Phanaeng Curry Named Best Stew in The World

webfact

Don't know about best, but makes my top 5 ish Thai dishes, as do the other curries/massaman dishes.   With few exceptions, the only Thai food I eat.   Partial to Yum Kung w/glass noodles, and somtam Thai also

But that's about it, and rarely order much else, unless one of those aren't available.  May get a sweet & sour, or Ginger chicken ... or western fare.

Rest of Thai food doesn't do much for me.  Kha moo or Pad Thai are last options if nothing else available.

Almost forgot Khao Soi, good for once or twice  a month.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, youngexpat said:

don't know how they are defining stew. In my world a stew is slow cooked so not a curry like  panang

Depends what kind of  phanaeng, if beef, it better be slow cooked, a stew.   Same with pork.

If having potato and or carrots in it, then it's also slow cooked.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Not the proper way of cooking it, nor is my variation a stew a stew either, just because I add potatoes, fish sauce, garlic Tabasco sauce and Worcester sauce to the 2 kg of chopped pork, 500 ml of coconut milk, 250 ml of water and  2 packets of Lobo Panang curry sauce.

Cook it for a couple of hours on a low gas, adjusting the flavour every taste test. Turn it off and either eat it at lunch time, that evening and the next day.

Yummy.

It works well for me and my 18 years old son loves it.

Quote :

A stew is a combination of solid food ingredients that have been cooked in liquid and served in the resultant gravy.

i.e. you cook in (s) liquids

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Quote :

A stew is a combination of solid food ingredients that have been cooked in liquid and served in the resultant gravy.

i.e. you cook in (s) liquids

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry

A curry is a dish with a sauce seasoned with spices, mainly associated with South Asian cuisine.[1][2] In southern India, leaves from the curry tree may be included.[3][4][5]

There are many varieties of curry. The choice of spices for each dish in traditional cuisine depends on regional cultural tradition and personal preferences. Such dishes have names that refer to their ingredients, spicing, and cooking methods.[6] Outside the Indian subcontinent, a curry is a dish from Southeast Asia which uses coconut milk or spice pastes, commonly eaten over rice.[7] Curries may contain fish, meat, poultry, or shellfish, either alone or in combination with vegetables. Others are vegetarian.

Dry curries are cooked using small amounts of liquid, which is allowed to evaporate, leaving the other ingredients coated with the spice mixture. Wet curries contain significant amounts of sauce or gravy based on broth, coconut cream or coconut milk, dairy cream or yogurt, or legume purée, sautéed crushed onion, or tomato purée.

I made part of the text bold and underlined it.

There is more information in the link.

Both wet and dry curries are cooked in a liquid and neither are called stew.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The westernised version in the photo looks great.  The more authentic version contains those horrible, hard 'pea-shaped' things and is invariably over-spiced.

Due to its spice (even in the western version) it should be called a curry not a stew.

And probably also contains small egg plans