Anyone been to/lived in Nakhon Si Thammarat?

Mr5555

On 4/9/2021 at 3:28 PM, Nick in Thailand said:

This is a shame to read. Especially less friendly locals. There seems to be some stunning nature that would make nice weekend trips though, would you agree? 

The beach areas are beautiful with some magnificent  quality sand and if clean and cared for, would be  best in the world class.  The inshore areas are similar to what you see when driving through Surat Thani and Krabi.  Yes, I believe    the area is worth a weekend trip.  

On 4/10/2021 at 3:49 AM, soi3eddie said:

What? OK the NST Thais are a bit hot headed (I was married to one for 14 years) but I have no idea where you get your info. Not from personal experience I suggest. The area is very friendly and welcoming although few there will speak English. There is NO Muslim violence but some great southern food. I would often get up before sunrise and ride my bicycle to the foothills of Khao Luang National park and the locals would greet me and offer coffee during my ride. Never had to pay. Lovely people.  This was 2001 to 2014. Was there several times since and nothing changed for the worse.

I have always found Thais in the south to be plenty friendly. I agree, they can be hot headed, like alot of southern people elsewhere. But, they are kind and there is no insurgency related violence there. That is mostly in Narathiwat, Yala, and Pattani. I also lived in the south for many years on Samui, and visited this area often. Loved it. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 11:07 PM, soi3eddie said:

Yes there are a lot of gun holders. Don't <deleted> them off and you'll be fine.

I always thought NST was where you went if you wanted a hired killer ...

I prefer the south too.  Generally a better attitude toward farang, and the further you get away from spots that depend on tourism the better.  A good deal of the politics and scandal from up north doesn't affect them: for instance, during the redshirt stuff there were no political billboards and the attitude seemed to be that no one cared about it.   I recall reading in the newspaper back then that someone tried to establish a "redshirt village" somewhere down there and it failed for lack of interest, or perhaps lack of trust.  I knew a freelancer who would come up to Bkk for a few weeks at a time and go home and live on what she earned.  And she did well, she had a good personality and English skills were very good (not bad looking either).  She was from NST, told me it was a mafia town.  I suspected that was why she didn't "work" down there.  I suspect the corruption is contraband, protection, gambling etc, and the violence is the gangs killing each other, punishing entrepreneurs who refuse their shakedowns, etc.

The Muslim unpleasantness is in that piece of Thailand along the east coast between Hat Yai and the Malaysian border.  Sad.  I recall when the bus station in Hat Yai was an open area, but when the bombings started they put up a wall.

Once took an overnight train from down there to Bkk, had two middle-aged aunties from NST looking out for me on the trip, real sweethearts.

Never saw any incidents concerning the Moslem problem in NST. 

Heard about some shootings, but this happen all over Thailand. If you don't get involved in any "Mafia business", you will be safe in NST. 

Edited by PeachCH