self driving cars - coming when?

Immediately for those inclined to commit suicide.

When safe full self driving becomes common is anybodies guess at this time, and here are my guesses:

Safe full self driving on highways, perhaps 2 years with Tesla, perhaps 4-5 years with other electric vehicles unless they pay Tesla for their software.

Safe full self driving in cities, perhaps 4 years with Tesla, perhaps 8-10 years with other electric vehicles unless they pay Tesla for their software.

In the meantime, keep your your eyes on the road, your hands on the steering wheel, and your feet ready to use the pedals of any vehicle with driver's assist.

• Thanks 1

As soon as the litigation can be sorted out.

When the self driving system fails, and you kill someone, or yourself, who will be at fault ?

If a choice must be made to decide between hitting a baby carriage and driving over an older person, what will the software decide ?

It is Far Far Away, in a Galaxy Far Far Away

Anyone who does not realize this is living in that same galaxy

• Like 2

You can buy an Alphard "Executive Lounge" at Vattana Auto (and maybe a late model Chevy Astro van) and hire a driver for less than baht 20K per month and then you won't even have to worry about parking it either. ???? 

I use to sleep like a baby when I had my Astro here and got stuck in traffic. (drivers were only 12k/month with no OT back then. OT by the hour after 10 hrs...) 

42 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

When the self driving system fails, and you kill someone, or yourself, who will be at fault ?

If a choice must be made to decide between hitting a baby carriage and driving over an older person, what will the software decide ?

Then again, maybe you could make a couple of million.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/article/LK/20050203/news/605209362/SH

pigs will fly before self drive cars arrive in Thailand. Can you imagine a Thai driver sitting in a self drive car when he/she can't put the pedal to the metal and drive as fast as they want, or as inconsiderately as they do. Not in any of our life times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Indeed.

I think that "most" of the technical problems are sorted - I believe that there are three levels of autonomous driving and they have all been worked out.

But insurance - that's a whole new ball game. Who's responsible - the car manufacturer? The driver? Until that is solved they won't be around any time soon.

One idea I heard of is a "caravan" or "wagon trail" - one car with a driver and X number of cars hooked up behind on automatic. Would work on a motorway but God forbid if half of them got stuck at the lights or tried to traverse around basically Middle-Ages streets in a town.

7 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

This is the classic "Trolley Problem" - if humans can't sort it how will AI? Get the profiles of the possible victims over the Internet and make a value judgement based on a points system?

1 hour ago, rakman said:

Would you trust AI to decide who lives and who dies?

The crux of the matter in a nutshell.

I would not trust anyone - and the LAST people to trust to act on your behalf would be the Government, followed closely by the manufacturer. Both have a vested interest in only themselves, as has been proven since time immemorial.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

the LAST people to trust to act on your behalf would be the Government, followed closely by the manufacturer. Both have a vested interest in only themselves, as has been proven since time immemorial.

Being a caveman must have been even rougher than I imagine it..

17 hours ago, jasonsamui55 said:

Yeah, but in countries where the roads are uniform, lines are painted, and other divers a.) have licenses, b.) follow the rules and c.) have a clue how to drive.  That said, in Thailand maybe in 200 years!

They'd just need to train AI to think like a Thai driver. I took me a while to adapt, and now I'm just as reckless as any other driver !

• Haha 1

First, the big issue (as I see it) and i think as someone else eluded to, is liability. 

If the car drives itself, who is responsible when there is an accident? 

Second, if it will work anywhere, it will work anywhere. 

The only difference between driving in Thailand and driving somewhere else is the frequency of idiotic maneuvers, but the is not really much of anything i see here that you don’t see elsewhere albeit less frequently, yes?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mogandave said:

First, the big issue (as I see it) and i think as someone else eluded to, is liability. 

If the car drives itself, who is responsible when there is an accident? 

Second, if it will work anywhere, it will work anywhere. 

The only difference between driving in Thailand and driving somewhere else is the frequency of idiotic maneuvers, but the is not really much of anything i see here that you don’t see elsewhere albeit less frequently, yes?

Yes, terrific answer as to driving habits... 

I would assume that liability would work pretty much as it does now.. a self driving car cannot be responsible if someone runs a red light and crashes into it... 

But, if a car is sold as self driving, I do not expect it will be cheap, but if the unit is at fault in an accident, then the manufacturer will be liable just as it would be if your brakes failed due to faulty manufacturing... right? 

I do not expect it will be 100% safe, but just as your brakes failing, it should not be on the market until they can be pretty sure that it won't fail... Computers have parts and these parts can malfunction... but so do humans... my guess is that they will be able to get it to a point where it fails less often than humans [unless the computer lieks to drink and drive] how many rtimes a day does a human get behind the wheel after some alcohol thinking they can respond perfectly to every situation..

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Yes, terrific answer as to driving habits... 

I would assume that liability would work pretty much as it does now.. a self driving car cannot be responsible if someone runs a red light and crashes into it... 

But, if a car is sold as self driving, I do not expect it will be cheap, but if the unit is at fault in an accident, then the manufacturer will be liable just as it would be if your brakes failed due to faulty manufacturing... right? 

I do not expect it will be 100% safe, but just as your brakes failing, it should not be on the market until they can be pretty sure that it won't fail... Computers have parts and these parts can malfunction... but so do humans... my guess is that they will be able to get it to a point where it fails less often than humans [unless the computer lieks to drink and drive] how many rtimes a day does a human get behind the wheel after some alcohol thinking they can respond perfectly to every situation..

If a car is self driving, I agree, the manufacturer is liable for any accidents. 

Right now i spent about 20k a year on insurance. If i buy a self driving car, the manufacturer becomes responsible for most of that. 

That additional cost must be rolled into the cost of the vehicle. How long does a car last? The manufacturer has to held liable for virtually all damages both to and from the car, for the life of the car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

And you have the resources to take the manufacturer to court ?

Litigate for 10 - 15 - 20 years ?

Many people in Hell, screaming at the top of their lungs, "But I was Right"

I would have all required insurance as I do now... and so would the manufacturer... no litigation needed - - same as now.

You have been to hell - and there are people screaming? What else did you see there?

14 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I would have all required insurance as I do now... and so would the manufacturer... no litigation needed - - same as now.

And when the manu says NO - not our fault

And you think an insurance company will stand by you for the years of litigation ?

Seems to me that you have not spent much time in court

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

That is correct.. I don't need to - I have appropriate insurance... and I am sure by the time they get the kinks ironed out, there will be appropriate insurance

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

And when the manu says NO - not our fault

And you think an insurance company will stand by you for the years of litigation ?

Do you really think they will be allowed to start selling self driving cars before the liability issue is settled? 

• Thanks 1