The cave rescue is back...big time!

Brunolem

8 hours ago, Susco said:

Does that include the 44 million that received food stamps in 2020?

It's all RELATIVE.  So tell me about your perfect country and we can compare.  some on foodstamps have 10 flat-screen TV's, a car, and cash in the bank.

they have disposable income.  spin whatever story you want in your head, but you have no idea.  and you can probably early 35,000 USD and still get food stamps.  i have no idea, but i'm sure there is a threshold.  

On 3/13/2021 at 2:51 PM, cmarshall said:

Too bad.  Ron Howard is one of the biggest hack directors in Hollywood making simplistic, formulaic movies every time.  He should have stayed in Mayberry.

Wow, did you get a wrong number! Ron Howard's finest movie was "Apollo 13," where -- yeah, we knew the ending -- but the story was the incredible teamsmanship of players with individual incredible skills, all working in harmony, to arrive at the world's applause and tear shedding at its happy ending. This movie promises to be nothing less.

Yeah, American actors. So what -- they'll speak with appropriate Brit and Ozzie accents -- just as Damien Lewis does as an American paratrooper.

Not filmed in Thailand? Neither was the "Bridge on the River Kwai", which I doubt offended Brit and Ozzie WWII pow.s. Thus, doesn't subtract from the story.

I, for one, welcome watching this film, as it will highlight the human spirit and talent in a world otherwise gone mad.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 10:50 AM, DefaultName said:

I don't really remember Americans being much in evidence at the time, but I'd place money on an American being the hero in this film.  ????

Then I'm afraid you weren't really paying attention. They may not have been at the absolute forefront of the operation, but there were plenty of them there.

All told, there were more than 30 US personnel involved, mostly from the US Air Force’s 31st and 33rd Rescue Squadrons.

They were frequently mentioned and seen in TV coverage at the time.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 10:50 AM, DefaultName said:

I don't really remember Americans being much in evidence at the time, but I'd place money on an American being the hero in this film.  ????

The US navy?, divers played an important role but were not trained for such an undertaking and not the only ones who assisted as best they could from the tea lady and the somtam seller, the car park attendant etc. thru' to the divers and support staff. 

So what's the problem other than the sad fact that the Americans will be the hero's - normal for all American movies 

• Like 1

Rather than watch the Americanised version of events, purchase the recently released book co-written by Richard Harris and Craig Challen, the 2 Aussie divers who were at the forefront and undertook the final rescue - this is the facts, not the fiction. 

Edited by Artisi

Booooring ???? A story about what ? A coach too stupid to know about rain & cave flooding?

Nah..

They should do something exciting like the story about how a handful of prostitutes returning from Myanmar

supposedly infected all of Thailand with Covid! That would be a seriocomedy

Or better yet the story of how Vorayuth Yoovidhya crashed his car in 2012, killing a police officer, but charges against him were dropped sparking outrage in Thailand!

Maybe show the whole brown envelope trail etc

Edited by meechai
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2021 at 3:50 AM, DefaultName said:

Too true. U571 anyone! Pathetic. The Brits got the enigma and cracked it. Sometimes yanks can be the worst.

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Too true. U571 anyone! Pathetic. The Brits got the enigma and cracked it. Sometimes yanks can be the worst.

Except it's not true. There were plenty of Americans involved. I'm a Brit myself but I believe in acknowledging the facts.

They may not have been the lead cave divers involved in the initial search and the British divers took the lead in many aspects of operations but overall there were many more Americans than Brits - over 30 US military personnel (including divers) were part of the rescue team.

12 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Yeah, and damn those Japanese while we're at it. Without them, America may have sat the war out, peacefully protected by its oceans. I'd have no problem speaking German in a post-war London. And I still can't figure out how we Yanks lost 100,000 men in WWI, when the Dutch were able to sit the war out..... What's wrong with that picture!

Anyway, in spite of the American Revolution, we saved the European butts in both WWI and WWII -- then paid a fortune of our tax dollars to subsidize the Europeans (which include the British, in my vernacular) with the Marshall Plan. Now, with Trump gone, is it possible the Europeans will cough up their fair share of NATO? Probably not -- and actually their fair share should be the whole pie, as Americans shouldn't have to pay for Europe's defense with our tax dollars taken away from needed infrastructure, education, etc.

Yes, Yanks can be haughty; but in the presence of Europeans, it's warranted.

Edited by JimGant
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, and damn those Japanese while we're at it. Without them, America may have sat the war out, peacefully protected by its oceans. I'd have no problem speaking German in a post-war London. And I still can't figure out how we Yanks lost 100,000 men in WWI, when the Dutch were able to sit the war out..... What's wrong with that picture!

Anyway, in spite of the American Revolution, we saved the European butts in both WWI and WWII -- then paid a fortune of our tax dollars to subsidize the Europeans (which include the British, in my vernacular) with the Marshall Plan. Now, with Trump gone, is it possible the Europeans will cough up their fair share of NATO? Probably not -- and actually their fair share should be the whole pie, as Americans shouldn't have to pay for Europe's defense with our tax dollars taken away from needed infrastructure, education, etc.

Yes, Yanks can be haughty; but in the presence of Europeans, it's warranted.

Feel better after the off-topic rant

but while on the topic of wars and saving money, a country that has been involved in, started, and with still ongoing conflicts numbering over 100, suggest you look at home policies for saving your precious US$'s

7 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I really enjoyed watching this.  Fascinating, thanks.

Yes it's a great interview, very telling on the stress and commitment involved in this rescue. 

On 3/20/2021 at 8:20 PM, Artisi said:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-esjQLvsgTs&feature=share

Probably the best there is, no need for movies. 

I agree with that, wholeheartedly. Excellent documentary, no nationalistic flag-waving, my country did more than yours, Thais useless blah, blah, blah.

It showed just how wonderfully people from many countries joined with the Thais to achieve the rescue.

As you said, no need for a movie, even from a quality director like Ron Howard.

• Like 1