Asphalt Roofing Tiles where to buy. ?

jasonr3255

Can anybody suggest a supplier / website / of Asphalt roofing in Thailand, ones that resemble tiles in long strips like in the picture below. None of the big building suppliers seem to stock it, yet it seems to be popping up in lots of new houses resorts.

Many Thanks

F5630369-F9CF-4F9D-86DE-BCE65BF9F805.png

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Since they need a wood substrate to be fixed to they are a poor choice here unless you like feeding termites.

Yeah, that was my immediate thought too. Steel or cement tiles will blunt the beastie's teeth.

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, that was my immediate thought too. Steel or cement tiles will blunt the beastie's teeth.

But only blunt them ???? 

The poster and those using asphalt tiles on a roof are almost certainly from North America and think that the way building is done there along with the materials used is the “only correct” way to do things or are just too lazy to research better ways to do things.

22 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Since they need a wood substrate to be fixed to they are a poor choice here unless you like feeding termites.

do you have any knowlege about termites problems with asphalt shingle roofs here in thailand?

there are many houses with asphalt shingle roof in thailand, but i could not find any infos ...

you can install termite proofed osb boards ... and the other thing is, the heat does kill termites ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOsLm211W2I

32 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

do you have any knowlege about termites problems with asphalt shingle roofs here in thailand?

No.  Nor have I ever seen asphalt shingle roofs used here.  They sure did not work well on my Homstead Florida house when Andrew paid a visit.  Would not even consider using them here.  Our cement tile roof is 45 years and counting.  

• Like 1

There is a house on Easternstar golf course Ban Chang  that had asphalt shingles installed 20 years ago. This was done on top of cement board sheets fixed with an air operated staple gun. Still looks good. The house originally had genuine cedar wood shingles which lasted 1 year before being replaced. I would assume an installation problem was the reason for replacement.

Also all the drink stop roofs at Green Valley golf course were replaced with asphalt shingles around 15 years ago. Again installed on top of cement fiber boards. The original American vinyl sided homes at Green Valley (built from imported kits), have I think,  asphalt shingles which would make their roofs 30 years old. Obviously standards vary as 20 square feet can cost  from 10 to 100 dollars in the US.

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2021 at 3:09 PM, motdaeng said:

The termites don’t eat the asphalt AFIK they go for the wood that you almost have to use, and yes I’ve seen the house next doors’ roof destroyed by termites 

On 3/18/2021 at 3:09 PM, motdaeng said:

you can install termite proofed osb boards ... and the other thing is, the heat does kill termites ...

The may be termite resistant but probably not termite proof and what are you going to fix the OSB to? There’s on pressure treated wood easily available here.

No the heat does not kill them, at least not Thai termites.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The termites don’t eat the asphalt AFIK they go for the wood that you almost have to use, and yes I’ve seen the house next doors’ roof destroyed by termites 

The may be termite resistant but probably not termite proof and what are you going to fix the OSB to? There’s on pressure treated wood easily available here.

No the heat does not kill them, at least not Thai termites.

i am not the termite expert ... i am sure you have more experiance!

in my area there are a few houses with osb-boards and asphalt shingle roofs. new buildings and

some over 25 years old. some of this buildings belong to the same owner. he has houses, resorts,

estates all over thailand (and also abroad). this owner (company) still builds new

houses with osb-boards and asphalt shingle roofs. i do not think he would do that if the houses

will have a termite problem ...

btw, one of the cos of ashalt shingle roofs are, it get (fast) hot in the attica (can be over100F). this high

temperature maybe kills the termites. but as i said, i am not expert!

just to add, one of the pros of ashalt shingle roofs are, the attica cools down very fast in the evening

(with the correct ventilation).

3 hours ago, motdaeng said:

i am not the termite expert ... i am sure you have more experiance!

Having had the next door house virtually collapse from termite damage & a board eaten by them I may have more experience.

just to add, one of the pros of ashalt shingle roofs are, the attica cools down very fast in the evening

Metal roofs cool down faster.

btw, one of the cos of ashalt shingle roofs are, it get (fast) hot in the attica (can be over100F). this high

temperature maybe kills the termites. but as i said, i am not expert!

Sorry but I don’t understand your language but the heating of the roof space is a very bad idea, also you really should be using the temperature scale used in Thailand, and the majority or the world, if you did you would know that the number you gave is quite low and normal day time temperatures here

7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Having had the next door house virtually collapse from termite damage & a board eaten by them I may have more experience.

... also you really should be using the temperature scale used in Thailand ...

the topic is about asphalt single roofing. some member think it is a poor choice because of termite problem. no one will argue with you, termites can do a lot of damage. so your next house had a problem with the osb-boards under the asphalt single roof? 

about the temperature scale, sorry, my bad! what i do believe, the material osb-board (as roof substructure) will became just too hot for termites ...

termite.png.9159207095ef23738b5a87f6b77c88d2.png

15 hours ago, motdaeng said:

about the temperature scale, sorry, my bad! what i do believe, the material osb-board (as roof substructure) will became just too hot for termites ...

The termites ate the wood in the roof, they may only have been active at night, but they certainly destroyed virtually all the wood used in the roof.

15 hours ago, motdaeng said:

so your next house had a problem with the osb-boards under the asphalt single roof?

No he didn’t use asphalt but the outer cover isn’t important it’s the structure that it’s fixed to.

It has been mentioned that you can use cement compost instead of wood, that’s the only way to be termite proof.

Of corse you can try a wood substrate but if you get termites you will have to strip the roof and rebuild it probably you will need some if not all new asphalt as well.  

Your money, your funeral 

• Thanks 1

In California, builders of lower cost homes would spec asphalt roof sheets like the OP requested. Very quick installation. Sure n plywood sub-roof. However on higher spec custom homes or better subdivisions you may in fact see concrete roof tiles. A stronger roof support is needed, they still use a plywood sub-roof and it takes more labor. Monier was active in California when I lived there. There was legal action due to the color fading. 

https://classactionsreporter.com/settlement/monier-slurry-coated-roofing-tiles-settlement/

I have priced the "imported" asphalt roof sheets from a company in Bangkok. It was a very high price considering what those same roof sheets sold for in the USA. My home is SCG Monier flat roof cement roof tiles.