After Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai next in line to welcome vaccinated foreign tourists

webfact

On 3/27/2021 at 9:50 AM, Moonlover said:

By deploying the same methods that they have used for the last year and very successfully too.

Closing the Islands? Seems a logistical nightmare since there aren't any borders. Many people travel to the island daily for work. 

On 3/26/2021 at 9:51 AM, KhaoYai said:

Why should that concern them if they've been vaccinated?  None of the vaccines give 100% protection against Covid 19 but there's not a lot of point in getting vaccinated if you're going to worry and behave as if you haven't had it.

Or should we get vaccinated and stay home, walk 2m apart and not meet people from other households?

All the main vaccines give over 90% protection from catching the virus but if you do catch it the vaccine gives you 100% protection from getting seriously ill and even after your first dose, which gives you 70% protection from getting the virus, you still get 100% protection from getting seriously ill. You can still catch the virus and give it to other people even though you have been inoculated. Right from the start one in three people were naturally immune to this virus and showed little or no symptoms which is why it spread world wide so easily. The only area of concern is if a variant emerges which the vaccine is ineffective against.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 1:56 PM, khunPer said:

A few days ago the same talk was about Phuket and Samui, two islands, in a way it made more sense...????

..until you consider that after clearing immigration, they can go catch a domestic flight to some other destination in Thailand that still has 7-day ASQ but avoid having to do it.

21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

..until you consider that after clearing immigration, they can go catch a domestic flight to some other destination in Thailand that still has 7-day ASQ but avoid having to do it.

Depending of check-in control, control out of the island, and the mandatory app...????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, khunPer said:
10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Depending of check-in control, control out of the island, and the mandatory app...

It's dependent on controls that have either fallen into disuse, like the tracking apps, or don't exist like the checkpoints on the bridge.

We now know the vaccines greatly reduce transmissibility. We can see that Israel, a country with almost 60% of its population fully vaccinated (both shots + 14 days to achieve maximum inoculation), has an infection level well below 0.1% and is on the way to herd immunity. We can expect similar results in advanced countries such as the US, the UK, and the UAE in the coming months, and in the EU in 2022.

A plane load of fully-vaccinated Israeli tourists poses no Covid risk to any country. If the country they visit is, itself, experiencing high levels of infection, the risk to those vaccinated Israelis is tiny, lower than the risk of other illnesses, traffic accidents, food poisoning, bionic gonorrhea etc. That the population of the visited country has not yet been vaccinated is irrelevant.

The risk that the returning Israelis pose to Israel is also tiny.

The math changes significantly if a variant emerges against which the current vaccines are not effective, but that has not yet happened - the vaccines are less effective against some variants but still impressively effective.

The Covid danger to Thailand comes over its land borders. A vast number of migrant workers move back and forth, often with no controls, from countries with uncontrolled and mostly unmeasured epidemics. While some Thai hysterics overreact to farangs, the real danger comes from people who look almost indistinguisable from Thais. That inflow, and not tourism, is why Thailand needs to vaccinate. It has been foolish to delay and to turn down the international Covax scheme.

Thailand must decide whether it wishes to return to mass tourism. There is no logical argument against allowing the entry of fully-vaccinated tourists from countries with infection levels below 0.1%. Entry for such visitors should be as simple and easy as before the pandemic, with no mandatory Covid insurance, expensive tests, Certificates of Entry etc. Just turn up with your passport and vaccination certificate. For bonus points, until tourism is back up to 2019 levels, every arrival should be stamped in for six months. That is how you restart a mass industry from scratch.

If the generals decide, however, they want to wrap everything in increasing amounts of red tape - and everything we have seen since 2015 suggests they will - they will hand to their dominant position as tourist mecca, a golden goose of foreign cash that every country in the region has regarded with envy for over half a century, to Vietnam or the Philippines. While neither of those countries has re-opened yet, my sense is that they are going to approach this situation more logically and grab any advantage they can get.

To get a sense of how seriously the Vietnamese are taking this game, just look at the Visit Vietnam website :

https://vietnam.travel/home

... compared to Thailand's effort:

https://www.tourismthailand.org/landing

Edited by Poet
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

Surely the real gas masks needed in ChiangMai are more effective at reducing virus transmission than the cloth masks used in other provinces......

"ChiangMai double-masking": one for Covid, one for PM

SO IF i fly to phuket on july one,  i assume i can fly into bkk and then onwards from thier?  to phhuket?  or does the flight have to be special and only direct to phuket?   secondly ,  i need to go to a special hotel.  and can i go to restuarants and spas on day one?  thirdly can i move onto krabi on day seven if i please?  how about me going up to bkk for some days to get my stuff out of storage and then leave again.