Best ( cheap) White Wine in Thailand

Pilotman

I seem to have settled on 'Knight Black Horse' as the most reasonably cheapish white wine to be found in LOS, but its irritating to pay the equivalent of US$15 for  what is a cheap tasting basic table wine. . Any recommendations out there for a dry white wine under 600 Baht that is actually worth the money?  

Just now, thaiwally said:

Just over your 600Baht.....Brancott Estate (NZ) Sauvignon Blanc 2019 at 650Baht at Villa Market is great value. (790Baht at Tops Market) Rated by"Vivino" as in the top 1% of wines in the world. Not to be confused with Brancott Estate FLIGHT Sauvignon Blanc, which is cheaper, but in my opinion inferior 

Thanks,  will give it a try. 

we were at Wine Pro in Phuket last month.  We saw a New Zealand white wine for under 400B.  Wow!  Looked for the "fruit wine" label and didn't see any.  We quite liked it. We've actually visited the winery in NZ before and like their wines.

After reading the label VERY carefully, we saw fruit wine.  Any way, we were impressed.  I'm a bit of a wine snob, but would not hesitate to buy this again.

Wine Pro delivers anywhere in Thailand.  They have a shop in Phuket, Hua Hin and soon in Pattaya.  On Facebook, just message them and they'll send you the price list.

• Like 2

If you have a Tesco Lotus near you see if they have any left of the Tesco NZ Sauvignon Blanc, similar style to the others mentioned above, that they have been selling off at 399 baht a bottle. 

Barwang The Wall Chardonnay in Makro is ok and from memory less than 500 baht.

• Like 2

In the last few weeks, I have been buying French, Italian and Australian white and red wine for less than B400 from Big C

Its absolutely fine for a table wine!. As it happens, the only example I can quote is the unopened bottle of "Casa Romeo Rosso I have at my elbow right now! B345

Cheers!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

Life is to short to be wasting time drinking cheap wine..!

Sure good wine is expensive but spend it now, you can't take it with you.!

Well that's very true, but its just a tad irritating to know that you are paying way over the odds for a fairly average product, even when paying 1,000 Baht a bottle. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

In the last few weeks, I have been buying French, Italian and Australian white and red wine for less than B400 from Big C

Its absolutely fine for a table wine!. As it happens, the only example I can quote is the unopened bottle of "Casa Romeo Rosso I have at my elbow right now! B345

Cheers!

yes, that's the stuff I have been drinking, but I dream about a nice bottle of Chablis, at a price that won't break the bank, or that will not raise Mrs P's eye brows too much when it drops into the trolley (cart) . 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

yes, that's the stuff I have been drinking, but I dream about a nice bottle of Chablis, at a price that won't break the bank, or that will not raise Mrs P's eye brows too much when it drops into the trolley (cart) . 

Yes, I agree but you said less than B600 so I answer that condition, you said table wine, so I answer that too.

I made wine in England for twenty years. I have drunk good and bad wine in my life. I love my wine.

If I were entertaining guests for dinner I would spend B800 to B1000 for a nice wine.

When drinking what I call "every-day-wine" to complement my food, I buy less expensive wine which is perfectly acceptable for my wife and I.

I make the point also, that as the main chef in my household, I like a glass of wine while I am preparing and cooking!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChrisKC said:

Yes, I agree but you said less than B600 so I answer that condition, you said table wine, so I answer that too.

I made wine in England for twenty years. I have drunk good and bad wine in my life. I love my wine.

If I were entertaining guests for dinner I would spend B800 to B1000 for a nice wine.

When drinking what I call "every-day-wine" to complement my food, I buy less expensive wine which is perfectly acceptable for my wife and I.

I make the point also, that as the main chef in my household, I like a glass of wine while I am preparing and cooking!

I have made my own here too, but I find it almost impossible to get white grape juice. The wine I do make, when I can be bothered, using red grapes, is as good as the 300 to 400 Baht bottles. 

• Like 1

I believe in "balance" in every part of my life. But that balance includes the odd indulgence.

Now, go out and buy yourself a lovely bottle of Chablis and tell your wife you have bought yourself an early Christmas present, which if she plays her cards right, you will share with her.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Well that's very true, but its just a tad irritating to know that you are paying way over the odds for a fairly average product, even when paying 1,000 Baht a bottle.

True, and it's a bit sad so many are out there gouging what they can out of wine sales.!

And to be honest, I personally am not a big drinker, not even regular, but when I do I buy by reputation not price. Eg: Clairette de Die (tradition) maybe Euro 8/bottle, a lovely light summer wine or Gaia Barolo Euro 80/bottle (if your lucky) a nice big bold red.
So for me it's about taste not price.

Unfortunately as Thailand is not a wine producing region and wine drinking is not traditional with Thais, wine has to be imported, and so they know most sales go to Farangs, thus the gouging.!

6 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I have made my own here too, but I find it almost impossible to get white grape juice. The wine I do make, when I can be bothered, using red grapes, is as good as the 300 to 400 Baht bottles. 

It is illegal in Thailand to make wine or beer at home. I discovered this when trying to buy equipment which is nigh impossible.

A few years ago, while my wife was in England I got her to buy a whole pile of stuff unavailable here. I tried to make wine and beer but I was unsuccessful as I couldn't control the temperature (too hot) which meant the yeast died before fermentation got properly underway.

2 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

It is illegal in Thailand to make wine or beer at home. I discovered this when trying to buy equipment which is nigh impossible.

A few years ago, while my wife was in England I got her to buy a whole pile of stuff unavailable here. I tried to make wine and beer but I was unsuccessful as I couldn't control the temperature (too hot) which meant the yeast died before fermentation got properly underway.

I think you will find that is only illegal if you brew to sell.  Home consumption is fine.  I had no issues finding the kit to do the job. 

11 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Chris it is very easy to buy the equipment, there are a few homebrew stores in Bangkok which will ship anything you want, and brewing is easy providing you follow simple guide lines, the biggest downside is the fine, the government changed the law in 2016 from a fine of 200 baht to a fine of 100,000 baht.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I think you will find that is only illegal if you brew to sell.  Home consumption is fine.  I had no issues finding the kit to do the job. 

As recently as 2017, the fine for home brewing was upped from B200 (re edict 1950) to B10,000) but if selling, the fine would be too much to bear.

This seems to imply that home brewing of any persuasion is not allowed. I cannot find anything definitive as it relates to what my case would be which is:

To brew my own beer for my own consumption and share for free with my friends and visitors.

• Like 1

As recently as 2017, the fine for home brewing was upped from B200 (re edict 1950) to B10,000) but if selling, the fine would be too much to bear.

This seems to imply that home brewing of any persuasion is not allowed. I cannot find anything definitive as it relates to what my case would be which is:

To brew my own beer for my own consumption and share for free with my friends and visitors.

I will pm you, I can show you the details, unfortunately I have it from the newspaper we are not allowed to quote on here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

It can be hard to find, but Tops and Villa do stock Ceres white grape juice sometimes which is fine. The malee stuff is a definite no no. 

Sometimes when I come to Thailand I'll bring 10 litres of juice with me.