Average price of beer in Thailand costs more than in Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Berlin and Washington: Study

webfact

14 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Downside you have to drink it in Wetherspoons

Not at all Neal, some 'spoons pubs are just as OK as some of the others.

Since I came back to the UK I haven't been using pubs much. However, half price booze is a big deal for many, another example, £1.95 for a pint of Strongbow, £3.80 anywhere else. Whatever 'ambience' some of these full priced pubs have is lost on me!????

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

What does an attractive 30 year old wife/gf weighing 45Kg cost in the UK these days?

(Thailand 10Kbht/month)

What does a 1 bed apartment with pool access outside the living room window cost in the UK these days?

(Pattaya around 10Kbht/month)

pool.jpg

Depends where you are. My flat in Worcester UK costs the same as the one I had in Bangkok.

Also, an old friend in Khon Khen hanged himself after his Thai wife etc had spent all his money (not saying that happens with everyone).

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Whatever 'ambience' some of these full priced pubs have is lost on me!????

I only visited the one about 400m from a mates house. Seemed OK to me. Apparently run by the village residents cooperative

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

About 35 miles too far east.????????

You will have to help me out here buddy, St.Albans cost a bomb to live there compared to what I have in Thailand, there is is the comparison.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 6:07 AM, VocalNeal said:

Downside you have to drink it in Wetherspoons

Went in one once for a cooked breakfast......Middlesbrough......about 9am....there was a queue at the bar, locals anxious to get another beer in!!!

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2021 at 6:22 AM, Andrew65 said:

I'm currently in the UK drinking a can of Stella Artois. I bought a box of 18 X 440ml cans for £13 in Tescos. £0.72  a can.

Obviously pub/bar and supermarket prices are different.

How many wife beatings do you get from a box?????:partytime2:

On 3/20/2021 at 4:17 PM, starky said:

Beat me to it and that's export beer as well not locally produced under license. At Aldi in Australia Leo 330ml bottles work out @22 baht each.

38 baht at the current exchange rate. 24bt=1 dollarimage.png.3844aaf617990f259f602a76aabdf46d.png

13 hours ago, DavisH said:

How many wife beatings do you get from a box?????:partytime2:

None, I live on my own. I only have 4 cans a night max anyway.????

(I'm not really prone to violence when drunk, more likely to just do stupid stuff????).

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2021 at 1:33 PM, Andrew65 said:

Depends where you are. My flat in Worcester UK costs the same as the one I had in Bangkok.

Comparing which part of Worcester with whicn part of Bangkok.? 

Possibly like comparing Worcester with Belgravia or Mayfair. 

Sorry to hear about your friend, mine only nicked a good chunk of it. 

1 hour ago, rott said:

hi, are you interested in some dick tonight?

4 hours ago, rott said:

Just off Sukhumvit Soi 22, if it had been Soi 24 I would have been paying 3 times more.

I first visited Thailand in 1985, it ain't the cheap & cheerful place now that it was back then (maybe it still is in Nakhon Nowhere?).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Just off Sukhumvit Soi 22, if it had been Soi 24 I would have been paying 3 times more.

I first visited Thailand in 1985, it ain't the cheap & cheerful place now that it was back then (maybe it still is in Nakhon Nowhere?).

Depends on your definition of cheap and cheerful, I first arrived in the currency crisis of 1997 and never found lower Suk that cheap even then. Pub prices have always been at least on a par with London, hotel prices thankfully much, much lower. 

Cheap can certainly be found in suburban Bangkok and in Pattaya. Depends what you're prepared to spend and what you're prepared to settle for. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

It is for those who are 35 years younger.

I lived off Soi 22 for years. Every time I returned it felt a little less cheerful.

The guy who lived on the floor above me was in the same apt for 15 years or so and moved out one day. The land lady said he returned to his home country. I said, "what, he was there for 15 years!".

I walked through his unit and the sink was all dirty. The place had a strange smell like someone had been living in there a long time.

What was that guy doing in there for 15 years in the same apt on the hot side of the building?

Was he making marmalade toast? Deciding his helper needed an extra tip after helping him with his groceries? Did he have a beer now and again after a hellish walk from the MRT?

Edited by DerbyDan

2 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

It is for those who are 35 years younger.

I lived off Soi 22 for years. Every time I returned it felt a little less cheerful.

The guy who lived on the floor above me was in the same apt for 15 years or so and moved out one day. The land lady said he returned to his home country. I said, "what, he was there for 15 years!".

I walked through his unit and the sink was all dirty. The place had a strange smell like someone had been living in there a long time.

What was that guy doing in there for 15 years in the same apt on the hot side of the building?

Was he making marmalade toast? Deciding his helper needed an extra tip after helping him with his groceries? Did he have a beer now and again after a hellish walk from the MRT?

Not really sure what your point is?

BTW, I lived in 5 or 6 condos over a 20 year period in lower Sukhumvit, about 18 months in the one I mentioned off Soi 22.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rott said:

Depends on your definition of cheap and cheerful, I first arrived in the currency crisis of 1997 and never found lower Suk that cheap even then. Pub prices have always been at least on a par with London, hotel prices thankfully much, much lower. 

Cheap can certainly be found in suburban Bangkok and in Pattaya. Depends what you're prepared to spend and what you're prepared to settle for. 

Pattaya is certainly much cheaper. I was in Thailand in '98, but wasn't rich enough to exploit the 90 Baht/£????,

In '85, I remember a night out in Soi Cowboy was 1,000 - 1,500 Baht, all-up, now we'd be looking at 4,000-5,000. An old and wealthy friend used to spend 6,500 Baht on a night out in Cowboy, the cheapness factor just isn't there any more. In '85 happy hour beers were 25 Baht, now more like a 100. Exchange rates in '85 - 40/£ 25/US$. (It was $1 a beer, now $3 a beer).

Edited by Andrew65

Andrew I have generally only ever gone to go-go's on a group night out. Cowboy has never to me been a place for more than a couple of drinks. And unfortunately Bangkok has only ever been a short stay trip, much as I really like the place. 

On Thursday with the upcoming bar closures in mind I had one in TQ in Pattaya. Nice place, good everything but at 155 a small bottle it is unlikely to be a regular call. 

Edited by rott
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rott said:

Andrew I have generally only ever gone to go-go's on a group night out. Cowboy has never to me been a place for more than a couple of drinks. And unfortunately Bangkok has only ever been a short stay trip, much as I really like the place. 

On Thursday with the upcoming bar closures in mind I had one in TQ in Pattaya. Nice place, good everything but at 155 a small bottle it is unlikely to be a regular call. 

For the last 7 or 8 years that I lived in Bangkok, I hardly ever went to Cowboy or Nana, even though they were a 20 minute or so walk away. One thing being, I no longer wanted relationships/sex or whatever. And another thing being, if I'm not looking for that stuff, I don't want to be 'pestered' by people who think that I do.

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Not really sure what your point is?

BTW, I lived in 5 or 6 condos over a 20 year period in lower Sukhumvit, about 18 months in the one I mentioned off Soi 22.

Some people just like staying put and will sit in the same apartment for 15 years, like that guy I mentioned.

I get bored in the same place apartment after a couple years and want to explore new neighborhoods.

Can you try that? How about a nice new apartment in Silom or Chinatown with a new restaurant nearby?

If you leave your place at 70 years old back to your home country after 20 years, do you want the guy downstairs to say to his landlady "what the hell was he doing up there for 20 years!"

Just now, DerbyDan said:

Some people just like staying put and will sit in the same apartment for 15 years, like that guy I mentioned.

I get bored in the same place apartment after a couple years and want to explore new neighborhoods.

Can you try that? How about a nice new apartment in Silom or Chinatown with a new restaurant nearby?

If you leave your place at 70 years old back to your home country after 20 years, do you want the guy downstairs to say to his landlady "what the hell was he doing up there for 20 years!"

I haven't lived in Thailand for almost 3 years now, 56 years old.

Still like Thailand, but don't get a buzz out of it as I used to. Also, many friends have either moved on or died.

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I haven't lived in Thailand for almost 3 years now, 56 years old.

Still like Thailand, but don't get a buzz out of it as I used to. Also, many friends have either moved on or died.

Have you tried going to a full moon party or meeting women in bars & clubs?

If there is still a problem, drinking beer all day and night may work.

Edited by DerbyDan

10 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

Have you tried going to a full moon party or meeting women in bars & clubs?

If there is still a problem, drinking beer all day and night may work.

I don't want to meet anyone for any reason in bars or clubs, or go to parties according to the phases of the Moon!????. One of the reasons I left Thailand is that I didn't want to be drinking too much. As I mentioned before, I spent nearly 20 years in Thailand and decided that the things that I liked doing 20 years previously no longer appealed to me.

I still like Thailand, but I don't get the 'buzz' out of it that I used to.

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I don't want to meet anyone for any reason in bars or clubs, or go to parties according to the phases of the Moon!????. One of the reasons I left Thailand is that I didn't want to be drinking too much. As I mentioned before, I spent nearly 20 years in Thailand and decided that the things that I liked doing 20 years previously no longer appealed to me.

I still like Thailand, but I don't get the 'buzz' out of it that I used to.

If you can't control your addictive impulses then moving back to the safety of the motherland was the right choice for you unless you of course moved back to Australia or Ireland where your drinking is gonna esculate for sure maaaateyy ????

1 minute ago, madmen said:

If you can't control your addictive impulses then moving back to the safety of the motherland was the right choice for you unless you of course moved back to Australia or Ireland where your drinking is gonna esculate for sure maaaateyy ????

Since I moved back I've given up smoking, £1.50 a pack in Thailand was OK, £9 a pack in the UK isn't. Probably saving £3,000 a year by not smoking.

As far as drinking goes, the UK can be just as bad as Ireland or Australia.

(If I ever win the lottery I would come back to live in Thailand, part of why I never stayed there was a fear of running out of money there, anther thing was sheer boredom, nothing to do for 3 years).

• Haha 1