Taking motorcycle helmets aboard a plane.

Keith5588

My Thai gf and myself will soon be taking our 5th holiday within Thailand.

I think we now have it quite well arranged by taking a holdall bag (so no frame or wheels) that is near the maximum allowed size for a cabin bag and when packed weighs just under 7kg. We also take a rucksack that weighs when packed about 5 kg.

We hire a Honda Click or similar as soon as possible after landing. The larger holdall fits nicely between my legs.

We have until now always used helmets provided by the bike rental shop but they have mostly been very cheap thin helmets so I am thinking it would like to take our own if not too much of a problem.

I have already booked the flights to Surat Thani with Air Asia.

I will now also try to send a message to Air Asia.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of taking motorcycle helmets on a plane?

Thanks

Keith

I took my helmet as hand luggage on flights from Bangkok to Vietnam and back again. Never had a problem. It was in a carry bag which came with the helmet.

That was with Bangkok airlines. 

I'm not sure of the policy's of other airlines or if domestic flights are any different. Can't see it being a problem.

Thanks Graham, I did send a message to Air Asia via Facebook Messenger, I think it was to a robot that didn't understand or was not switched on.

I am now wondering if I want to take helmets or not .......... I may try a different way to message AA