Why are wines produced in Thailand so expensive?

Why are wines made in Thailand so expensive?

I would expect that they are cheaper than imported wines.

Some of the local wines are decent. Had a couple of weekends in recent times visiting the Khao Yai vineyards and drinking their wines which were very good, and if they were a lot cheaper and readily available I'd buy them often. 

So why exactly are local wines so expensive? 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, arick said:

Please send me a sample of this ok wine from Thailand quickly and I will send you my vomit 

Not all Thai wines are decent for sure.

I've tried the white wines at HH, Pattaya and Khao Yai. Wasn't impressed by the wines from Silverlake. PBs wines were decent, but we REALLY enjoyed this one from Gran Monte

Screenshot_20210321-130916_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 3:09 PM, damascase said:

It is a simple matter of taxation, Both imported and locally produced whines are subject to the same extremely high excise duty.

But, if so, which in understandable, why are Thai wines more expensive than some imported ones? Other than that, don't you think that in order to encourage consumption of local wine, as opposed to imported one, which would assist local industries, not only the actual wineries, the tax on local wine should be considerably reduced?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, damascase said:

I now see my typing error - why do I always spot them immediately in other people’s text and not in my own, I wonder????????

Hard to say. I had to reread yours and 2530Ubon's post 3 times before I saw your first error. Maybe send your comments to 2530 for proofing first, he's got a good eye. ????

A complement!!! WOW

43 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

But, if so, which in understandable, why are Thai wines more expensive than some imported ones? Other than that, don't you think that in order to encourage consumption of local wine, as opposed to imported one, which would assist local industries, not only the actual wineries, the tax on local wine should be considerably reduced?

Probably because say Australian wines are produced more efficiently and are better than Thai wines ,local couldn’t compete. Trade agreements with Australia probably prevent them having import duties imposed so they dampen demand with excise duty on 'wine' . Without it much more wine would be drunk ...and it wouldn’t be Thai wine!

49 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is a bit like an ignorant hi-so guy paying 15,000,000 baht for a Porsche 911 here, that cost $120,000 in the US.

Or an ignorant Californian paying 10 bucks for coconut water... same same, but different .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

They need an educated finance minister, who understands basic economics.

Are you implying that the current finance minister's masters in economics from a U.S. university as being undereducated?

2 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

why are Thai wines more expensive than some imported ones?

I guess that really was my question (not why they are so expensive but why are so more expensive than imported wines). The government should be backing the local wine producers, local coffee and tea producers, etc, to allow them to not only compete with imports but be more appealing costwise.

13 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Are you implying that the current finance minister's masters in economics from a U.S. university as being undereducated?

Well, there is an education that pays off, and then there is one that goes entirely to waste. Anutin, Pipat, Prayuth, and Tantivorawong are in so far over their heads. None of them would be up for the task of what they are responsible for doing under normal circumstances. With the kind of emergency they are facing, they are so far beyond their capabilities. It is apparent everywhere we look.  

It would be in the best interests of the nation for the entire administration to admit they have failed miserable, and resign in disgrace. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Rich man's drink, mostly falangs ⇒ tax tax tax.

Years back they used to say Thais wouldn't eat pizza, wouldn't drink milk, but they do. 

Years back you couldn't find a place to buy coffee beans or a coffee and look how that exploded. 

Wine in many countries isn't expensive or a rich man's drink. Subsidise the local wine growing industry and loads more Thais would be drinking it.

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Not all Thai wines are decent for sure.

I've tried the white wines at HH, Pattaya and Khao Yai. Wasn't impressed by the wines from Silverlake. PBs wines were decent, but we REALLY enjoyed this one from Gran Monte

Screenshot_20210321-130916_Chrome.jpg

do you still have battery left?

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Years back they used to say Thais wouldn't eat pizza, wouldn't drink milk, but they do. 

Years back you couldn't find a place to buy coffee beans or a coffee and look how that exploded. 

Wine in many countries isn't expensive or a rich man's drink. Subsidise the local wine growing industry and loads more Thais would be drinking it.

Millions of Thais would be drinking wine, if it was decent, and well priced. As it currently stands, Thai wine is absolutely awful, and expensive. Not an attractive combination to anyone. And with import wines priced so ridiculously, few drink them. It is a lose, lose scenario for everyone, that only a spectacularly incompetent, corrupt, and hugely non-visionary government could impose, and it is equally dumb and regressive, for each subsequent administration to retain. 

• Like 1

Look at the names behind Thai vineyards.  When it's Singha, Chang, CP or the like, Thai wines will become affordable.  Until they get their hooks into the wine market, the taxes will be horrendous.  They'd rather have you drinking their beers.