Driving test in Bangkok

OzMan

Later this week I plan to change my car drivers license from Australian to Thai. Plus I want to get a motorcycle license, which I do not have on my Australian license. I believe I need to complete a driving test at the Land Transport Office. Do I need to bring my own car and motor cycle? How is the test conducted?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OzMan said:

Later this week I plan to change my car drivers license from Australian to Thai.

Converting from a valid Australian to Thai DL should be possible without theory and driving test. "Only" paperwork plus physical tests (reaction, eyesight).

Plus I want to get a motorcycle license,

For this you will need to do theory and driving test.

The driving test is a laughing matter, circling on the yard on kind of a traffic kindergarten.

You need to bring a motorcycle (scooter). Whether there is a rental opportunity at your office? Can't tell.

You will need two separate visits/appointments.

"Later this week" sounds ambitious.

Some offices insist on appointments and particularly for the full theory/driving test the queue might be long.

That was a very rough summary without the details.

A lot of info is found in the motor forum where this thread should be (not much Bangkok specifics except location/appointments).

https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/78-thailand-motor-discussion/

Edited by KhunBENQ

18 hours ago, OzMan said:

How is the test conducted?

The theory test (multiple choice on a computer) seems to have become more difficult recently. At my time it was 50 questions out of a set of only 90 questions in English, 45 must be correct.

Some posts say there is a much wider variety of questions now.

Edited by KhunBENQ

You will just need your current license from your home country, a COR, a copy of your passport, a medical certificate and the application.  I have included one in English as well as Thai for you.

Application_For_Driving_License_English.pdfApplication_For_Driving_License_Blank.pdf

As far as testing for driving, you should only have to do the Physical tests and then watch the video.  You may get lucky for the motorcycle license and the person processing it may not make you go do the drive test outside for the MC.  Definitely should not have to complete the drive test for the car if your license from your home country is current or slightly expired.

Your licenses should be for a two year period and say Temporary after the license type.

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Not sure ......do you need an international driving license? I am pretty sure I did.

I needed an IDP in 2011 as my home country DL was not in English.

Can't tell for sure whether Australian DL is accepted.

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am from the UK....so if it was required I imagine he will need one still.......I remember panicking and making sure I had it with me before I came over.......not sure if you can obtain one from abroad???

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Do not require an IDL if have current Aus. Licence, I did mine in January without. Other paperwork as indicated above is required.

• Like 1

Since I am not an experienced motor cycle river, and do not want to drive in Bangkok, it is probably better to take the test in Pattaya or Ayutthaya, where roads are not so congested and motor scooters are available for rent. Otherwise use am motor scooter test school in Bangkok.

I am trying to figure out the process? I complete a form and assemble documents, I personally take them to a Land Transport Office, without making a prior reservation, and hand in the documents. They will then give me a date to attend for the test. Is this correct?

2 hours ago, OzMan said:

I am trying to figure out the process? I complete a form and assemble documents, I personally take them to a Land Transport Office, without making a prior reservation, and hand in the documents. They will then give me a date to attend for the test. Is this correct?

That appears to be the way they do it now

If you try and make an appointment on the DLT app, you will need to register first and will need a 13 digit ID number that comes from either a Thai ID or Pink Non Immigrant ID card.  You can try with your passport but several have tried before with no joy.  Even when you can register, the appointments are out many months and can only be done on certain days.  Best to make sure you have all the documents needed and show up early before they open and then get in que.  Either that or there are Agents that will assist you with this endeavor as well.  Good luck.

Here is a post I did on my experience last year

Edited by ThailandRyan

NEW QUESTION:

Apologies for he capital letters, I don't want to open up a new thread when this one is so recent.

I have lived in Thailand for 30 years but never bothered to get a Thai driving license... Lazy, I know. Well, I need one now. I got a motorcycle license from Chatuchak in September 2020. No waiting time, just came at 7:30 and was ready at 11:00. I plan to get a Thai car license on Monday 29-March.

Do I have to book now? Or can I just show up at 7 AM?

Thanks guys

Edited by MikeyIdea

20 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

NEW QUESTION:

Apologies for he capital letters, I don't want to open up a new thread when this one is so recent.

I have lived in Thailand for 30 years but never bothered to get a Thai driving license... Lazy, I know. Well, I need one now. I got a motorcycle license from Chatuchak in September 2020. No waiting time, just came at 7:30 and was ready at 11:00. I plan to get a Thai car license on Monday 29-March.

Do I have to book now? Or can I just show up at 7 AM?

Thanks guys

Ensure you have all the needed paperwork and just show up and que.  Read the post I did above yours with my earlier referenced post on my trip to Chatuchak DLT.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ensure you have all the needed paperwork and just show up and que.  Read the post I did above yours with my earlier referenced post on my trip to Chatuchak DLT.

Yes, should work fine, I also took my bike license in September and they told me that foreigners couldn't even book. 

I just wanted to check if anyone heard anything more recent before I take a day off from work.

4 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Yes, should work fine, I also took my bike license in September and they told me that foreigners couldn't even book. 

I just wanted to check if anyone heard anything more recent before I take a day off from work.

I do understand.  

• Like 1

Just called 1584, had to wait surprisingly long, 5 minutes ???? Would have been 5 to 10 times as long in Europe.

Stll the same. Westerners cannot book, just go there with all documents ready (2 copies), no vehicle needed if you have an international license. I asked 6:30 - 7 o'clock? and she answered - Yes, that'll be good. I'll be there just before 7 I think.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OzMan said:

Since I am not an experienced motor cycle river, and do not want to drive in Bangkok, it is probably better to take the test in Pattaya or Ayutthaya, where roads are not so congested and motor scooters are available for rent. Otherwise use am motor scooter test school in Bangkok.

Easiest is a driver school and sit through the classes. In the last year I had my son and daughter do the car and then the other a motorcycle. Guaranteed to pass. Well at least here in CM. Although my daughter did say they failed a couple of Chinese for the motorcycles but then gave extra chances. For me, my DL test and hands on test I took in BKK over 20+ years ago. I was pushed through. After years here in CM for car/truck I had to do it all over as I had let all expire into the sunset. No problem. The written is the hardest as it is written a way we don't think. Driving test is easy. But that day I did see a mountain gent fail the driving. So he just was sad and drove back home to the mountains to eventually do it again.

Motorcycle I did with my son a few years ago. so I was always for 20+ years driving illegally. Piece of cake. But you need to be aware that you better be at least ok on a bike or you might have to do the driving twice if at the DMV. Now schools are a totally different story. I have ridden in BKK. You better be good. Driving is the same but you have steel surrounding you in a car. School and you will be fine. BTW. BKK drivers can be very volatile and confrontational if you did a booboo while driving. Put a new driver sticker on your car.

Edited by holy cow cm

Hi, if I did stay the next winter in Thailand ( maybe Phuket) I’d like to rent a car for a few months, so would I need to do a driving test, and is it difficult. ( been driving 50 yrs) . Thanks, sorry for hijacking the post !

24 minutes ago, geisha said:

Hi, if I did stay the next winter in Thailand ( maybe Phuket) I’d like to rent a car for a few months, so would I need to do a driving test, and is it difficult. ( been driving 50 yrs) . Thanks, sorry for hijacking the post !

Your home licence is good for a period (6 months IIRC) you may need an IDP (International Driving Permit) depending upon your home country.

With a valid foreign licence you won't need to do the driving test should you decide to get a local licence. 

27 minutes ago, geisha said:

If you are only staying a couple of months you can use your home country license and an international driving permit, no need too get a Thai license.

I you want a Thai license, you present your home license and there is no driving test

This morning I tried to convert my Australian licence to a Thai licence, but failed the eye test where I needed to align two vertical rods. Any tips on how to pass will be appreciated. I need to return tomorrow to retest.

15 minutes ago, OzMan said:

This morning I tried to convert my Australian licence to a Thai licence, but failed the eye test where I needed to align two vertical rods. Any tips on how to pass will be appreciated. I need to return tomorrow to retest.

Wow, that's a hard one as it is a depth perception issue.  Do you wear glasses?  When was the last time you had your vision checked.  If you passed the test where they wave a flag off to the side of your head then your depth perception is off.  Not sure how to help with that.

Edited by ThailandRyan

One page on the Web said the trick is to look at the shadow from the lit-up rod onto the unlit rod. Try to work out the shadow, or light, of one onto the other. The tester allowed me to re-enter the queue for testing four times and failed each time, a Thai guy in front of me got kicked out first time.

7 minutes ago, OzMan said:

One page on the Web said the trick is to look at the shadow from the lit-up rod onto the unlit rod. Try to work out the shadow, or light, of one onto the other. The tester allowed me to re-enter the queue for testing four times and failed each time, a Thai guy in front of me got kicked out first time.

First time ( 2016 ) I also failed this but the tester showed me how far off I was through the door on the side and let me try again , this time was a lot easier and I passed.

Next time ( 2 to 5 years ) in the line for the depth perception test the old lady behind me nudged me , nodded towards the test equipment and said “ look at the shadow “. The shadow on the open door clearly showed where the position was for a pass and for a fail !!

Obviously not wanting to cheat I didn’t take her advice and passed on my own merit !!

WARNING: Sarcasm may have been used in this post !!, or was it !! ????

16 hours ago, OzMan said:

Aww <deleted>, thats also the only test im a bit nervous about.

When i did it last time i had to do it 2x as the first one was "not same" according to the tester, but the second try was good (just could do it right away a second time).

Let us know if you are good tomorrow (maybe try the shadow trick).

Where do you do your DL, Bkk (Mo Chit, Bang Chak)?

Retook the test this morning and passed in 5 seconds. Only asked to make one attempt. I was in by 7:55, and the tester just wanted me out of there. No multiple attempts asked for. Try once and passed. Same for side vision test. Looking at shadows helped, but buying glasses would help more. From other posts  I could see coloured dots on door on left, and moving shadow on them. But bad eyesight stopped me taking full advantage of this. Tried at Mo Chit. Staff very helpful yesterday, gave me a lot of coaching and allowed multiple tries.

• Thanks 1