Expenses To Build New House?

We are just going through this in Sattahip for the first time. Big ones might be supplying water, electricity to the house and exterior wall or fence. Check if parking area and if you want it, a concrete area around the house is included in your quote. Also is water tank and pump included? You will have to buy burglar bars and screens yourself. Of course phone, TV - cable or whatever and landscaping including grading.

If you don't specify the builder may well supply the abolute cheapest lighting, plumbling fixtures, doors, tiles, paint and everything else that he find. The costs should all be spelled out (bedroom door - 6,000 baht, etc), or deducted and you buy all that stuff yourself.

Is that what you mean or have I misunderstood?

Peter

Im looking to build a new house on 54sq wah already have the quote for land which is 350k and house cost to build is 1.8m. besides these 2 expenses what other expenses will i be looking at?

Im looking to build a new house on 54sq wah already have the quote for land which is 350k and house cost to build is 1.8m. besides these 2 expenses what other expenses will i be looking at?

House price should be broken down as to cost of cement footing, brick work with amount and cost of brick, iron work for roof, cost of roof, plumbing costs and what is provided at this cost, electrial work etc. etc. 1,800,000 for a one floor house on 54 SW is kind of pricey for up here in Chaing Mai. You won't have to worry about garden area as this is a very small lot size. Expect to pay for everything that is not specified in the plans plus anything the builder can dream up to add in. Get at least 3 quotes on the house plans in writing.

I suggest you get the list of building materials list as specific as possible and then pay to have the list and any building contract translated into English or your Native language. The two other replies were right on target.

It is not difficult to obtain a "building permit" in your name, even easier in your wife's name from the Land Planning office or other department depending on if you live in a village, small town or larger City. It will enable you to have a smoother time with the water department, electric department and any insurance claim.

Check in advance with the electric department on a temporary electric meter and on when you can switch to a permanent electric meter. The rate is approximately 25% higher for the "temporary electric meter". Most all of the government and utility departments you will deal with have web sites in English and in Thai which can give you a real idea of many costs.

Do not forget to pay the annual "land property tax" on land plots for residential housing. It is a minor amount for the lot size you mention, less than the cost of one beer per YEAR. It seems to me that paying for government fees and filing all of the papers in advance through "proper" channels is far less expensive than trying to "slide" or "use a connection". If you can be on site I suggest you WRITE DOWN the readings on your electric and water meter every day. You can be in for a rude shock on "misread" meters, and if you have no proof on a daily basis of your true usage you might have to pay the high utility bill.

I have seen many comfortable homes built by village builders in rural Thailand for 350,000 baht without air conditioning or Western appliances. I have seen very attractive two bedroom homes with air conditioning, good roof tiles and lower end Western appliances for slightly under one million baht.

Just remember your entire home will cost LESS to BUILD than the Government Planning Fees and Building Permit fees on a 4 bedroom home in any town in California.

Good luck.

Kamala Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Mike

Sounds like the man that gave you that quote is one hel_l of a fisherman! 4 Marlins a year maybe?

For 1 million in Sattahib Bang Sare They can build you a house 100twah's worth long & wide with smurphy western style kitchen a Bathtub(large) & a small built in pool!(very small).

Chiang Mai is very inexpensive. My Neighbor that just sold his house in Pattaya paid 1.6 mill. for a house in Chiang Mai that is about 80 twah in size(dimentions on edge to edge of house) on a 200 twah lot. It came with a killer kitchen Modern chopping block detatched counter .oven-stove & microwave & nice upgrade cabinets his & hers bathrooms. 3 bedroom 2 air cons.Vinyl coated sliders A bar for entertaining & enough room in the carport for 3 cars & a couple bikes. It is 1 year 7 months old.

Not sure what type of pad your building but I would definitely get 3 bids to see if this builder is real. Besides that way you can select the best deal & go with the builder that feels right!

Chiang Mai is dirt cheap compared to Pattaya & the building prices are lower as well.The fixtures are about the same.

When I was younger I built custom homes in the U.S. & also was a commercial fisherman in Hawaii for 11 years.The contractor strikes me as someone that is looking for a fish to fry!

I could be wrong you might have a bad ass plan,but always good to get more bids, so it is not buy now cry later. Hope whomever you choose I hope he does you right!!! Also I agree with the other posters to get an itemized acct of what he is putting in the house so he doesn't throw in a new Motorcycle & a stereo for his house on you dime. :o

beardog

Edited by Beardog