Any Parks In Pattaya?

twix38

In my own Country (England), I enjoy going to the Parks from time to time.

There I can play sport and relax etc and enjoy the Green open field(s), the children can play and other possible facilities of Tennis Courts, shop, walking. All away from traffic in a wide open Green public area.

I know here we have beaches to relax (we do have some nice ones in England too), but the experience is a different one. You cannot play sport and one compliments the other, not replaces it. We need a Park too.

Many Parks also have nature trails, walks, lovely Gardens, Woods etc

Often, the choice of the beach or a Park, I would prefer a park where I don't have to sit on a deckchair or get sand everywhere and where I can enjoy the amenities a Public Park offers.

I know there is a jogging area here up by the Lookout point, but are there any Public Parks with Green field(s) in Pattaya? I have not found any in a City this size worthy of being called a Park and available to the public to rest/relax etc??

There I can play sport and relax etc and enjoy the Green open field(s), the children can play and other possible facilities of Tennis Courts, shop, walking. All away from traffic in a wide open Green public area.

I know here we have beaches to relax (we do have some nice ones in England too), but the experience is a different one. You cannot play sport and one compliments the other, not replaces it. We need a Park too.

Many Parks also have nature trails, walks, lovely Gardens, Woods etc

Often, the choice of the beach or a Park, I would prefer a park where I don't have to sit on a deckchair or get sand everywhere and where I can enjoy the amenities a Public Park offers.

I know there is a jogging area here up by the Lookout point, but are there any Public Parks with Green field(s) in Pattaya? I have not found any in a City this size worthy of being called a Park and available to the public to rest/relax etc??

Agreed ! there are no parks in Pattaya. There is a small area at the far end of naklua, near the market, which could be construed as a very small park.

I can only assume, there is no money to be made from parks. They demand upkeep. A great shame really.

I have seen parks in other parts of Thailand. I was in Hua Hin recently, and found a nice park. Maybe it's just Pattaya.

There is a park between the Phratamnak Rd and Thappraya Rd near Big Buddha hill called the King Rama IX Royal Park but I've never been in it just ride past. I've been told by the GF it's not too safe though and has drug addicts hanging around but she does tend to over exagerate dangers. I'll have to go for a look myself armed with a can of pepper spray just in case.

Simbo,

I know that spot. Hee hee spot is the word. In relation to a Park it has a subheading of postage stamp and if that's the best we have then it says it all.

Yes, seems a great shame and a real public let down.

Keebone,

If you survive the ordeal let us all know ;-)

I don't understand in this polluted concreate jungle, why sand (beaches) are the only public recreation area. Surely City Hall could be asked to provide at least one decent public park instead of only building sites and construction for more property villages or Condos!!

Maybe King Rama IX Royal Park will be the oasis, but from your description it sounds more like a no-go area.

Edited by twix38

Have to say that a decent centrally located park would be a major asset for Pattaya, the site of the old Soi 9 beer bar complex that has been or was derelict for some time would of been a good starting point that could maybe of been added to by compulsory purchase.

But of course a hotel or condo complex will bring more money in via backhanders for the local politicians so it'll never happen.

hee hee

City Hall should hang their heads in shame.

I truly think a quality Park with amenities would be very popular and a great attraction/bonus to Pattaya.

We only need one (of a resonable size) and some politicians with a public spirit.

I don't understand why the City planners have not even included a simple, safe, well maintained Park anywhere! They do have City Planners or someone who thinks further than the next back hander, don't they??

True, the space can always be found for a Golf course or three

Edited by twix38

If you have the time, of course Nong Nooch Gardens (albeit a bit outside of Patters) is a great place for rambling, lots pf gardens, walk ways, benches, and interesting things to catch the eye.

Big Buddha hill actually is fairly nice, there's more to see up there then people think, with plenty of areas to relax, chill or just stroll. :o

................Maybe it's just Pattaya.

I think it is just Pattaya.

The resort of Pattaya strives, and boasts, to be the ultimate holiday resort in Thailand, and in SE Asia, but there are no public facilities at all in this city......if anyone knows of any, then I'd appreciate the information. Thank you.

Parking in Pattaya in the evening is a nightmare. Suiging mentioned, with tongue in cheek, that "Big C" has lots of parking. So has the "Royal Garden Plaza" and "Tops" but all of these parking lots are not provided by, or managed by, the Local Authority. If the Local Authority can't, or won't, spend some money in finishing the road surfaces in and around South Pattaya, then we're peeing against the wind to hope that they will provide public amenities... EVER. There is a Planning Department in the City Hall......they couldn't plan a proverbial pissup in a brewery!!!

Have to say that a decent centrally located park would be a major asset for Pattaya, the site of the old Soi 9 beer bar complex that has been or was derelict for some time would of been a good starting point that could maybe of been added to by compulsory purchase.

But of course a hotel or condo complex will bring more money in via backhanders for the local politicians so it'll never happen.

Yes you are right, this site is currently under construction, a 5 star hotel and huge department store is going in there, it will be massive. Parks unfortunately don't make City Hall any money and it is sad we don't have one. I agree the developers should be forced to provide some sort of public amenity. :o

I haven't been down there in a while but there used to be a tiny one way down past the end of Naklua. There's also a undeveloped small partially-wooded area near the beach (across from a Wat, next to the fancy Saha Farms hotel complex).

I keep waiting for someone to build a private park (i.e. members only), or even a community garden of some kind, but it'll never happen...

See also http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46956

Edited by fxm88

................Maybe it's just Pattaya.

I think it is just Pattaya.

The resort of Pattaya strives, and boasts, to be the ultimate holiday resort in Thailand, and in SE Asia, but there are no public facilities at all in this city......if anyone knows of any, then I'd appreciate the information. Thank you.

The nearest thing to a public amenity is that Pratumnuk Hill area, the problem is that it is poorly maintained. Like at the walk ways between the trees, they have rubbish bins there but no inner bin so if you drop your rubbish in there you are in effect just throwing it on the ground. The only public toilet in Pattaya is at the out ramp coming down at the bottom on the left from the Radio Station on the hill where the Prince statue is. There is a parking area and the toilets there are not maintained, no water, no cleaning and it is so filthy I hate walking by it, stinks like hel_l. So yeah, put in toilets and bins but don't maintain it, what a waste.

The nearest thing to a public amenity is that Pratumnuk Hill area, the problem is that it is poorly maintained. Like at the walk ways between the trees, they have rubbish bins there but no inner bin so if you drop your rubbish in there you are in effect just throwing it on the ground. The only public toilet in Pattaya is at the out ramp coming down at the bottom on the left from the Radio Station on the hill where the Prince statue is. There is a parking area and the toilets there are not maintained, no water, no cleaning and it is so filthy I hate walking by it, stinks like hel_l. So yeah, put in toilets and bins but don't maintain it, what a waste.
Yes, the Prathumnak Hill (including the Sirikit Park) area was intended to be a public amenity and all those good intentions were destroyed, not only by zero maintenance but by vandalism. The lighting facilities have been scavenged by cable thieves.

Parks like that are not really part of the Thai scene, with odd exceptions like Lumpini Park in Bangkok.

In the Pattaya area you have Nong Nuch, you have pay to get in, but it does have pleasant gardens and

areas to amuse and educate children.

All in all rather a shamefull public provision attitude from City Hall.

The best they have done is provide insufficient and sparse public amenities and then allowed them to fall into disrepair and neglect, when the original provision has been at best only very minimal or even non existent anyway!

What is needed is for some sort of public pressure group for public amenties such as a decent Park, public toilet facilities, good road maintenance and general public recreation facilities.

Nong Nooch hardly counts I am afraid as a private business somewhat outside Pattaya central. To relax there on a regular basis would be rather expensive and it does not meet the fundamentals of public provision for the obvious reasons that it is not.

All in all rather a shamefull public provision attitude from City Hall.

The best they have done is provide insufficient and sparse public amenities and then allowed them to fall into disrepair and neglect, when the original provision has been at best only very minimal or even non existent anyway!

What is needed is for some sort of public pressure group for public amenties such as a decent Park, public toilet facilities, good road maintenance and general public recreation facilities.

Nong Nooch hardly counts I am afraid as a private business somewhat outside Pattaya central. To relax there on a regular basis would be rather expensive and it does not meet the fundamentals of public provision for the obvious reasons that it is not.

The park starting at Buddha Hill extends all the way to the Pattaya Lookout and all the way over to the heliport and down to the ocean. It's all natural wood with paved walking tracks which in total ad up to many kilometers. My morning walk is usually about 5 or 6 kilometers along these tracks. There's a tunnel under Pratamnak Road so you can continue your walk either side without hitting traffic. There is a skating rink in there, as well as a volleyball court.

As far as parks go, I would consider this one quite ok and very scenic.

There are a few unsavory characters that hang out in this park but the biggest safety risk would probably be from dogs. I would recommend carrying a decent stick if you choose to take a long stroll. I would not recommend this park after dark.

I would not recommend that area to anyone in pattaya.

Way to many bad boys around there.

I walk this park 5 times weekly and have never had any problems with "bad boys" or noticed anyone else run into trouble. In the day time (right from sunrise) the park is full of "normal" people (Thais and Farang doing exercise).

In this park there is a fitness circuit track with stations for various types of calisthenics.

Edited by tropo

I walk this park 5 times weekly and have never had any problems with "bad boys" or noticed anyone else run into trouble. In the day time (right from sunrise) the park is full of "normal" people (Thais and Farang doing exercise).

In this park there is a fitness circuit track with stations for various types of calisthenics.

I have jogged in this park a few times in the eve. around 6pm once the weather cools down a bit.

It is scuzzy and there are some junkies that hang around the top portion of the hill, bet if they felt you were an easy mark they would probably not think twice of robbing you.

Thanks for the laugh first thing in the morning.

:o

I have been around this so called Park, I think. A mixture of walking track, jogging and circuit track etc probably with other bits as you say.

Have I missed the wide open green grass, normally called a Park!! where you could lay down and relax, play sport in an open grass area and maybe a shop, playground for kids, etc etc close by????

Please tell me where the Park bit of this area is?

Also, a Park is usually a safe family area and not a junkies/robbers paradise!

It doesn't seem to fit the description of a Park in design, safety or maintenance and unless I have missed it, we still do not simply have a Public Park anywhere in Pattaya.

Edited by twix38

I have been around this so called Park, I think. A mixture of walking track, jogging and circuit track etc probably with other bits as you say.

Have I missed the wide open green grass, normally called a Park!! where you could lay down and relax, play sport in an open grass area and maybe a shop, playground for kids, etc etc close by????

It doesn't seem to fit the description of a Park in design, safety or maintenance and unless I have missed it, we still do not simply have a Public Park anywhere in Pattaya.

What? Since when does a park need to have open green grass areas?

Here's one definition of Park: A park is a bounded area of land, usually in its natural or semi-natural (landscaped) state and set aside for some purpose, usually to do with recreation.

Part of this park is landscaped, the other part natural.

Whether you care to accept it or not, this is a Public Park, and every day there are gardners tending it.

OK, lovely.

Perhaps what I would like then is what I clearly described in my opening post as my definition of a Park and is what this discussion is actually all about.

My definition of a Park must include at least....a free public playing field where you can relax, play sport etc. This is what is missing here in Pattaya, as other posters have agreed rather than get pedantic and quote one dictionary definition at me that is not in specific discussion.

I don't think there is much public space as I describe available for sports (football, rounders etc), picnics or sunbathing in the created pardise you mention (in fact no open green space at all of any qualifying size). That is what I stated I was looking for and is very typical of the Parks I know in my home country, although they may also include other areas and amenities too, as you suggest. We can go to a number of Parks and play football, Softball, picnic, sunbath.

What is a Park then? Is it a Wood, a Garden, an overgrown bounded area of land? To me these can all be included in the general terms of a Park, but the Park part for me must include an area of bounded well kept green grass field(s) big enough to swing several cats. Otherwise you could more correctly label these areas not as Parks, but truly what they are...Woods, Golf course, Gardens, swimming Lido, forest, circuit training course, running tracks, hills, waste land or if you want to generalise and mislead a bit, any mix of these could be called a Park then!!!!

What? Since when does a park need to have open green grass areas?

Here's one definition of Park: A park is a bounded area of land, usually in its natural or semi-natural (landscaped) state and set aside for some purpose, usually to do with recreation.

Part of this park is landscaped, the other part natural.

Whether you care to accept it or not, this is a Public Park, and every day there are gardners tending it.

Edited by twix38

Ok, I'll say it.

twix38, you are just venting. Even though you asked for info on parks in Pattaya, you derisively dismiss the information you receive.

You ain't in Kansas anymore! Who cares what recreational facilities you enjoyed in jolly ol'. This is Thailand. Have you been kidnapped and held here against your will? I'll bet you are one of those that think you live in Pa-TAY-a.

The Pratumnak park is a park despite the fact it isn't what you want it to be.

Maybe you can find a friend with a lawn. :o

There are no areas for free public recreational pursuits that are big enough to allow safe family relaxation, sports playing or sunbathing for a reasonable number of people in total. Just postage size areas with course grass, at best.

just lamenting the fact, but it's off to the beach or a sports hall then!

There are no areas for free public recreational pursuits that are big enough to allow safe family relaxation, sports playing or sunbathing for a reasonable number of people in total. Just postage size areas with course grass, at best.

just lamenting the fact, but it's off to the beach or a sports hall then!

The idiom "betwixt and between" would seem to well describe Pratamnak Park. :o:D:D

Edited by tropo