Pattaya: Deputy mayor admits mistakes after two surf skaters need 500K surgery each - no helmets were worn

webfact

I tbought the accidents were at Central Marina. Huge crowds and ambulances there at the weekend. Skateboarding in multi-storey car parks seems to be a thing, including the condo complex where I live. So many empty floors to play in. If anyone has an accident will the owners bear any responsibility?

8 hours ago, Susco said:

After all those years here, and pretending on the forum you know everything better, you can't figure out where that hospital is located?

well, i know more than you, that's for sure, but you'd expect them to use actual hospital name, often location descriptions aren't great

13 hours ago, Upnotover said:

They really are an odd lot.  Put them on a bike for a ride around the lake and they dress up like its the Tour de France, not one without a helmet/gloves, etc.

That’ll be the gents of advancing years with nothing better to spend their money on...I suggest that this is a different demographic sir..but agreed..

17 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that City Hall had tried their best to promote safety and the wearing of safety equipment prior to the event.

But not during!

How about no helmet no participation! For too long these people have been making speeches before events, do much handwringing after, and yet the situation remains unchanged. I often sit at traffic lights on Sukhumvit, waiting to turn into town and I count motorcycle users without helmets... usually 25-75%.

They see these rules as simply a way to extract money from foreign tourists at the 2nd/Klang junction or Beach Rd, in front of soi 9, rather than a safety necessity.

• Like 1

When I started skating more than 40 years ago, there we just no helmets for skaters and we all survived with bruises and broken teeth.

Donno what's all about it - you know the risk when you ride. That's it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2021 at 9:12 AM, scubascuba3 said:

"Muang Pattaya Hospital"

Never heard of it

7 hours ago, Xonax said:

You know that Muang translates to City:  https://www.facebook.com/inter.pattayacityhospital/?rf=161809467320243

Anyone who has been visiting/living here aught to know Muang means in the City...therefore Muang City Hospital is as you rightly point out is the City Hospital here on soi Buakhaow and scuba fully knows that...he`s just being pedantic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tingtong said:

The brain damage happened earlier.

All believed the face mask is the all in one protection they will ever need skateboarding.

Yes a brilliant idea from the Town Hall here....it`s noticeable that the Deputy Mayor is put in the firing line to admit the cock-up....the head honcho is nowhere to be seen....wonder why?

2 hours ago, robbioff said:

That’ll be the gents of advancing years with nothing better to spend their money on...I suggest that this is a different demographic sir..but agreed..

Not where I live; plenty of young skinny guys; and they travel in packs; I suspect all the gear is more of a status thing than anything else; don't want to be mistaken for some pleb who can't afford a motorbike.

Edited by nausea
Spelling

It must be a cultural thing to not wear protective gear.  Rarely do you see skateboarders, BMX and downhill bike riders wearing more than very basic gear, Always wearing T shirt and shorts !  Cos it looks cool ?  Scars, broken limbs and broken teeth aren't cool.  Or is it to impress a few girls ?

• Like 1

Getting out of bed in the morning and living life is fraught with risk.  Accidents happen.  Does that mean you wrap yourself in bubble-wrap and wear a helmet 24/7 because you might fall down.  If it wasn't head injuries that it would be an elbow or knee.  So body armor is needed, right?
So to safely navigate life, one should wake up and don bubble-wrap, body-armor, mouth-guard, and a helmet - oh, and a face-mask, ear-plugs, and goggles. 

Or you just accept living is a risk and carry on.

Edited by connda

20 hours ago, keith101 said:

If there were no signs everywhere stating what safety equipment had to be worn to take part in the event (from the start) and was not being monitored properly to ensure all those taking part actually wore them then the organizers are responsible for the care of everyone injured .

If people joined from the sidelines then they are responsible for their own safety and any injuries .

Maybe in amerika where if you fall on a just mopped floor of a bodega you can go for millions but don't forget TIT 

21 hours ago, keith101 said:

If there were no signs everywhere stating what safety equipment had to be worn to take part in the event (from the start) and was not being monitored properly to ensure all those taking part actually wore them then the organizers are responsible for the care of everyone injured .

If people joined from the sidelines then they are responsible for their own safety and any injuries .

I disagree. People are responsible for their own safety and should be properly equipped to take part in whatever activity they are involved with. 

having said that, failure to control and monitor is a responsibility of the organisers. If someone chooses to turn up at the control points without the proper safety equipment, they should be 'couselled' and told they cannot take part. Each person should be issued a number, and those without a number are not taking part and are not the responsibility of the organisers.

Organised activities should be insured. They have to be where I come from. Officially taking part, as above, means insurance covers you. 

• Like 2

Organizing an activity that statistics demonstrate as not being particularly safe (not to mention the state of Thai roads) is not an inspired choice.  Participating in an activity that is known to have safety risks, with no protective gear, seems to be ill-advised.  Seems to me both parties are to blame here

16 hours ago, Susco said:

After all those years here, and pretending on the forum you know everything better, you can't figure out where that hospital is located?

It's called Pattaya City Hospital, in English. Muang is not an English word and it has no place in the text of the article.