How to save money on your electricity bill during hot season in Thailand

webfact

17 hours ago, KannikaP said:

A fan will only cool parts of your body exposed to the airflow, due to latent heat of evaporation.

If the outside temperature is less than 31, you may as well open the window instead of burning electricity to make it 31.

Open the windows and you get near 90 percent humidity at night.

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

If you are trying to save costs on electricity by limited use of your air-con, you are in the wrong country, indeed you are in the wrong part of the World. 

Actually, you're in the wrong country and region if you need a/c to be comfortable and/or survive. Should move to Alaska.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Actually, you're in the wrong country and region if you need a/c to be comfortable and/or survive. Should move to Alaska.

Nonsense. This macho rubbish of 'I never use aircon' is total BS. You can be perfectly acclimatised to living here, while using aircon to sleep and on very hot days, especially if you are working.  Sitting around sweating like a pig , increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, miserable and smelly is hardly a good look, or a good feel. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Nonsense. This macho rubbish of 'I never use aircon' is total BS. You can be perfectly acclimatised to living here, while using aircon to sleep and on very hot days, especially if you are working.  Sitting around sweating like a pig , increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, miserable and smelly is hardly a good look, or a good feel. 

Do you sit around like a pig and sweat during the day? I don't. Maybe you need to shed some weight, improve your diet and be healthy enough to live in a hot climate. Sucking down beer, pigging out on fatty foods, and fattening yourself up will make you feel miserable. I've lived in hot climates for most of my life. Where I come from, it's hotter than Thailand for five to six months of the year. I've seen it top out at 45 (113 F) with summers going for months where it goes over 100 every day. But if you know how to live with it, it's not a problem. Porking yourself up and going soft isn't going to help all you Euros who can't take the weather when the lights go out for a prolonged period. 

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

More nonsense, popular word today, no need for AC most of the time, I avoid it when out, funny thing is Thais who rarely sweat love to go get some "HISO"  AC

• Like 1

I run the AC in the master bedroom, en-suite, lounge room, dining room and kitchen  24/7 @ 25 degrees, amazes me the fluctuation I see in month to month electric bills, do the units work harder in the hotter months ?

all units are cleaned every 3 months.

On 4/1/2021 at 2:54 PM, scubascuba3 said:

27 degrees at night for a couple hours works for me mainly because the AC drops the humidity. I may try 28

You could also switch off the refrigerator and drink your beer warm.

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2021 at 8:46 PM, lemonjelly said:

I was thinking of training Passion flower onto wall trellises to help keep the sun off the walls. Anyone here tried this?

Anything that causes shady walls helps. 

I wondered if anyone had the water misters around their house circulate the water through a cooler system. 

We found that the biggest single way to save on electricity cost was to invest in inverter aircon units when we remodeled our condo.  Big, big savings.  Yes, they're more expensive, but will pay for themselves within just a few years and when you consider the life of an aircon unit well worth it.  Now we're no longer the talk of the staff as the unit with the highest monthly electricity bill.  Saving at least 40% a month, sometimes the bill is half what it was before.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I run the AC in the master bedroom, en-suite, lounge room, dining room and kitchen  24/7 @ 25 degrees, amazes me the fluctuation I see in month to month electric bills, do the units work harder in the hotter months ?

all units are cleaned every 3 months.

A/C can be considered as pumping heat from one place to another.  A good analogy is pumping water.  If you want to pump water uphill, it takes more energy to pump it up a higher hill.  If you want to pump the heat to a hotter place it requires more energy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1