Thailand and Iran celebrate 400 years of relationship

webfact

410a0c483a8746fb7cbce742aacb94ee_small.jpg

By Panod Srisinsuphya

BANGKOK (NNT) - On March 20th, Thailand and Iran celebrated 400 years of relations, approaching Iranian New Year-Nowruz and Songkran.

Ambassador of Iran to Thailand, Seyed Reza Nobakhti, and Thailand’s Vice Minister of Culture, Poramase Ngampichese, jointly presided over the ceremony to celebrate 400 years of relations between the two countries, as well as the opening of a two-day Nowruz-Songkran Event, being held at the Emquartier Shopping Mall in Bangkok, to promote cultural exchange between the two countries.

“We are gathering here to celebrate our Iranian Nowruz and Songkran celebration and, at the same time, to celebrate the 400 years of relations between Iran and Thailand,” said H.E. Nobakhti.

The Nowruz festival, which is marked annually on the 20th or 21st of March, is similar to Thai Songkran as both represent the new year, where merit-making, visiting the elderly and seeking of blessings are the primary focus of the festivals.

With a photo gallery as part of the event, Poramase said “for the Thai side we have brought images of the Songkran celebration in various provinces, while the Iranian side brought pictures which reflect their daily lives.”

The general public is welcome to visit the event, to learn more about the festival, as well as indulge in Iranian cuisine and to shop for souvenirs. The event runs until March 21st.

The Iranian-Thai relationship has seen the presence of Iranians in Siam as merchants, traders and government officers serving the Kingdom of Ayutthaya.

While diplomatic relations between the two commenced in 1682, when the Siamese delegation from the Kingdom of Ayutthaya set off to Iran, as appointed by King Narai the Great. Then, in 1685, the first Iranian delegation was sent to Siam by Shah Sulayman of the Safavid Dynasty.

nnt.jpg
  • Thanks 1

It was a commercial exercise by EmQuartier - as far as I can see. Iran and Thailand celebrate something which started off as Persia and Siam. 
I just admire the fact, that being Ambassador to either country from the other country must have been a real chocolate assignment; no internet, mail, telex, cable - nothing. Once in a blue moon a ship sailing from A to B or vice versa. None of them, most likely, died of too much work in their diplomatic assignment. 

this might not be of interest to some, but this is a blatant propaganda lie to promote  china as the longer connection with this land, which is horse manure, recently they had 800 years of china thai relations exhibition,

A fact,quite some years ago i went to dusit where they had an thai-iranian exhibition celebrating 900 years of connections, handing our brochures  and books printed by historians from thai and iran commisioned by the r.household and iranian embassy, no need to spell out the r in front of household, we all know, even that is forgetting the older connections of pre-lavo kingdoms of vedic, which is why this land speaks sanskrit, pali and not mandarin, and why budhism and all the major cultural/ceremonies  are vedic, next the fake chinese culture celebrates chinese new year, lets remind them it came to china originally from Egypt via babylon and persia

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I love who Thailand chooses as its valued mates; China, Iran, Myanmar; what a bunch of crooks and terrorists.  

there is a method behind the madnes:

image.jpeg.6a362b94cad6399c5e52ecb85db63def.jpeg 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I love who Thailand chooses as its valued mates; China, Iran, Myanmar; what a bunch of crooks and terrorists.  

Think you have missed the point, it has absolutely nothing to do with today's politics, it's about a long association between countries, nothing more, nothing less. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Who would  you suggest Thailand choose, 

as its valued mates .. ?

• Confused 2

33 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Think you have missed the point, it has absolutely nothing to do with today's politics, it's about a long association between countries, nothing more, nothing less. 

and you are missing the point, that history is no indication of present worth and value in any relationship. It's what they are now that matters not what they were. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Not to be left out, Thailand enjoys similar values with the most influential crooked and terrorist states - US, UK, etc.....

• Thanks 1

Happy to see Thailand and Iran have patched things up since that unfortunate 14 February 2012 terrorist bombing in Bangkok which injured 5 people including one of the iranian nationals who was attempting to assassinate Israeli diplomats.

BTW They did release the three Iranians jailed for that terror attack last November***. Good to see forgiveness, happiness and reconciliation reigns. It gives me a warm and Fuzzy feeling, drinking my Tuesday morning coffee.  

*** Thai officials said NO, this release was NOT a swap for British Australian academic Kylie Moore-Gilbert who the Iranians had in prison for doing academic like things. That said Iranian officials stated she was released in a deal for three incarcerated Iranians held by another country. (The three uber drivers in Lyndhurst NJ?!) 

20 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Fascinating country Iran, with a rich history. 

Great people too. Very outward looking and amazingly friendly to outsiders. 

Links ...

On 3/22/2021 at 1:08 PM, trainman34014 said:

Shame after all these years they are both Dictatorships !

Who ever owns the Military .

Has ultimate control .

Democracy ,  my <deleted> ..

Nothing new ..

Will the celebrations include the public execution of gay Thai teenagers? Or maybe the public can be treated to the public flogging of a woman who has been raped because she "seduced" her rapist. The Ayotollahs of Iran consider the state sponsored religion of Thailand to be illegitimate and not worthy of recognition.  Buddhists are not even considered to be dhimmi, the discriminatory status given to Christians and Jews. If a Thai Buddhist wished to pray in Iran it would be an illegal act sanctioned and subject to blasphemy penalty. 

Iran is a pariah state that has been a long term ally of the Taliban. Iran did not condemn the destruction of the Buddhist icons of Afghanistan.  Iran engages in state sanctioned terrorism, extortion and criminal hacking. There is nothing to praise or celebrate.

19 hours ago, bermondburi said:

I can't link my memories buddy.

Your memories are from pre 1976. In the 45 years since,  multiple generations of Iranians have arrived. The previous enlightened people, the educated, have either died, been murdered or fled to other countries. The country you remember and celebrate does not exist. It died  40+ years ago. Your memories are not relevant because we live in the present, and not the past. iran will not return to civil society until the current generation of inbred religious fanatics who control the country is dead.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Will the celebrations include the public execution of gay Thai teenagers? Or maybe the public can be treated to the public flogging of a woman who has been raped because she "seduced" her rapist. The Ayotollahs of Iran consider the state sponsored religion of Thailand to be illegitimate and not worthy of recognition.  Buddhists are not even considered to be dhimmi, the discriminatory status given to Christians and Jews. If a Thai Buddhist wished to pray in Iran it would be an illegal act sanctioned and subject to blasphemy penalty. 

Iran is a pariah state that has been a long term ally of the Taliban. Iran did not condemn the destruction of the Buddhist icons of Afghanistan.  Iran engages in state sanctioned terrorism, extortion and criminal hacking. There is nothing to praise or celebrate.

Your memories are from pre 1976. In the 45 years since,  multiple generations of Iranians have arrived. The previous enlightened people, the educated, have either died, been murdered or fled to other countries. The country you remember and celebrate does not exist. It died  40+ years ago. Your memories are not relevant because we live in the present, and not the past. iran will not return to civil society until the current generation of inbred religious fanatics who control the country is dead.

You're making a lot of assumptions there. Travel to Iran didn't stop in 1979. 

9 hours ago, bermondburi said:

You're making a lot of assumptions there. Travel to Iran didn't stop in 1979. 

Travel stopped for those with respect for human rights and integrity. Yes, I am aware of travel that some people make to Iran. Taliban and other terrorists make many visits to Iran. Travel has been discouraged by multiple international sanctions over the past few decades. Maybe the Iranian state sanctioned murder of 176 people on board Ukrainian aircraft in 2020 will discourage visits.  Since that  criminal act, Iran has refused to allow a proper investigation. On that basis alone, it is reprehensible that Thailand break international convention and celebrate Iran.

I think it is wrong that Thailand celebrate link to a country which preaches and encourages the death of Buddhists. Thai government gets upset when some stupid westerners without intent of evil in the heart, pose with statue of Buddha, but Thai government has no problem with the  promotion of relations with a country which encourages harm to Buddhists.