Trained sniffer dogs to be sent to airport to detect asymptomatic COVID-19 cases

webfact

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I reckon that dog’s been sniffing out the donuts too !!!! (mean comment, i know, couldn’t resist !!!)

This actually seems like a good idea. There are many articles around that Dogs can detect Covid-19 in patience along with other diseases. Interestingly so humans with ‘super smell’ can also detect Alzheimer’s.

There is a lot to be said for Odour - everything has it to some extent, even if we cannot detect it. 

BUT... ALL of that said.... You Thai Bashers out there, please do not let facts get in the way of making complete idiots of yourselves and using this opportunity to blindly throw ridicule at Thailand. 

Well, it took me a whole page to see a positive post - I am with you on this one!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You just can not make this stuff up.  Next they will deploy the dogs to sniff and see if the tourists arriving have enough money in their wallets, and of course the needed insurance.  So then of course there will be no need for the IO to ask or check. On leaving Thailand the dogs will sniff them to make sure they do not have any more cash left, and then they will be found to have Covid so off to the hospital to garner the last amount of money from the Insurance company.  Just saying.

This post may contain portions of sarcasm or it may not.

Dogs to detect covid were originally used in Finland, there was a news article about this last summer. The dog was around 95 percent acurate, if you tested positive with the dog then they give you the manual test to confirm..

• Like 2

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Professor Dr. Kaywalee Chatdarong, vice dean of the research and innovations section of the Veterinary Faculty and chief of the project, explained that all the thermal scanners or imaging systems installed at ports of entry or at public venues only detect higher body temperatures and no other symptoms and, therefore, are not effective in detecting asymptomatic cases.

So, totally pointless then. As it is at every store and business that scans you as you enter. All just for show.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wait as eventual tourists being led away for an expensive 14 day quarantine after being sniffed out by a dog even though said tourist already got the vaccine. This is going to go over like a lead balloon but this is xenophobia at its finest. I feel the thai gov't cares about its citizenry but I question some of their decisions at times. If enough tourists are forced into quarantine or opt to cancel their vacation in Thailand as a result of being sniffed out by a dog I feel tourists will stay away in mass and will go elsewhere to vacation. I don't see how this will benefit the millions of thai people who are dependent on tourism. The decisions made by gov't folks doesn't affect them since they have the security of a gov't job and it would be nice to see gov't officials make decisions which would help the millions of thai people who are suffering due to no tourism.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

So it'll be your word against the dogs then .. cant see folk wagging their tails in anticipation of flying in if they are being met by mutt's waiting to snout them .. and where are they gonna be sniffing as well is of concern .. 

Dogs have no reason to lie. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stoker58 said:

98.4% accuracy, eh? The Thais are a truly comical people. <deleted> detecting dogs would be even more useful.

Someone else here has said that COVID detecting dogs in Finland have been 95 pct effective. 

So, strange but true. 

10 hours ago, rebo said:

In Thailand you can be sure that the PCR double test will show the same result as the dog said. Otherwise the dog would lose its face and quit its job without prior notice.

It would be transferred to an inactive kennel.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, potless said:

As arrivals are whisked off to quarantine anyway and undergo 2 tests, what is the use of it? If or when these dogs are used, a better place to patrol would be the markets. Then again, they will possibly run off with the meat.

PCR test aren't that accurate. The so-called gold standard RT-PCR test can have a false negative up to 20 to 66 percent of the time in even symptomatic patient.

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2021/01/why-covid-pcr-tests-arent-as-accurate-as-you-think.html

maybe the dogs can do  a better job!

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 3:00 PM, kiteman9 said:

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You just can not make this stuff up.  Next they will deploy the dogs to sniff and see if the tourists arriving have enough money in their wallets, and of course the needed insurance.  So then of course there will be no need for the IO to ask or check. On leaving Thailand the dogs will sniff them to make sure they do not have any more cash left, and then they will be found to have Covid so off to the hospital to garner the last amount of money from the Insurance company.  Just saying.

This post may contain portions of sarcasm or it may not.

No worries for you - nothing going in our out, surprised they still let u in

with such an attitude- go home where u will be happy again 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

No worries for you - nothing going in our out, surprised they still let u in

with such an attitude- go home where u will be happy again 

I have doubts about the 2nd paragraph.

18 hours ago, WineOh said:

did I get off at the wrong stop?

like cloud cuckoo land?

this place is mad!

NOT IF  the doggies keep the virus out of Thailand.......as of 11th march there has been only 85 reported deaths....Thailand is one of the "safest" places for covid SO KEEP IT UP Thailand......better to be safe than SORRY !!!

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Maybe not 10 times, but yes they are better. "Scientists found the number of active olfactory genes in elephants is at 2,000. This number is twice the amount found in dogs. "

Problem is if the elephant wants go for a pee or something??

Pigs are also better than dogs and have other advantages.  Telling adherents to a certain widespread cult that they'll be sniffed by a pig on arrival might cut the numbers coming here down.  ????

Plus, when they get older, no need to retire them, barbecue time.  ????️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

PCR test aren't that accurate. The so-called gold standard RT-PCR test can have a false negative up to 20 to 66 percent of the time in even symptomatic patient.

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2021/01/why-covid-pcr-tests-arent-as-accurate-as-you-think.html

maybe the dogs can do  a better job!

I read that dogs may be able to detect the virus at an early stage whereas an RT-PCR test may not. That has to be a bonus. 

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Sniffer dogs, specially trained to detect people infected with COVID-19

For reference (CTV News):-

Specially trained dogs are highly effective at sniffing out the presence of COVID-19 in human sweat, according to a new study, which bolsters existing evidence and suggests that dogs could play a key role in efforts to control the virus.

Why do feet smell? - Curious Questions with Answers | Educational Videos by  Mocomi - YouTube

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Look, elephants' sense of smell is ten times better than that of dogs, and they're more intelligent. The elephant in the room.... ????

And then at the baggage carousel, you collect your trunk!  ????

Joking aside, there are dogs trained to sniff out cancer and other sicknesses as has been posted, so not quite such a stupid idea.

Edited by VBF

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I reckon that dog’s been sniffing out the donuts too !!!! (mean comment, i know, couldn’t resist !!!)

This actually seems like a good idea. There are many articles around that Dogs can detect Covid-19 in patience along with other diseases. Interestingly so humans with ‘super smell’ can also detect Alzheimer’s.

There is a lot to be said for Odour - everything has it to some extent, even if we cannot detect it. 

BUT... ALL of that said.... You Thai Bashers out there, please do not let facts get in the way of making complete idiots of yourselves and using this opportunity to blindly throw ridicule at Thailand. 

Why don’t they use the dogs to sniff out their own people that have Covid. That would be a better use or are they worried they would find to many.