Thailand braces for heaviest rainfall in 30 years

snoop1130

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Quite, the other thing is they are talking about 4 reservoirs so the amount of unusable water will be greater than for just one.

It seems a lot of unusable water. 

2 hours ago, ParkerN said:
5 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Only 29% of the water in the dams is useable? That doesn’t seem very efficient. And why is the other 71% unusable. What’s wrong with it? 

The Thai syndrome strikes again...

Not the first time you will have seen it in all of it's glory. Nor shall it be the last.

Sadly.

You guys....

MDDL, a dam's minimum draw down level, below which there is not enough water pressure to make thinks work.  This is even explained on Thai websites. 

Must be painful to realize you have less basic knowledge than Thailand.

1 minute ago, rabas said:

You guys....

MDDL, a dam's minimum draw down level, below which there is not enough water pressure to make thinks work.  This is even explained on Thai websites. 

Hence my use of the word, ‘seem’. Now I know. 

Just now, rabas said:

You guys....

Long Bow/ It would be more accurate to say that it must be painful for TVF posters to realise that, as laymen, they know only a little less than Thai experts. You can go from there, which is a better starting point.

One swallow doth not a summer make and one basic fact doth not not an academic argument make.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Bring it on reservoirs, moats and ponds and lakes need topping up so dry in Sukhothai. 

The ground is baked dry and solid here in rural Kamphaeng Phet so the first hour so of rain will just run off. Eventually it will soak in and my worst enemy will reappear. The scrub grass will be growing quicker than I can cut it.

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The ground is baked dry and solid here in rural Kamphaeng Phet so the first hour so of rain will just run off. Eventually it will soak in and my worst enemy will reappear. The scrub grass will be growing quicker than I can cut it.

My bit of farmland gets out of control I just drive over it. 

IMG_20210316_085549.thumb.jpg.377d32eb5ab3fe531913d9a490f3f3a4.jpg

20 hours ago, SiamRead said:

If they predict the highest rainfall in more than 30 years, it's good ! But why must there be a warning  ?

Well that's an easy one.

So that folks who live where they flood normally can prepare themselves accordingly.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen how much rain there was in Australia this year?  So yes la nina was mild this year but it is not the only thing that influences weather.  Weather Bureaus make these long term predictions all over the world and they are usually pretty accurate.  But the worst rainy season in 30 years that does sound like TAT.

3 minutes ago, JohnCR10 said:

Has anyone seen how much rain there was in Australia this year?  So yes la nina was mild this year but it is not the only thing that influences weather.  Weather Bureaus make these long term predictions all over the world and they are usually pretty accurate.  But the worst rainy season in 30 years that does sound like TAT.

It's a new hub.

20 hours ago, overherebc said:

Just because it doesn't rain in your back garden doesn't mean it didn't rain in your mates garden 2 kilometres away. ????

My friend 2 klm away doesn't have a garden ???? does that mean he  will never have rain? asking for a friend ????

16 hours ago, Redline said:

Also, I recall reading that they use a long term weather forecasting service in the USA that uses supercomputers and weather modeling 

They feed in weather pattern records going back as far as they have records for. Any pattern that is close to the present pattern is found and the following weeks/months are looked at. Sort of follows the idea that if in say 1970 at the same of year as today the weather patterns over all are very similar to today then it's likely that similar weather will follow. 

Then again does a butterfly flapping its wings in Japan have any effect on tomorrow's weather here?

????

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My friend 2 klm away doesn't have a garden ???? does that mean he  will never have rain? asking for a friend ????

Don't be silly. The rain will know this and just go looking for another house with a garden.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And why not indicate which parts of Thailand will get the heaviest falls?

They do ... go to the website. See the forecasts. They divide the country into regions and districts/cities.

Why did you say something that you knew was clearly wrong?

Edited by todlad

59 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And why not indicate which parts of Thailand will get the heaviest falls?

You are talking about seasonal forecasts...   what they are likely going on are things like ocean temperature in areas that are the source of the seasonal storms that typically come ashore in Thailand, but they would not be able to track specific storm paths... they could statistically model the likelihood of an increase in storms or storm intensity for the coming season with a statistical error margin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Kamphaeng Phet, in recent years, has been blessed with plenty of rain. I went there six years ago and the rain just kept coming. Unlike some areas, where for the last two years there has been no more that 500mm in a calendar year.

When you reflect that some countries built canal and waterway systems over 100 years ago, Thailand is a little slow off the mark, regarding water management.

Good to hear you are cutting the grass. Please don't use any herbicides Build. I know it's a drag, but hand cutting is better for insect life too.

I'm looking for a lightweight electric cutter that Mrs Owl might be able to use.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Kamphaeng Phet, in recent years, has been blessed with plenty of rain. I went there six years ago and the rain just kept coming. Unlike some areas, where for the last two years there has been no more that 500mm in a calendar year.

When you reflect that some countries built canal and waterway systems over 100 years ago, Thailand is a little slow off the mark, regarding water management.

Good to hear you are cutting the grass. Please don't use any herbicides Build. I know it's a drag, but hand cutting is better for insect life too.

I'm looking for a lightweight electric cutter that Mrs Owl might be able to use.

Don't spoil her ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

It seems a lot of unusable water. 

We have about 30 of the large concrete urns, each one with the outlet about 200 mm above the bottom.

That is a lot of unusable water, something you have to live with.

16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

That is a distorted point of view.

Years ago there was little need for canals and waterway systems. We, like many other properties in the area that do not have mains water, have a well and collect rain water during the rainy season. As far as I am aware Thailand has always had a rainy season.

In the last 30 years Thailand has mushroomed in respect of foreign visitors and housing development and it is this that has put a huge demand on the right amount of water being in the right place at the right time.

About 65 years ago as a child in my home town I remember seeing a sawmill float away. After many similar floods over the years they finally put flood defenses in place a couple of years ago. Heavy rain last year showed potentially not fit for purpose.

There isn't a country in the world that is not playing catchup on one thing or another.

22 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is a distorted point of view.

Years ago there was little need for canals and waterway systems. We, like many other properties in the area that do not have mains water, have a well and collect rain water during the rainy season. As far as I am aware Thailand has always had a rainy season.

In the last 30 years Thailand has mushroomed in respect of foreign visitors and housing development and it is this that has put a huge demand on the right amount of water being in the right place at the right time.

About 65 years ago as a child in my home town I remember seeing a sawmill float away. After many similar floods over the years they finally put flood defenses in place a couple of years ago. Heavy rain last year showed potentially not fit for purpose.

There isn't a country in the world that is not playing catchup on one thing or another.

Isan always been short on water.

Apart from when it was flooded with sea water yonks ago.

22 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

there is every year a lot of time to maintain rivers and dams, but as usual they only will do it when the country is flooded.. after the flooding the problems are solved again..

There is a system in place to control rain water flooding. That's not the problem.  Parts of Issan get flooded every year; because, the dam "maintenance" system in Thailand; and, surrounding countries consists of opening the floodgates to insure the integrity of those dams. They don't care about the affect that has on everyone downstream.  I can only imagine what is going to happen with this forecast. 

Reference....... https://reliefweb.int/report/thailand/river-communities-face-flooding-dam-discharge-increased

On 4/2/2021 at 4:53 PM, SiamRead said:

If they predict the highest rainfall in more than 30 years, it's good ! But why must there be a warning  ?

Because in 2011 there were disastrous floods because the reservoirs were allowed to fill up too soon. When heavier than normal rains fell in October, they had to release too much water. I'm skeptical, because they don't even know the difference between a tropical storm and a rainstorm that happens in a tropical country. Japan, in a remarkable display of stupidity, demanded the government guarantee there never again be floods on that scale.

I hate to think what the state of Sukhumvit will be like between Pattaya and Sattahip if we get heavy rain !!  It's going to be a mud bath  !!! It will just be one long sea of mud with the contractors unable to get anything finished as they will be bailing out most of the time !   Congestion is crazy right now so it can only get worse . Can't understand why they don't just concentrate on doing one section at a time and finish that before going on to the next .  Can't wait to see how Pattaya's new drainage system works !!   

On 4/2/2021 at 11:36 AM, snoop1130 said:

Thailand is bracing for its heaviest rainfall in more than three decades

Time to start building my Ark I think.

Onboard two of everything

2 Udon Thani girls

2 Bangkok girls

2 Chiang Mai girls

2 Phuket girls......

etc......

image.jpeg.2eba5a993cf13a2137cd3b38ada450ed.jpeg

Bring on the rain...

• Like 1