I got a problem with the drink

• 1 month later...

It seems many use the same words I did for many years before finally doing the best thing I ever did in my life. I went to a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous and thank God I have made one day a time since Sept 16, 1978. Yes, it is a lot of work and think of how much effort you put into your trying to hide your problem. You can look up on the internet anywhere in the world and in most cases find meetings available. The choice is always yours. Good luck and God bless

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So many aywhole comments on this thread already...  A guy is asking for help... 

Why not either choose to offer help, or just stay silent ???

Op: Rehab can be expensive. Someone mentioned quarantine which isn’t a bad idea.

I think desdeash hit the nail on the head - easier said than done, find a hobby? 

As a starter, try going on some bike rides to the quiet areas...  

Make a hard and fast rule - avoid day time drinking.

If you do drink, stick to beer only, don’t hit spirits - this may help with the following day toxicity and panic issues. 

Well done with saying "just stay silent". I was asking myself also about the not serious answers!

I'm surprised nobody else suggested it, but if you do a search on "aa bangkok" you should get a bunch of listings of meetings and telephone numbers. I would suggest going to an "open" meeting and see if you'd enjoy hanging out with the people there. If you can't stand them, I'd recommend you try one more meeting (different meeting) before you decide they're not for you. Some AA groups have a lot of what are called "Big Book Nazis," people who insist all the answers you need are in the basic AA book. The first meeting I went to was a bad experience, but I was in an Army rehab program, so had to find some group I could stand, and my second meeting was all people just like the ones I hung out with in the bars. Don't be put off by "the God stuff." Most of the AA's I've known are also recovering from some kind of religious upbringing. You may not find AA congenial, lots of people don't, but it worked wonderfully for me.

• Like 1

I remember a wellness detox resort being advertised on koh chang island last yr. You can probably find it on google. I had a problem yrs ago drinking too much socially. I got off it somehow and sometimes have a beer now and then. It tastes so good after abstaining. 

Good luck

1 hour ago, Acharn said:

I'm surprised nobody else suggested it, but if you do a search on "aa bangkok" you should get a bunch of listings of meetings and telephone numbers. I would suggest going to an "open" meeting and see if you'd enjoy hanging out with the people there. If you can't stand them, I'd recommend you try one more meeting (different meeting) before you decide they're not for you. Some AA groups have a lot of what are called "Big Book Nazis," people who insist all the answers you need are in the basic AA book. The first meeting I went to was a bad experience, but I was in an Army rehab program, so had to find some group I could stand, and my second meeting was all people just like the ones I hung out with in the bars. Don't be put off by "the God stuff." Most of the AA's I've known are also recovering from some kind of religious upbringing. You may not find AA congenial, lots of people don't, but it worked wonderfully for me.

How could reading "Mien Kampf" keep people from drinking? Surely - Nazis are not permitted in AA?

I do not know where you are but there is a great detox/dry out clinic in Chiang Mai

& one run by Six Senses out of  Hua Hin

Charges from 1,400 to 3,500 Bht a day. That includes just about everything unless you need medication. But be warned they make you sign for a minimum of 12 days & you cannot leave or go out to buy anything. Both have a Doctor/Therapist available

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Yep, that's me too, and I have ZERO problem admitting it. If I didn't drink, and I don't drink every day, I would have lost my mind years ago living here. What people do here who don't have a beer god only knows, go to temples, feed soi dogs? Damn awful, boring sweatbox this place. God's waiting room, no less.

Bangkok's status for me has always been a city I get through as rapidly as I can, on my way to Chiang Mai, now Chiang Rai. I don't understand why any foreigner would want to live there, except to work.

I'd probably have to start some serious drinking if I was somehow trapped there.