Shooting erupts at Colorado supermarket, bloodied man shown in handcuffs

webfact

18 minutes ago, polpott said:

I had a friend in the UK who was an avid pistol shooter. He went to the local range and took part in competitions a couple of times per week. He claimed that the level of concentration required brought him an inner calm, similar to meditating. When the UK beefed up its gun laws (all hand guns were forbidden) he had to give up his hobby. He was gutted and a year later he died of a heart attack. He accepted that the change in the law was for the greater good. These are the breaks when you live in a civilized society. Something that Americans and particularly Trump supporters have difficulty with. Me, me, me all the way USA!

Me, me, me? I don't own any firearms.

7 hours ago, heybruce said:

An assault rifle is a high capacity weapon firing a round designed for combat use that has no legitimate civilian use.

You keep telling that lie over and over. The only people that believe it are already on your side. 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, heybruce said:

It was not the Wikipedia site that had the error.

You are lying again. If you expect to have any credibility you need to start being truthful.  Wikipedia had the same error as the the site you linked to, and I told you it did in response to YOUR post when I said:

I used Wikipedia, and it matched your source .

Gun violence in the United States by state - Wikipedia

You are deflecting. I said noting of gun laws, I was talking about gun homicides rates compared to gun ownership rates.  What I said was: 

New Jersey is interesting, their firearm ownership ship rates are about a forth of the ownership rate in Idaho, yet their firearm homicide rate is double. 

Washington DC's gun ownership rate is less than half that of Idaho, yet the gun homicide rate is twelve times as high. 

Sure, you can find states with low ownership rates and low homicide rates, and states with high ownership rates and high homicide rates, but that is certainly not the rule. California has a much lower ownership rate than Texas, yet their gun homicide rates are the same.

Remember now? 

hawaii.JPG.f3e1d7cc21eb1c082c8ffbf1621a5c3d.JPG

Gun violence in the United States by state - Wikipedia

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

That's not a lie.  Why do you say that?

Because as has been explained a number of times, many people do use them for hunting, plinking and target shooting. 

I believe there are about ten million ARs in the US. Do you think everyone that buys them are just storing them in unlocked cars in the event that sometime in the future they want to commit a mass shooting?

Are they the best weapon for hunting, plinking or target shooting? No. Could something else be used for hunting, plinking or target shooting? Yes. They are popular because they are fun to shoot. You don't want one, you're afraid of them and you don't want anyone else to have them, I understand that,  I just don't agree with it. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The left did do something 11 years ago, Obama places restrictions on people with mental illness buying guns.

Trump thought it a good idea that mentally ill people have guns and signed a bill to remove the Obama era restrictions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

Per your link Trump signed a bill that Nancy Pelosi put through the House.

You're too funny. 

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Because as has been explained a number of times, many people do use them for hunting, plinking and target shooting. 

I believe there are about ten million ARs in the US. Do you think everyone that buys them are just storing them in unlocked cars in the event that sometime in the future they want to commit a mass shooting?

Are they the best weapon for hunting, plinking or target shooting? No. Could something else be used for hunting, plinking or target shooting? Yes. They are popular because they are fun to shoot. You don't want one, you're afraid of them and you don't want anyone else to have them, I understand that,  I just don't agree with it.

Many people drive a screw in with a hammer.  Doesn't mean it's a good use of the tool.  Plinking with an AR?  Is that really necessary?  Answer: no.  Especially if it saves lives.  Sad you are sooooo against that.  And you don't even own a gun.  Jeez....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Per your link Trump signed a bill that Nancy Pelosi put through the House.

You're too funny. 

Don't post misinformation.  It had nothing to do with Pelosi.  And he revoked that bill.  Didn't sign it.  Terrible president.

From that article:

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Leftist?  Bad ASSumption.  I was a member of the NRA at age 5.  Went through all their hunter safety courses.  And pretty much guaranteed, have shot more animals and different types of guns than you have.

What's this got to do with rich vs. poor?  Doesn't make sense.

Hilarious. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

Don't post misinformation.  It had nothing to do with Pelosi.  And he revoked that bill.  Didn't sign it.  Terrible president.

From that article:

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Another "don't call me a" leftist playing fast and loose with the truth. How did Trump sign a bill that Pelosi dis not put through the House?  

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Another "don't call me a" leftist playing fast and loose with the truth. How did Trump sign a bill that Pelosi dis not put through the House?  

Umm....she didn't become speaker until 2019.  She lost that position in 2011.

25 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Many people drive a screw in with a hammer.  Doesn't mean it's a good use of the tool.  Plinking with an AR?  Is that really necessary?  Answer: no.  Especially if it saves lives.  Sad you are sooooo against that.  And you don't even own a gun.  Jeez....

But the left is not trying to ban hammers yet, of course once all the guns are gone and the killing doesn't stop they'll be after those as well...Hammers will be only for licensed carpenters in good standing with the party...

No, I do not own a firearm now, but I would if I were living in the US. I did own a few when I was a kid, but I was never much of a shot. I went to high school in SoCal. The school had a rifle team and kids could qualify with a .22 and the M1. They put sandbags at the end of the hallway to set up a range for the .22s. You had to go to a real range to qualify with an M1.

You could also take the NRS Safe Hunter test at school. I still have the patch. 

We could save at least 1,000 live a year by reducing the speed limit in the US by five miles an hour, why don't we do that?

Edited by Yellowtail
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Umm....she didn't become speaker until 2019.  She lost that position in 2011.

You are correct, I was wrong, my apologies.  

Edited by Yellowtail
  • Like 1

Some one who is in denial is not ready to receive treatment.

Many US citizens can not imagine life without guns,for many different reasons.

It will take an all out mass shooting(civil war type)before the the USA will get serious about gun ownership.imo.

There are so many arguments from either side that it is very hard to draw lines and unfortunately a lot more innocent people will have to die before true common sense prevails.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

But the left is not trying to ban hammers yet, of course once all the guns are gone and the killing doesn't stop they'll be after those as well...Hammers will be only for licensed carpenters in good standing with the party...

No, I do not own a firearm now, but I would if I were living in the US. I did own a few when I was a kid, but I was never much of a shot. I went to high school in SoCal. The school had a rifle team and kids could qualify with a .22 and the M1. They put sandbags at the end of the hallway to set up a range for the .22s. You had to go to a real range to qualify with an M1.

You could also take the NRS Safe Hunter test at school. I still have the patch. 

We could save at least 1,000 live a year by reducing the speed limit in the US by five miles an hour, why don't we do that?

You really need to stop bashing the left.  Makes you look foolish and TBH, I stop reading your comments right there.  The "left" is a vast majority of Americans who are tired of the killings.  Time for the insanity to stop. 

Why deflect to cars? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

You really need to stop bashing the left.  Makes you look foolish and TBH, I stop reading your comments right there.  The "left" is a vast majority of Americans who are tired of the killings.  Time for the insanity to stop. 

Why deflect to cars? 

I'm sorry about the left bashing. I don't think you really read my comments anyway. The vast majority of Americans are not leftists, and you actually seemed insulted when I called you one. I think it safe to say the most all Americans left and right are tired of the killings and want them to stop. 

The right just disagrees with the left about what is causing all the deaths. 

Calling my question (or me calling your questions) deflection  is just a way or dodging questions we can't or don't want to answer.

Why do we care about the lives of people killed in mass shootings, and not care about the lives of people killed in automobile accidents? Again, we could save a lot of lives by reducing the speed limit but we do not, why?

The reason there are so many guns in America is because of the way American society was constructed from the beginning. The whole nation has always been a multicultural experiment. No surprise that its failures are as great as its successes.

The last word on the topic is: put up with the mess or change the demographics of the nation.

10 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

One of my first things to do upon arrival in the US is to buy some guns. Couple of handguns, a few shotguns and a couple rifles. 

I think no one here is really is really disappointed in you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Common sense would prevail if we got money out of politics.  Stop the NRA donating millions to GOP politicians.  That's what's making things difficult.

I agree, I think neither the NRA nor Mark Zuckerberg nor the Koch Brothers not Jeff Bezos  nor anyone should be able to donate more than $100 per year. 

13 hours ago, Thomas J said:

1. All Automatic firearms are banned.  Only available to the military or law enforcement.  You have to have a special federal license to procure automatic firearms and those are given to dealers who sell the law enforcement.  Semi-Automatic one shot one pull of the trigger is one of the most common firearms both rifle, pistol, and shotgun.  You would effectively be banning a huge proportion of the guns 

Correct.

2. All guns are registered.  See LInk  This is required of every firearm sold.  So now back to you.  How does "knowing" who owns each firearm prevent someone using it to kill someone else.

It doesn't and neither does a car registry prevent people from driving drunk but it it's a proof of ownership, which has obvious advantages.

3.  What would be involved in getting a "federal license"  We already have a mandatory FBI background check required for each and every firearm purchased. 

That is not correct:
"For private sales, any person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of the same state as long as they do not know or do not have reasonable cause to believe the purchaser is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law.[3][4][5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_show_loophole

See Attached Link. So I have my guns and they are in storage and I now want to use them instead to kill someone.  I go to storage tell them I am going to the shooting range or hunting and instead go on a shooting rampage.  How did that stop anything?
It doesn't but it will prevent kids and thieves from getting easy access to them. 

4. As mentioned we already have a mandatory background check.  As for the "waiting period" that was intended to stop killings that were spur of the moment and not planned out.  So I wait the month, get my firearm and then go on my killing spree.  How did that stop anything.

Now you're being purposefully disingenuous. There is now way to find out how many lives have been spared by having a waiting period and you know it.

Nothing will stop someone who plans months in advance but the vast majority of mass shootings do not seem to be carefully planned events.

5. I agree. Now you are punishing the person who misused the gun. 
6. I agree anyone who "unlawfully" owns a firearm such as a convicted felon should be sent to prison.  Again, now we are on the same page.  You are punishing those who misuse. 

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4473-part-1-firearms-transaction-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/national-instant-criminal-background-check-system-nics

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Can you pass the FBI background test?

NRA-ILA | Citizen's Guide To Federal Firearms Laws - Summary

from the same source:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20210315/victory-in-colorado-preemption-case

"On Friday evening, a judge in the Centennial state gave law-abiding gun owners something to celebrate. He ruled that the city of Boulder’s ban on possessing and transferring commonly-possessed “assault weapons” and ten-round magazines was preempted by state law and struck them down. This was an NRA-ILA supported case."

Only in America. Insane.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1