Uncontested Divorce UK centric advice needed

zen123

My wife and I have decided to go through an uncontested divorce in Thailand as we were married 20 years ago at an Amphur in Bangkok. All should be amicable as I have already provided her with everything she needs to live a comfortable life in Thailand after all is done. She is presently in Thailand & has been since last summer whereas I'm in UK. Obviously it is not possible for me to go over there yet but I will as soon as I can. I would like to ask for some advice regarding the following

1/ When appearing before the Amphur do we have to inform them that the divorce is final with no strings attached with regards to both physical & liquid assets. Also would it be noted in the divorce documents.

2/ I'm assuming I would have to get the divorce papers translated and maybe authorised so where would I need to go to do this

3/ Once back in UK do I need to inform any specific authorities

Cheers

They know the divorce is final- you don't have to notify them of anything. It's up to you and wife to agree everything regarding property, money etc before signing. Nothing is noted unless you want it to be.

If there is a dispute it goes to family court.

My divorce papers were not translated, but go see the amphur before so you can find out what THEY require- Different amphurs have different rules.

You might want to get a copy and have it translated so YOU know what you are signing, but you'd have to do that before the actual divorce.

Unless you informed the UK authorities that you are married I don't see why you would have to. It may affect pension payments if they think you are still married.

On 4/9/2021 at 7:30 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

They know the divorce is final- you don't have to notify them of anything. It's up to you and wife to agree everything regarding property, money etc before signing. Nothing is noted unless you want it to be.

If there is a dispute it goes to family court.

My divorce papers were not translated, but go see the amphur before so you can find out what THEY require- Different amphurs have different rules.

You might want to get a copy and have it translated so YOU know what you are signing, but you'd have to do that before the actual divorce.

Unless you informed the UK authorities that you are married I don't see why you would have to. It may affect pension payments if they think you are still married.

Thanks for the reply. 

Regarding translation of the divorce documents. What I meant was after the the documents are signed I assume we are each issued a copy of the divorce certificate. It is that document I am referring to. I'm pretty sure that I would need to have it translated just in case I need to show it for whatever reason in the future. So where can this be done? 

17 hours ago, zen123 said:

Thanks for the reply. 

Regarding translation of the divorce documents. What I meant was after the the documents are signed I assume we are each issued a copy of the divorce certificate. It is that document I am referring to. I'm pretty sure that I would need to have it translated just in case I need to show it for whatever reason in the future. So where can this be done? 

Yes, you get a copy. I think mine cost 20 baht or something.

Up to you. After my divorce I e mailed a copy to the pension service in my country without getting it translated. They have official translators that will verify the documents, and they probably checked with the Thai government as well.

Best you check with any relevant government agencies in your country if necessary.

The same people that translate documents to get married will do the job or you could use a lawyer that does them.

• Like 1