Average price of beer in Thailand costs more than in Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Berlin and Washington: Study

webfact

6 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

See Australian wine in Thailand for 700- 800B per bottle. Pay 250- 350B in oz. Same brand and type. Huge import tax. 

This often comes up in conversation here.  Take away the alc. tax , reduce the import duty and more will enjoy a drink which in turn will bring 'appiness big to folk.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bdenner said:

So why are you wasting band width here in this thread?

Anyway, TTF for the Mom and Pop stores scattered through regional Thailand.

To keep people like you busy commenting.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

The average price of beer costs more in Bangkok than in Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Brussels and Berlin, a new study has revealed.

And for absolutely garbage beer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VBF said:

Noble Price indeed....but definitely NOT the Nobel Prize!  

How many have you had today?

Come on man! the Nobel Prize is kinda Nobel:) (Note the second misplelling is intentionel).

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Beer lao dark is only 49 baht now in Tops, where do they get 149 baht from for a small bottle? one or two imports maybe.

To start with, the 49 Baht for a Lao dark is suspicious. It is either old stock they are clearing, or maybe closing down sale, because anywhere else it is still 68 Baht.

As for the 149 Baht, maybe try to read the article instead of only the headline, as it is clearly explained how they reach that price.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Susco said:

To start with, the 49 Baht for a Lao dark is suspicious. It is either old stock they are clearing, or maybe closing down sale, because anywhere else it is still 68 Baht.

As for the 149 Baht, maybe try to read the article instead of only the headline, as it is clearly explained how they reach that price.

First thing I looked at, not old stock but new

7 hours ago, Sugardaddyforsure said:

Super market prices in Spain! 9 Bht. For German beer, Thai beer we had (export quality natural like German) 12 Bht.

Show me an online folder of a supermarket with those prices.

12 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

In a high price country like Germany you get 0.5 liters for 12-13 cents(supermarket) that is 4-5 bt.It's pi..water but still better than the chemical shi. you get here.

I think you are full of it, below is the price for 0.5 liter of beer in the Aldi, the cheapest supermarket in Germany.

Looks as if the real price is about 5-6 times of what you claim

https://www.aldi-sued.de/de/produkte/produktsortiment/getraenke/bier.html

466773309_Aldibeer.thumb.jpg.abe982aea7c1de68d01c9ffbbe031432.jpg

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand-particularly Bangkok- was  ranked in 37th place overall with beer prices ranging from $0.94 (29 THB)

Bt29. I'm thinking. Can of acha? Not sure. Doesn't really matter. Should be more about expensive and complete and utter cat's .......... Worst beer in SEA.

Edited by dinsdale

My local bar in Ayr charges £2.75 (Thb115) for a pint if "Fair Jenny's Jig" a 4.3% pale Ale, made on the premises. Local bar on the outskirts of Chiangmai charges Thb95 for a pint of draft Tiger.

I agree that 100 pipers is a poor, under matured and overpriced whisky.

I would like a 10 year old Talisker or 12 year old Ardbeg. Neither are available in Thailand.

4 hours ago, thaisuki said:

Beer bars and gogo bars contribute to the high price in Bangkok.

I am curious thaisuki, which beer bars, which location and what price.? 

I have a mate in Bangkapi who tells me 3 large Leo will cost him 200 baht. Does not sound a high price to me. 

16 hours ago, Surelynot said:

That is my impression (only an impression though) from seeing them on the beach, in the village.......it seems whiskey and soda is the go to drink. I am guessing they get more bang for their buck.

A significant number of Thais do drink beer, you see them outside the mom & pop shops all the time. Also at home if only one or two people.

As you say, when in groups whiskey is much more common, probably convenience and price.

• Thanks 1

I am in Aussie one of my local bottle shops ( connected to Woolworths Supermarket) has started selling 6 pack's of Chang (small bottles) for 17.00 $ AUD. and as for local beer prices it is a sick joke, on average it is AUD 50.00, sprites 700 mil $ 45-up wards. Our so called Government just love taxes and will get them anyway they can.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:03 AM, British Bulldog said:

.... and not forgetting the Irish .... In Vientiane, we pay approx. 195 Baht for a pint of drought Guinness in a bar ... Wednesdays, buy two get one free .... die la mair !

and not forgetting the Irish .... In Vientiane, we pay ...... so, you are Irish with a user name like British Bulldog - bow your head in shame. ????

• Haha 1