Songkran could bring new wave of COVID-19 infections, top virologist warns

webfact

16 minutes ago, Henryford said:

You can kiss goodbye to any foreign tourists coming in 2021. It's as if they want to keep the lockdowns.

I don't believe that those in charge want foreign tourists back until the pandemic is over.  Looks like they're going through the motions to keep the tourism industry hopeful.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

I don't believe that those in charge want foreign tourists back until the pandemic is over.  Looks like they're going through the motions to keep the tourism industry hopeful.

I would have to agree with you.  How many schemes have they presented which have gone on to a working plan that always seems to be short lived with too many hoops.  Looks good on.paper but for the masses does not work for so many.

1 hour ago, paulikens said:

@RichardColeman doesnt seem to me your family mean that much to you, cuz you cant be arsed to do a bit of paperwork, id move heaven and earth for my family.   

Actually, the issue for me is that I return to the UK every 9 months for medical reasons, doing paperwork and quarantine and all once is not an issue, but doing it to maybe leave and then return again in 9 months and repeat repeat is soul destroyingly stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

I think this is not something to comment on.   I'm not sure I could do 14 or 10 or even 7 days in jail. I have not seen my fiancee for 15 months.  Our relationship is strong and I feel I can achieve things here to better our future for when she  hopefully can come on a K1 visa that we think is near. 

I 100% agree with you. Year away now, but my wife of 6 years is a school teacher, I supply her with enough money to live safely with our daughter. I know - unlike a lot of the married bar girls my wife is surrounded by in our estate - that she will be true to me and not stray and try to 'improve' her position. I am currently upgrading my house during this time to eventually sell it and finance her and our child moving to the UK. Some of us think longer term than the guy commenting. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Surelynot said:

He is an expert....we don't listen to experts in the UK.....unless we can pin the blame on them at a later date.

You can never blame the experts.  They change their mind at the drop of a hat and tell you it’s because they are open minded to what “science” is revealing to them.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya, I don't take the Thai government stats as any kind of gospel, but rather, a general indicator of which way the trends are heading up or down, and looking at the geographic spread of where cases are or aren't being reported.

I live in central BKK. So when I saw in the past 24 hours reported outbreaks at the Thong Lor and Ekkamai entertainment places along with a number of BKK private schools announcing temporary closures due to localized outbreaks, along with the Japanese ambassador and related parties being diagnosed, I took all that as a sign to ramp up my personal protective practices.

Thank You 

• Like 1

Just imagine all those people from BKK having parties in their home towns. Those who were previously safe will now be at risk and it will spread country wide. Also songkran with its liberal alcohol consumption is the best vector to spread a lot. Families partying with people from all over the country mixing. 

Go covid Go... i mean its almost as if they set the stage for mass infections all over the country. 

• Thanks 1

I'm located in Narathiwat, which is now colored orange according to the latest 'color scheme'. Pretty worrying already, especially as the misses and I plan on spending Songkran across the provincial border in Songkhla and I have planned a solo trip to Central Thailand in two weeks.

Keeping fingers crossed to see if the situation improves.

This could go on forever...... Someone coughs then shut the whole place down.......    Oh dear...... The fear's gone deep now......... Thirty years of dealing with diseases that medicine wouldn't even scratch happily mincing up and down most busy roads and back streets in Thailand and all of a sudden the whole gaff's been closed over a cold....... One that has a 98.9 % survival rate.........    I once had a rather nasty infection that lasted six months and knocked me out of action....... and i paid for it !     Run away, run away !   I wonder when people are going to realize that this things here to stay, and it's got mates as well...........   Oh, by the way, if you live long enough, you'll die........ That's for sure.......

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tominbkk said:

Kind of tired seeing that smug 'expert' all the time,.

To make a forecast for this, you don't need to be an expert.

It is just switching on the brain for 10 Seconds to see clear that the cases will rise up.

That is why the Europeans jump from one lockdown to the next. Nobody want to listen.

I stay in Singapore and can say, all done right here.

We can meet up to 8 person in one group in the restaurant. There is no extra space to the next 8 people group, means all pubs and restaurant are full as BC. (not before Christi, before Corona ;P)

Actual new cases are below 10 and mostly in Quarantine.

We use all the same app to trace via Bluetooth  possible risk. It is checked at every entry point of a mall that you have this app running. Singapore had a short time horrible numbers but they restricted for a short time and now everything is fine.

OK, they don't have an wide open green border to Myanmar for the daily "tourist" which are everywhere in the wet markets

7 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

So you want full lockdown untill forever ?? Or just open up and full vaccination for everybody ?? For me i choose just to open up and vaccinate everybody as will be the normal thing for the coming years vaccinations every year if not 2 times a year . 

Do you remember the time when diving was dangerous and sex not?

17 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

The longer the ASQs are on, the more the unelected "PM" and his soldiers, pockets are being filled, by hospitals, insurance companies, hotels etc. They are not interested in tourists coming or not. The Thai people did not vote them in, and are not going to vote them out.

Just now, possum1931 said:

and are not going to vote them out.

....and are not going to offered any chance of voting them out.

As much as I support the ground swell of young student activists they seem to be lacking any real momentum now.....too many old Thais 'happy' to stick with what they have got.....and too many laws that can be marshaled to protect the powers that be.

I can see the military staying in charge, in whatever form, for generations to come.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

They will ban all the bars and the entertainment industry immediately, but not Songcran. I wonder why.

The legal bars will close....the illegal ones (owned primarily by the police) will remain open and will now be packed as people will gravitate toward them (there are four on my soi).....or people will simply travel to the next district, which then runs the risk of further spreading the virus.

• Like 1

Reported less than one hour ago:

Another 250 cases of new infections; nearly 450 in the last two days.

Not looking good for Songkran or for any other time soon.

I heard yesterday that 4 cases in Chiang Mai. Not mind blowing but shows this covid is in more places NOW than people thought.

I wonder what the Authorities are going to do - pull out the proverbial...?

Edited by ChrisKC
typo

53 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Reported less than one hour ago:

Another 250 cases of new infections; nearly 450 in the last two days.

Not looking good for Songkran or for any other time soon.

I heard yesterday that 4 cases in Chiang Mai. Not mind blowing but shows this covid is in more places NOW than people thought.

I wonder what the Authorities are going to do - pull out the proverbial...?

Wife says local news is reporting cases in Chaiyaphum!!!!