Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

15 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I looked on that site. 

I didn't need evidence of donations to anyone. 

Did not need 5 copies of anything. 

Did not need to show income, just my husbands. 

The interview at the police office was in thai because I was able to speak Thai. But for those that couldn't, the officers tried to communicate in English or translated through the Thai spouse. Why do people make things sound so complicated. 

I did not realize that your were a foreign woman married to a Thai man. Sorry. The process is much simpler than if you are a foreign man married to a Thai woman (my case). This is because you are applying as if you were the property of your husband. Sounds awful I know, but that is the way it is. I believe they also refer to the way you obtain citizenship differently too.      

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

I did not realize that your were a foreign woman married to a Thai man. Sorry. The process is much simpler than if you are a foreign man married to a Thai woman (my case). This is because you are applying as if you were the property of your husband. Sounds awful I know, but that is the way it is. I believe they also refer to the way you obtain citizenship differently too.      

Oh ship my secret is out. I don't mind being the property of anyone at all, if that will mean no more yearly immigration visits and a job at tesco lotus. I got a small trouble with the court a while back. I was teaching in my home after school. Someone from the moe said I was a non formal school. But of course I am not. Still I lost in the court. 

Will that effect my citizenship, do you know? ??

18 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Oh ship my secret is out. I don't mind being the property of anyone at all, if that will mean no more yearly immigration visits and a job at tesco lotus. I got a small trouble with the court a while back. I was teaching in my home after school. Someone from the moe said I was a non formal school. But of course I am not. Still I lost in the court. 

Will that effect my citizenship, do you know? ??

For men, you must not have a criminal record. I assume it would be the same for women but am not sure. And I am not sure whether it covers the whole gamut of criminal offences. 

15 hours ago, GarryP said:

For men, you must not have a criminal record. I assume it would be the same for women but am not sure. And I am not sure whether it covers the whole gamut of criminal offences. 

At my MRI I interview there was a man who had a criminal record that was working with out a work permit.  Since he was clearly  passed by the SB it means a minor offence like that is not a  bar to citizenship   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nickcar said:

At my MRI I interview there was a man who had a criminal record that was working with out a work permit.  Since he was clearly  passed by the SB it means a minor offence like that is not a  bar to citizenship   

So petty offences are not a hindrance then. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nickcar said:

Thank you for that. I will wait and see. 

7 hours ago, CanadianGirl2 said:

My interview with the NIA was at my house.

While I held address in Bangkok, the NIA officers were so kind to meet us at the office of the Provincial Administrative Organisation in the province where I worked and lived. 

On 10/17/2016 at 2:27 PM, Arkady said:

Not necessary.  People have successfully applied for citizenship the day after getting in a tabian baan. There is no seasoning requirement.  

Arkady, do you or any of the other experts know if this is this explicitly stated in a ministerial regulation?

Or, if there are examples from this forum or elsewhere of people successfully applying immediately after being added to a tabien baan?

I was added to the house book last year when I received PR. I tried to apply today (outside of BKK) based on marriage and children.

The reason given for not accepting my application was that a minimum of two years on a tabien baan is a mandatory requirement.

The officer said blue book or yellow book and changes of addresses do not matter, but at least two years house book tenure is required at the time of application.

11 minutes ago, Andrew Eldritch said:

Arkady, do you or any of the other experts know if this is this explicitly stated in a ministerial regulation?

Or, if there are examples from this forum or elsewhere of people successfully applying immediately after being added to a tabien baan?

I was added to the house book last year when I received PR. I tried to apply today (outside of BKK) based on marriage and children.

The reason given for not accepting my application was that a minimum of two years on a tabien baan is a mandatory requirement.

The officer said blue book or yellow book and changes of addresses do not matter, but at least two years house book tenure is required at the time of application.

I applied based on marriage to a Thai, not PR. I was on a yellow tabien baan only 6 months when I applied. I applied in 2011 if I recall correctly. I do not know if regulations have since changed or it is a different requirement if based on PR. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GarryP said:

I applied based on marriage to a Thai, not PR. I was on a yellow tabien baan only 6 months when I applied. I applied in 2011 if I recall correctly. I do not know if regulations have since changed or it is a different requirement if based on PR. 

Just to add to this, I was on the yellow book for 9 months when I applied for citizenship in 2015.

The only requirements were that you had to be married to a Thai for 3 years or 1 year if you have children together. No requirements for how long you have been living in Thailand or how long you have been in a yellow book. 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2016 at 7:37 PM, Andrew Eldritch said:

You can look back through this thread but I recall one of the ladies married to a Thai saying she applied the day after getting a yellow tabien baan.

On 11/15/2016 at 2:32 PM, GarryP said:

As a woman married to a Thai you apply under Section 9 of the Act, rather than Section 10,. and the process is referred to as, "applying to adopt the citizenship of a Thai husband" (my translation), rather than naturalisation.   This a hangover from the days when most countries, including the enlightened UK and USA, as well as Thailand automatically cancelled the citizenship of women (but not men) who married aliens.  Therefore it was important to have an expedited system for processing citizenship applications of alien women married to your nationals, so as to avoid rendering them stateless.  If you are old enough to remember, you will be aware that British citizens until 1981 could marry a Thai woman (or other alien) abroad and take her to the embassy to apply for her British citizenship and passport immediately after registering the marriage.   Thailand is just very slow at amending laws to catch up with the times. 

I don't think a minor offence that doesn't result in a prison sentence will bar you from applying for citizenship.  However, this is not specified in the Act, which only calls for "good behaviour".  Looking from another perspective,  although not directly comparable,  revocation of acquired Thai citizenship for bad behaviour is normally only done on the order of a court, after someone has been convicted of a serious offence lilke drug smuggling, or if they have been convicted of a similar offence overseas.   Bear in mind though that in Thai legal considerations, it is always possible for different interpretations of the same law in totally similar cases.  I would advise being upfront with SB about your situation and they can advise you. 

• Like 1

I had the MOI interview 3 months ago and I'm waiting to be called for the oath of allegiance. I placed a call to my lawyer yesterday to inquire about the status. She seems to think that nothing will progress until there is a new official head of state. Can any of the more informed members of the forum clarify this? Does it mean that all applicants at the oath stage or beyond are now in a state of limbo? I hope this post doesn't break any rules as it wasn't intended to.

36 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

I had the MOI interview 3 months ago and I'm waiting to be called for the oath of allegiance.

Here's my timeline. Hope it helps. I belong to the 28 January 2016 approval batch. 

After the MOI-interview in November 2013 it took 1 year and 5 months for MOI approval. After that it took 2 months for approval by H.M. The King. After that it took 3 months before I was invited to do the Oath of Allegiance at SB. Almost 4 months later the announcement appeared in the Royal Gazette.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Obviously at the moment we're in the realm of extraordinary events within most people's lifetimes in Thailand. I just wanted to find out if my lawyer's statement was correct that nothing will now progress until after the coronation. It doesn't really make much difference just more waiting and I guess patience is a virtue.

10 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

Thanks for the reply. Obviously at the moment we're in the realm of extraordinary events within most people's lifetimes in Thailand. I just wanted to find out if my lawyer's statement was correct that nothing will now progress until after the coronation. It doesn't really make much difference just more waiting and I guess patience is a virtue.

It will not have to wait until the coronation. Only until the prince ascends to the throne which is expect to happen soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Big Guns said:

I don't know about that. 

I just got called in for my big interview on the 28th of this month. I only applied about 8 months. Fast and simple. I was told after the interview, I will know in about 5 months. 

Does anyone have any tips for the interview. 

23 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I don't know about that. 

I just got called in for my big interview on the 28th of this month. I only applied about 8 months. Fast and simple. I was told after the interview, I will know in about 5 months. 

That is extremely quick. Sorry no tips, but wish you all the best.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I don't know about that. 

Look smart and wear your best suit, shirt and tie. Be prepared for questions from a large panel in a u shaped seating arrangement with yourself at one end. Be prepared for a long wait as applicants with Thai wives were last to be interviewed at the session I attended. Be very polite.

1 hour ago, Big Guns said:

Look smart and wear your best suit, shirt and tie. Be prepared for questions from a large panel in a u shaped seating arrangement with yourself at one end. Be prepared for a long wait as applicants with Thai wives were last to be interviewed at the session I attended. Be very polite.

What kind of questions do they ask? ??

Surprisingly, a lot of candidates looked rather scruffy at the interviews I went to. Very few had jackets or ties and one was in jeans. A Taiwanese guy and myself were the only ones in suits.  Some of the Thai wives were also not very 'politely' dressed. That makes it easy to stand out from the crowd by being smartly dressed in a business suit.  It is not much effort and makes a good impression in what we know to be very much a form over substance society where it is considered disrespectful to be sloppily dressed in front of 'puu yai'.

Yep - my experience too

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• 2 weeks later...

I'm submitting the documents as soon as I can to the Special Branch in the provinces.

I have the 3 years tax requirements and Work Permit.

My question is this - what happens if I quit my job while waiting for the decision?

Is there any requirement that one must remain in the same job for the entire process?