Year model in contract is 2021 for my new car. But in blue book its turned out to be 2020

jack71

I purchased a car in late Dec. The contract I signed stated I was getting a 2021 model.  I told the sales woman all along that I expect that there will be a 2021 model year in the blue book when we revert from red to white plates. 

At first she said she would go and do the registration in bkk for me -as thats where I bought the car. I live in another province and was happy to pay for that service. She later said I have to do it in my own province which I subsequently did. I was disappointed to see the 2020 date and spoke to the boss at the car dept who issued the blue book. He said it was the salesman that I should be raising this issue with.

Half of the docs (that she posted to me) did actually have 2021 dates on it. But there were some 2020 dates on there as well (eg manufacture date). When dealing with the people at the car place I had the sales woman on speaker and she got really angry at them. But it clearly didnt help me in the end. I even punched in the VIN number to a 'VIN de-coder' on the internet. It said my car was a 2021 model

I dont know if I should let this one go or ask the attorney to call the car company where I bought it from. At the end of the day the main issue for me is that if I go to re-sell it in a few yrs I will obviously get less money. 

What would you do in this situation? A thai friend of ours said they remember recently the same thing happening in northern thailand and the customer took the salesman to court. I dont know if I can be assed doing that to be honest. Too much stresssssss

thanks

Cars for a particular model year can be manufactured in a previous year.

A 2021 model may well be assembled in May to meet the new model release date, which in times past was in the last quarter of the previous year.

So very likely that you have a 2021 model, but made in 2020.

Thailand is funny like that also - a 2020 model, if not registered until January 2021 with the DLT, will be listed as a 2021 by them.

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

a 2020 model, if not registered until January 2021 with the DLT, will be listed as a 2021 by them.

I dont understand what you're trying to say in the previous sentence. I registered mine in march 2021. but still it shows 2020.

what would you do in this situation?

10 minutes ago, jack71 said:

I dont understand what you're trying to say in the previous sentence. I registered mine in march 2021. but still it shows 2020.

what would you do in this situation?

Does the blue book show it as being a 2020 ?

Might be the paperwork they received from the dealer shows this date.

Or it could be that particular DLT office.

One thing I have learned in LOS is that there is no "scribed in stone" set of rules or guidelines with different gov't offices.

What works in one does not work in another.

Some accept yellow book as proof of residence, some do not.

When you open the drivers door, is there a sticker there from the manufacturer ? If so, does it list the month and year of manufacture ?

Me - I would not worry too much about it. If DLT has issued a blue book, and particulars are correct - VIN, your name and address - just put it down to one of the quirks of living here !

11 hours ago, jack71 said:

I purchased a car in late Dec.

Dec 2020 can be the same as an October 2020 purchase but be a 2021 model,

The date in the book will be when assembly was completed left the factory as understand it.

I remember people in England getting great deals in December because many were waiting until January to get the new year date.

Many people did the same just waiting till August to get the new plate numbers.

It made no difference to price when selling it.