Modem-Router Combo suitable for fiber connection

harrythai

After hours of searching the internet, I am now trying to find a clear and unambiguous answer to my question here: I have a fiber optic internet connection here in my house and a modem (Zyxel) and a router (TP-Link) connected to it. I would like to replace the devices with more powerful and modern ones and have thought of a modem-router combination that is suitable for fiber optic connection, i.e. two devices in one. I would prefer TP-Link, because my Internet provider also works with it and offers the setup for free.

Can anyone give me advice on suitable devices? My budget is about 2 - 3000 baht.

Thanks already for your help!

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

I think there are hardly any routers with integrated fiber modem. Just use the modem which you have already, then you can use nearly every router.

What exactly do you wish to achieve? Faster wifi?

Thanks for your assessment Jack. My answer to your question, what I expect from the planned upgrade, is faster upload and download rates, via Ethernet and WiFi.

Just now, harrythai said:

Thanks for your assessment Jack. My answer to your question, what I expect from the planned upgrade, is faster upload and download rates, via Ethernet and WiFi.

... and more free space on my desk ????

You can't use a third party modem without permission of the ISP, because your connection is locked to the MAC address of the modem.

Even if they would permit. it most likely would not work.

For example, 3BB use Fibrehome in some areas, and Huawei in other areas, and they are not interchangeable.

Edited by Susco

9 minutes ago, harrythai said:

what I expect from the planned upgrade, is faster upload and download rates, via Ethernet and WiFi.

You won't get higher upload and download rates via ethernet.

Via Wifi you might get faster speeds, but if speed is important I recommend to use a cable anyway.

Which ISP? What is the service speeds?

Does the Zyxel unit terminate the FO? 

The Zyxel unit has one ethernet port? Connected to the TPLink unit?

Are you exepriencing any problems? Are these problems new?

Do your WiFi devices (laptop, phone, TV, etc.) support 5 GHz WLAN?

Can you provide the Zyxel and TP-Link model numbers?

We need details in order to formulate recommendations. You can never provide too much information.

My biggest questions: do the Zyxel and TP-Link units support GBe? Are you using a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable(s)?

The ISP might give you a new ONU + router for free, especially if you express an interest in a more expensive package, or mention you are considering switching to ISP nnn.

12 hours ago, Susco said:

You can't use a third party modem without permission of the ISP, because your connection is locked to the MAC address of the modem.

Even if they would permit. it most likely would not work.

For example, 3BB use Fibrehome in some areas, and Huawei in other areas, and they are not interchangeable.

Thanks for your hint! Interesting your objection, but the provider nodded off my plans and agreed to help with the installation. But that's just the way it is here, there are again so many divergent opinions that ultimately only one thing remains: Just do it to learn more!

13 hours ago, harrythai said:

A decent router will give more effective routing - your speed it dictated by your ISP. A better, more powerful router may have more RAM and will have less bottlenecks and better utilize the connection.

The reasons I wouldn’t use an ISP supplied router is that after experimenting, it couldn’t handle the number of wifi connections from smart home devices - my WiFi would just tip over. A decent router will allow you to manage the network a lot better, with regard to ad blocking, firewall, port forwarding.and connected clients.

You may have equipment that utilize wifi6 or MU-MIMO, but I gather 3BB offer a WiFi6 router,

As other posters say, you can’t use your own GPON-ONU combo. What’s your ISP? Someone posted that AIS provide a GPON box, which is a box the size of a pack of cigarettes, that will clear your desk. To explain simply converts the fiber signal to Ethernet, then you take that signal to your own router. That will clear some space on your desk.

If you just want a WiFi signal to connect a few mobile devices to, the WiFi is good enough for your house, you  are ok with couple of Ethernet ports on your desk, you don’t need to tinker with the settings - just ask the ISP to update your router to the “best” they have available. 

Edited by recom273

12 minutes ago, harrythai said:

Thanks for your hint! Interesting your objection, but the provider nodded off my plans and agreed to help with the installation. But that's just the way it is here, there are again so many divergent opinions that ultimately only one thing remains: Just do it to learn more!

Take note, my remark was in regard to the modem part, router always can be changed.

Did they confirm they would help with adding a new modem?

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

A decent router will give more effective routing - your speed it dictated by your ISP. A better, more powerful router may have more RAM and will have less bottlenecks and better utilize the connection.

The reasons I wouldn’t use an ISP supplied router is that after experimenting, it couldn’t handle the number of wifi connections from smart home devices - my WiFi would just tip over. A decent router will allow you to manage the network a lot better, with regard to ad blocking, firewall, port forwarding.and connected clients.

You may have equipment that utilize wifi6 or MU-MIMO, but I gather 3BB offer a WiFi6 router,

As other posters say, you can’t use your own GPON-ONU combo. What’s your ISP? Someone posted that AIS provide a GPON box, which is a box the size of a pack of cigarettes, that will clear your desk. To explain simply converts the fiber signal to Ethernet, then you take that signal to your own router. That will clear some space on your desk.

If you just want a WiFi signal to connect a few mobile devices to, the WiFi is good enough for your house, you  are ok with couple of Ethernet ports on your desk, you don’t need to tinker with the settings - just ask the ISP to update your router to the “best” they have available. 

Thank you recom273 for your detailed post on the subject, it helps me.

My ISP has been SINET for years, with fiber to the house. Due to increased interference and supplied older hardware, I now want to change the provider. 

Wanted to go to AIS, but they don't yet serve my area with fiber, so probably only 3BB remains. Looking at 1Gbps/700Mbps or 1Gbps/1Gbps rate and reviewing hardware. I may follow your advice and use my own router (e.g. TP-Link AX50).

br Harry

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

Thanks so much shdmn, will take a look at it, but think to choose TP-L AX50.

br Harry

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Take note, my remark was in regard to the modem part, router always can be changed.

Did they confirm they would help with adding a new modem?

Yes!

But it had been the service technician and not the boss ???? So I don't know for sure how far the technician's decision goes?!

Edited by harrythai

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Which ISP? What is the service speeds?

The Zyxel unit has one ethernet port? Connected to the TPLink unit?

Are you exepriencing any problems? Are these problems new?

We need details in order to formulate recommendations. You can never provide too much information.

My biggest questions: do the Zyxel and TP-Link units support GBe? Are you using a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable(s)?

The ISP might give you a new ONU + router for free, especially if you express an interest in a more expensive package, or mention you are considering switching to ISP nnn.

Hi mtls2005 and thanks for your message. I try to answer your questions:

Which ISP and what is the service speed?

SINET 70/30 Mbps

FO means Fiber optic? Don't understand this question.

Are you experiencing any problems? Are this problems new?

Yes, streaming movies (Netflix) stutters from time to time, or scrolling web pages interrupts. This is new.

The phone yes. The computer I don't know (Desktop, core i5 8400, MB msi mpg Z390, 8 GB Hyper X Ram). 

Yes (see attached files)

My biggest questions: do the Zyxel and TP-Link units support GBe?

GBe means Gigabit ethernet? Not sure!

Are you using a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable(s)?

Cat 5e

The ISP might give you a new Router for free, especially if you express an interest in a more expensive package, or mention you are considering switching to ISP nnn.

I asked to upgrade to 500/500 Mbps and more efficient hardware and wait for response.

br Harry

01 TPL-Model.jpg

02 ZYXEL-Model.jpg

03 Modem-Ports.jpg

04 TPL-Ports.jpg

Assuming you are getting 3BB fibre, the new Huawei OptiXstar Wi-Fi 6 Pro ONT router should be fine. The Huawei HG8245H may also be an option. These will terminate fibre from a Termination Point, so it will act like a modem and a router. You can uplink to a secondary router, like the TP-L AX50. The TP-L AX50 will not terminate fiber.

For a few 3BB (and AIS) fibre installs with the 8245H we've used TP-Link Archer C6 Wi-Fi as a secondary router, uplinked via GbE. Sort of a budget unit. Works well.

A decent set-up, but the biggest issue I see is that the TP-Link Archer C20 only supports 10/100 ethernet. The WiFi should be more than fine.

The Zyxel unit does have 10/100/1000 ethernet ports. (As near as I can determine.)

But with a 70/30 Mbps service I guess that isn't a bottleneck?

In this case the Zyxel unit is terminating fiber and the TP-Link unit is uplinked via ethernet.

If you do keep SiNET, and up the service, and need a secondary router, definitely consider replacing the Archer C20.

Back to the original post: while one can buy these integrated fibre routers on the market, they do rely on custom firmware supplied by the ISP. And the ISP doesn't want you using your own CPE which interfaces directly to their network, in most cases.

Edited by mtls2005

5 hours ago, harrythai said:

Hi mtls2005 and thanks for your message. I try to answer your questions:

Which ISP and what is the service speed?

SINET 70/30 Mbps

FO means Fiber optic? Don't understand this question.

Are you experiencing any problems? Are this problems new?

Yes, streaming movies (Netflix) stutters from time to time, or scrolling web pages interrupts. This is new.

The phone yes. The computer I don't know (Desktop, core i5 8400, MB msi mpg Z390, 8 GB Hyper X Ram). 

Yes (see attached files)

My biggest questions: do the Zyxel and TP-Link units support GBe?

GBe means Gigabit ethernet? Not sure!

Are you using a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable(s)?

Cat 5e

The ISP might give you a new Router for free, especially if you express an interest in a more expensive package, or mention you are considering switching to ISP nnn.

I asked to upgrade to 500/500 Mbps and more efficient hardware and wait for response.

br Harry

01 TPL-Model.jpg

02 ZYXEL-Model.jpg

03 Modem-Ports.jpg

04 TPL-Ports.jpg

Bottom line is - the zycel belongs to your ISP, so thats not going to work with your new provider.

The TP link isn't a gigabit router, so you might aswell toss it - unless you need a secondary router - but tbh .. I needed a LAN port for my TV, and I cant run ethernet cable over my house, so I just bought a little extender for 300B - I stream Netflix and media from my server to the extender and over ethernet to the cable - if you need a secondary access point, you can buy something a little modern and plug it in the wall.

You probably don't need gigabit both ways, you could get away with the cheaper package. They will give you one router for free thats perfectly adequate for your needs. 

Many thanks to all who contributed with their posts, most of which were instructive, not always to more clarity but to a decision.

I change ISP, choose the package 1Gbps/700Mbps and work with the router Huawei OptiXstar Wi-Fi 6 Pro ONT. 

Best regards
Harry

• Like 1