : Application Forms : Signed copy by Landlord of ID & House book : (1) year rental contract : Map of Rental : all the copies of Passport detail page and Thai stamps  old extension stamp : last entry stamp : TM6 both side : Re-Entry Permit stamp : Last 90 day slip. If in Bangkok, I understand they want to see (3) months rental slip.

If you do not notify them of your divorce on your next renewal applying for retirement, can or may get sticky, if they asked that your wife give permission for the change of reason. Some immigrations have requested this. Only to find out you were divorce since last year and they not informed. 

Wow.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, WinterGael said:

Wow.  Thank you.

With which immigration office do you deal? @node's advice might need to be read in conjunction with whatever specific requirements they might have on the points which he has covered.