Flood Disaster In North; Bangkok Braces For High Waters

george

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know all a bit longterm future thinking, but as you invest your money, you want to know

if the investment is still here and useable after any time, of course. :D

But if they keep on pumping the groundwater below us, and we also for this sink here

every year a view cm, I guess just sound's logical to me (plus global warming = rising sea levels)

that Bangkok sooner or later will be Venice in Asia :D

this of course you get to hear, when the investment is already done. :D

Anyhow let's stay in Venice of Asia, and do are best here, as some poster nicely

advised me to do so.

Enjoy life, but we really should take care of our planet and I hope education

in Asia will catch here too, so people also understand this here also a bit more.

:o

Edited by digitalfreak

thanks to careless people like you (guess majority of the world), we'll all be sending our sons and daughters and their children into a lot of trouble. Great let's continue all like this, wait until the problem hit's our face. :D

This is exactly what we should try to teach ourselves and especially the Thai people. Let's start thinking ahead and stop being stupid! :D

welcome aboard ,

relax , slow down and smell the roses , you have the right ideas ,

but

no idea of the size of the mountain ............................yet

Do you care about the size of the mountain, if you now it's going to hit your head anyway? :D

Andy,

Whilst you bring up some points of concern, I don't think the problem is anywhere near as severe as you presume. During my first trip to Bangkok(but but first time to thailand) in april 1985, there was flooding that put sukumvit road 4 feet underwater....the locals were laughing it up and saying that it was much worse a couple of years earlier.

Thailand is full of rich fertile land and has always, and always will be, prone to flooding.

Will global warming further impact on bkk and thailand? Well this is question for all citizens of the planet, not just thailand.

don't worry too much andy, don't rush to sell your condo, come and enjoy thailand...it'll be here for some time yet!

The bloodied tiger from chiang mai

Well if my condo would be in Chiang Mai, I guess the advise to enjoy it, would even be easier, as you are very off-shot from any sea-levels there :D

anyhow you are right, keep our heads up, which I always do, but just was wondering if Thai Visa users, also ignore this fact as most medias in Thailand, don't really go after this rather alarming story/fact. Especially that they pump water underground and let us sink also for this further more.

This I was very surprised to hear.

Let's hope and enjoy meanwhile but try to study the problems and try to find solutions if possible ....and not let our brains be washed out with the next bar girl, as some guys suggest here. :o

Edited by digitalfreak

Good day folks,

I don't want to create further panic or so, but a long-term question for all investors and residence here in Thailand, who also want to stay here for good, for life-time (as I do) but want to see this city being fixed by it's problems (less traffic, less noise, more green, more parks etc.) and in the long-term mostly by FLOOD-PROBLEMS from the North as well from the South by the rising sea levels and wind and weather patterns shifting.

I bought an apartment last year in Bangkok, with all my savings. Now with this weather pattern change and major global warming (which is more and more to be proved by most serious scientists), mixed with I believe currently non counteracting politicians (for the long term flood problems) don't you guys it's best to sell any condominium or property here based in Bangkok and find a new place to put ones money?

I mean even Khun Smith who predicted the Tsunamie several years before it really happened, just recently said:

"That Bangkok will be under water in 20 years and the government is not listening"

Read here: http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SP41869.htm

Are you guys leaving your investments in the hands of those politicians, who mostly only think about themselves (shuffle money abroad and try to buy football clubs etc. :D). Why nobody is listening to Khun Smith and really deal with this problem??

Now we will have floods already in May/June instead of September. How will Bangkok be in 5 years if noone is doing something, or not enough

than they are doing currently?

I.m really thinking about to sell my condo (if possible at all) again and go back to rent only, so the other money stay's not in flood disaester zone!

Long-term of course. I don't think it will be a big problem for people in the city in the next 5-10 years, but see already the problems the upcountry people have each year. I feel sorry for them, they mostly have to let the Chay Phraya River be releaved in order to protect mighty Bangkok but they then hve to life in yearly floods to save our heads here in the capital.

No other solution?

Is there anything at all politicians could do?

What are your opinions and long-term plans?

Love Bangkok and Thailand :o

Nice day

Andy

:o

I hope you guys beleive all that climate change hype! Al Gore has done a nice job with his little docu flic which is basically a political commercial. And everybody feeling important is jumping on that Hollywood bandwagon. "Serious Scientists"! Who is a serious scientist? There are renowned climatologists and physicists that do not see scientific evidence of a man-made climate change. The climate changes constantly, and not every deviation of an average is a sure sign of a climatic catastrophe. Remember the doomsday Club of Rome and their end of the world?

But let the wolfs howl and the politicans sell the story; they sell just about any story that buys them votes.

Now if any of you readers and condo-owners in Bangkok or in Thailand, should you be willing to buy the climate change-hype, then I would be willing to buy your condo. And as - in your view - this climate change is such a sure thing, you understand that I excpect an justifyable discount. Well, Bangkok is going down the drain, and who is willing to invest in sewers these days...

Make me a flooded offer, and I will come up with the cash to buy you out!

Wooty the deviate

thanks to careless people like you (guess majority of the world), we'll all be sending our sons and daughters and their children into a lot of trouble. Great let's continue all like this, wait until the problem hit's our face. :o

This is exactly what we should try to teach ourselves and especially the Thai people. Let's start thinking ahead and stop being stupid! :D

welcome aboard ,

relax , slow down and smell the roses , you have the right ideas ,

but

no idea of the size of the mountain ............................yet

The sea level is increasing at a rate of 2mm per year, that's 40mm or 1.57 inches in 20 years. Accordingly, it's not GW or sea level increase that's the problem, it's the 4 inches per year sinking rate due to pumping out of underground water without replacing it causing BKK to lose the war.

Think Holland, not GW>

But if they keep on pumping the groundwater below us, and we also for this sink here

every year a view cm, I guess just sound's logical to me (plus global warming = rising sea levels)

that Bangkok sooner or later will be Venice in Asia :o

Bangkok has already been known as the Venice of Asia so that's nothing new. Nobody really talks about it like that anymore since they filled in a lot of the canals to make more land. A lot of cities around the world have done this in the past. One example is Boston, Massachusetts in the U.S. They started doing it 200 years ago. Of course this fact doesn't mean we should worry about Bangkok. It certainly doesn't seem the sturdiest city, does it?

Anyone ever hear of that church song for kids, "The wise man built his house upon the rock, the foolish man built his house upon the sand, etc."?

I saw them dredging the klong in Banglampu a few months ago. It's not like they're doing zilch really, even with an interim government.

You are right. (This news was from September 1006.)

http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=184892

Bangkok’s underground drainage tunnel will be opened in September next year

Bangkok’s underground drainage tunnel being built as part of a long-term flood prevention plan will be opened in September next year.

Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin (อภิรักษ์ โกษะโยธิน) said the tunnel, which is 35 metres deep into the ground, will drain water from Makkasan pond into the Chao Phraya river. Construction costs about two billion baht, Mr. Apirak said.

He said the tunnel will help prevent flooding in the inner city and several main roads because it has the capacity to pump 45 million cubic meters of water per second.

I read it from somewhere else (a Thai source) that the tunnel is 5 meters wide in diameter and will be 5.1 km long (running from Lad Plao to Prakanong.)

i Agree..........but not by leaving Thailand.

Look....... i am dead serious about his........

I use too work for as "consultent" for a Spin-doctor who was personal adviser to a politician.

to the point.

Why don't we....farangs....get "together" and form/create a strong lobby to express our grieves in Thai politics??????????

I am sure that amongst us there must be Thaivisa mebers/non members that can form such a political lobby to recon with

I my case....treu!!!!!

my health provend me from entering that arena again

( Thats wy i can stay here with my pension!)

up to you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hgma

Flood disaster in north; Bangkok braces for high waters

UTTARADIT: -- The northern province of Uttaradit has declared four districts as disaster zones due to flooding, while Bangkok residents brace for possible flood caused by high tide and heavy rainfall.

Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation chief Nithipat Pimpiriyakul, said that flooding triggered by incessant rain prompted provincial authorities to declare four districts, including the provincial seat, as disaster zones.

The declaration means that the province will be able to dispurse its local budget of Bt50 million to help flood victims immediately.

The province also warned local residents to be aware of landslides and further flooding.

Meanwhile, in Bangkok, Hydrograpic Department deputy director Nakhon Thanuwong said that the unusual overflowing of the Chao Phraya river on Thursday signaled an abrupt break from seasonal weather patterns, as high tides normally occur in September, but has happened sooner this year because of several circumstances.

Unseasonal high tides, run-off from the north, and heavy rainfall, Rear Admiral Nakhon said, together with strong southwesterly winds which have blown sea water into the river, means that the normal outflow from the Chao Phraya to the sea is temporarily not happening.

Water levels in the Chao Phraya river in Bangkok are expected to remain high until next week, so residents of low-lying areas must brace for possible flooding.

Deputy Bangkok governor Wanlop Suwandee said there are 14 flood-prone locations in Bangkok, so people living alongside the Chao Phraya river, the Bangkok Noi and Mahasawat canals, and in particular those living outside the flood-prevention zone should move their belongings to higher ground.

--TNA 2007-05-18

"45 million cubic meters of water per second"

Sounds like somebody flunked physics. That would take, oh maybe a million diesel driven pumps.

No one is obliged to believe that people are screwing up the planet. But you can count on BKK quality of life getting worse before it gets better.

thanks to careless people like you (guess majority of the world), we'll all be sending our sons and daughters and their children into a lot of trouble. Great let's continue all like this, wait until the problem hit's our face. :o

The Scientists are abandoning the man made global warming ship. A few of the more rabid and long term are French scientist DR. Claude Allegre who was sounding the claxon 20 years ago has sifted position, Canadian Dr. Bruno Wiskel Univ. of Alberta, who a few years back built a "Kyoto" home in honor of the UN accord has now authored the book "The Emporers new Climate,"Dubuking the Myth of Global Warming. Dr. Nir Shaviv a top Isreali scientist. Australian Dr. David Evans, Canadian Dr. Tad Murty, Dr. David Bellamy,a UK enviormental lecturer, Dr. Chris de Freitas, Univ of Aukland NZ, Dr Reid Bryson of the US, Dr, Zbigniew Jaworowski, UN scientist et al

Listing all the converts away from manmade warming bandwagon is a quite lengthy process needless to say. Most simply say the science is faulty and what ever the mechanism causing warming it isn't what the press and antiwestern pundits are decrying. Planck inst of Germany and top Russians scientists simply say the sun is hotter, I like that idea as it allows for the reason that Mars and a couple of other planets are getting warmer.

So while the Earth might be gaining a bit of heat, theres no reason for people to go Al Gore. Remember the warming period at the end of the Dark Ages brought us into the middle ages, allowing a longer growth period for food, allowing for more free time to expand mans knowledge, rather than scrabbling for food only.

I think most people (apart from the ones with their heads up their bums :D ) agree that Earth is warming up. People just don't agree about the cause and rate of it. The Gore fanboys seek causality in CO2 emission. Loads of "proper" scientists blame the sun (for an interesting angle on this, watch "The great Global Warming Swindle"). That things will change is clear. How we deal with the changes is the real challenge. Goverments are meant to anticipate and take precautionary measures, and this makes things interesting as we all know how capable certain goverments are of this....

Too true, I too watched 'The great global warming swindle', certainly an eye-opener. For those of you who haven't yet,

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=44...=global+warming

Co2 emissions following temperature rises, not vice-versa, scientists jumping on the band-wagon because its the only way they can get funding etc, an hour and fifteen minutes but nonetheless very interesting viewing.

capacity to pump 45 million cubic meters of water per second.

I think there was maybe a translation error there - else the mind is boggled :o

It could be. The number does look suspicious. It could be per hour or something.

By the way, according to Thairath, this is the biggest amount of rain Bagnkok has experienced in 30 years. Perhaps this is why it's pretty bad this year.

Edited by ThaiGoon

BMA tackles rising water

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) officials were laying sandbags at 14 locations along the Chao Phraya River as the water level moved up 1.95 meters last night (May 18).

The Hydrographic Department says several factors are causing the water level of the Chao Phraya River to rise, such as heavy rain and the water flower from the North. The department says such phenomenon has happened every year, but this year, it takes place sooner than usual.

The Deputy Governor of Bangkok, Mr. Wallop Suwandee, says some risky areas include Phra Arthit Rd., Tha Phra Chan Rd., Song Wad Rd., areas nearby Sanghee Bridge, and Yaowarat Rd. Last night at 9 PM, the water level of the Chao Phraya River increased 1.95 meters.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 May 2007

"If nothing is done, Bangkok will be at least 50 centimetres to one metre under water"

Oh well I guess it's back to the SkyTrain, and I just bought a Subway pass:-( Traffic should be severly reduced and with no underground parking at Emporium I'll be forced back to Gaysorn:-( where the prices are higher. On the plus side Big C on Suksawat still has a river pier so maybe I will be able to get a boat from the new Silom Pier.

I believe the reason the Thais moved their capital to Bangkok was that it was a swamp and the Bumese war elephants couldn't operate in a swamp. So it should be no suprise that it is sinking under the weight of capitalism. Apart from commerce would it really be a negative to move out to Rayong or somewhere similar.

"If nothing is done, Bangkok will be at least 50 centimetres to one metre under water"

Oh well I guess it's back to the SkyTrain, and I just bought a Subway pass:-( Traffic should be severly reduced and with no underground parking at Emporium I'll be forced back to Gaysorn:-( where the prices are higher. On the plus side Big C on Suksawat still has a river pier so maybe I will be able to get a boat from the new Silom Pier.

I believe the reason the Thais moved their capital to Bangkok was that it was a swamp and the Bumese war elephants couldn't operate in a swamp. So it should be no suprise that it is sinking under the weight of capitalism. Apart from commerce would it really be a negative to move out to Rayong or somewhere similar.

I think you got it right, and the goverment could build a new capitol at khao yai, giving thousands jobs with better air quality. And it could be done greem (no aircon)

Now with this weather pattern change and major global warming (which is more and more to be proved by most serious scientists),

Andy

Andy, it's important to remember:

1. Science does not work by consensus --- in fact, the "consensus of scientists" has been proved wrong time and time again.

2. Many, possibly most, scientists agree that there has been a warming trend over the past N years. However, nobody knows if this is caused by CO2 increase (which is a LAGGING indicator), and/or by humans. Please note that the polar ice caps have been diminishing on Mars, too.

3. The UN is a pustulent joke. Buried in its recent climate report was the admission that the report was published BEFORE the scientific studies on which it was supposedly based were complete. Furthermore, the report contains language saying that revisions which disagreed with the report's summary and conclusions were verboten.

I know this doesn't help you much with your planning re your apartment. But looking to the government --- any government --- to help you is a bad bet. K. Smith predicted a tsunami 20 years before one occurred. If water levels in Bangkok rise, it will be because of planetary forces over which governments can be trusted to do exactly the wrong thing.

Finally, I think reducing fossil fuel consumption is a fine idea --- because it diminishes dependence on Middle Eastern oil. Aren't you a little sick of the wretched excess of wealth on display in Dubai? Sorry to wander off topic. We will now return to our regularly scheduled kvetching.

Our house had three feet of water in it last October, looks like it might be earlier this year. Time to move everything upstairs again I guess no point in worrying about it as you aint going to stop it when it comes. :o

Bangkok braces for possible floods from high tides

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok municipality has built sandbag embankments in flood-prone areas along the Chao Phraya river to brace for possible flooding caused by unseasonal high tides.

Meanwhile, flood water in the northern province of Phichit has risen rapidly, as much as two metres in some locales, due to forest run-off and heavy rainfall.

In the Thai capital, Drainage and Sewerage Department deputy director Sanya Chenimit, said that about 400,000 sandbags have been placed at 14 flood-prone areas along the Chao Phraya river to as a line of defense to prevent flooding.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration warned people living outside the capital's flood prevention zone, along Bangkok Noi and Mahasawat canals, to be on alert for flood, when the water level in the Chao Phraya was expected to reach its peak at 1.95 metres above sea level at 10.30 pm Saturday.

Meanwhile, farmers in Phichit's Samngam district, hit by floods some two metres deep have drained floodwater from their paddy fields into the Yom river to reduce the damage.

About 2,800 acres of paddy fields have been damaged, and farmers fear that they will be unable to pay back their investment loans.

In Uthai Thani, soldiers from a military mobile development unit are helping villages reconstruct a bridge crossing the Kwaetakdad River in Tabtan district. The bridge, connecting two sub-districts, was destroyed by flash flood. Relief supplies have been distributed to flood victims in the vicinity.

Thailand's Meteorological Department said that the influence of the southwest monsoon over Thailand and the Andaman Sea will cause more heavy rain, particularly in the north.

--TNA 2007-05-19

Bangkok braces for possible floods from high tides

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok municipality has built sandbag embankments in flood-prone areas along the Chao Phraya river to brace for possible flooding caused by unseasonal high tides.

Meanwhile, flood water in the northern province of Phichit has risen rapidly, as much as two metres in some locales, due to forest run-off and heavy rainfall.

In the Thai capital, Drainage and Sewerage Department deputy director Sanya Chenimit, said that about 400,000 sandbags have been placed at 14 flood-prone areas along the Chao Phraya river to as a line of defense to prevent flooding.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration warned people living outside the capital's flood prevention zone, along Bangkok Noi and Mahasawat canals, to be on alert for flood, when the water level in the Chao Phraya was expected to reach its peak at 1.95 metres above sea level at 10.30 pm Saturday.

Meanwhile, farmers in Phichit's Samngam district, hit by floods some two metres deep have drained floodwater from their paddy fields into the Yom river to reduce the damage.

About 2,800 acres of paddy fields have been damaged, and farmers fear that they will be unable to pay back their investment loans.

In Uthai Thani, soldiers from a military mobile development unit are helping villages reconstruct a bridge crossing the Kwaetakdad River in Tabtan district. The bridge, connecting two sub-districts, was destroyed by flash flood. Relief supplies have been distributed to flood victims in the vicinity.

Thailand's Meteorological Department said that the influence of the southwest monsoon over Thailand and the Andaman Sea will cause more heavy rain, particularly in the north.

--TNA 2007-05-19

but I've been overheating and drowning in Bkk for years

"The Hydrographic Department says several factors are causing the water level of the Chao Phraya River to rise, such as heavy rain and the water flower from the North."

Gee, who'da thought.

No,mate, blame it on the melting Antarctic glaciers....................Oh, wait a minute,didn't one of the Thai scientific intelligentsia comment that melting glaciers and rising ocean levels won't affect Thailand? ...................................It's too far away from Antarctica ?

Yep, scientific fact. :o