Thailand braces for heaviest rainfall in 30 years

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Last big floods were in 2011.  So, biggest rainfall in 30 years must be biblical.

If the floods 30 years ago were bigger than 2011, they must have really been something to write home about. 

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

have a total water volume of approximately 9,417 million cubic metres, or 38 per cent of the reservoir capacity, with approximately 2,748 million cubic metres of usable water.

Only 29% of the water in the dams is useable? That doesn’t seem very efficient. And why is the other 71% unusable. What’s wrong with it? 

51 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Only 29% of the water in the dams is useable? That doesn’t seem very efficient. And why is the other 71% unusable. What’s wrong with it? 

What does ‘efficiency’ mean in this context?  The 71% is the same water, so there is nothing wrong with it.  It is simply not accessible as it is impossible to get the water level in the reservoir down below some minimum.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Fair enough.  That happens where I am in Bangkok.  The street in front of our condo will get rain and my side of the building will not, go figure.

Does that mean you have to go to the far side of the building to get ice cream ?

• Haha 1

The good news is that rainy season generally marks the end of feild burning / extreme PM2.5 air pollution season. Hopefully by this time next month it'll be safe breath the air as Thailand drops from it's position at the top in being listed as having the most polluted city in the world. ????

Screenshot_20210403_075157_com.airvisual.jpg

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So already predicting and forecasting for the next month.  Just like predicting on the number of tourists that will arrive and then predicting on when Covid will go away.  Can't wrap my head around a future prediction on the weather.  A meteorologist is just like a politician, they can keep their jobs because they have a 50/50 chance of being correct and are never penalized when the forecast is different then what they said.

Can you clarify the point of your comment?

Firstly, a future prediction of the weather... well, yes ... prediction ... future ... of course, due to lack of data, we can look backwards.

Secondly, 50/50 chance of being correct ... nonsense. As someone else rightly pointed out, meteorologists have a much better than 50% accuracy track record.

Thirdly, can you really not understand why we are interested to learn of weather warnings, weather status quo... ?

15 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

there is every year a lot of time to maintain rivers and dams, but as usual they only will do it when the country is flooded.. after the flooding the problems are solved again..

That's not true. There is always a lot of interest in the availabilty of water around here. Reservoirs are constantly monitored and movement of water to where it's needed is not at all unusual.

The Meteorological Department gets it wrong most of the time. Even when it is raining they are showing sunshine on their charts. I got my ass wet too many times on my motorcycle and that's from 1 day forecast. So now they are guessing something big is going to happen in may. Well they could right or they could be wrong who knows, but I wouldn't go out and buy a boat just yet!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kickstart said:

Um, someone does not know their  geography

Well, no.  They just use language a bit loosely (which of us does not!?).

None of these dam the main Chaopraya river, all are on tributaries.  So strictly it should say: in the Chaopraya basin.

Edited by PGSan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, grantbkk said:

I believe he is talking about pulling numbers and stats out of a minister's ass with no data to support them.

It would be instructive for you to take a look at the Thailand Meteorological Department website where you can see and appreciate the wealth of data they generate, have generated and generate in collaboration with world wide meteorological departments.

That could stop you from sticking your foot in your orifice from which the sun cannot shine.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, keith101 said:

The Meteorological Department has warned that from early May, the average rainfall would be the highest in more than 30 years. Where is TAT mentioned ?

I think it is a thing called a JOKE ????????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

That's the stuff that's downhill ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PGSan said:

Well, no.  They just use language a bit loosely (which of us does not!?).

None of these dam the main Chaopraya river, all are on tributaries.  So strictly it should say: in the Chaopraya basin.

Well done.

4 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

la Nina??? Do you mean El Nino? ????????????

Right now still La Nina:

South East Asia

Large parts of South East Asia have shown a typical La Niña response with significantly above normal rainfall totals over the last few months. This trend is likely to continue, particularly to the east of the region.

https://reliefweb.int/report/world/wmo-el-ni-ola-ni-update-january-2021