Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Given that it can take 5-7 years to get through this, do you have to remain employed all the way through, or is it just a matter of being qualifed at the time of application (so you could stop working at a certain point in the process) ?

Given that it can take 5-7 years to get through this, do you have to remain employed all the way through, or is it just a matter of being qualifed at the time of application (so you could stop working at a certain point in the process) ?

You are supposed to remain employed throughout. However, I don't recall them checking my work permit after I had gone through all the interviews.

You are supposed to remain employed throughout. However, I don't recall them checking my work permit after I had gone through all the interviews.

Same here. Last time it was checked was during the big interview at BORA/ DOPA.

Same here. Last time it was checked was during the big interview at BORA/ DOPA.

My WP was checked 10 days before my interview with the little committee. Like several others I actually got a call from the head of the nationality section on my mobile asking me to come to the office with my current WP and old WP from previous job. What had happened was that SB had neglected to include a copy of the old WP with my application, even though it covered the first 2 years of my 3 year qualifying period and had given them the copies. For some reason they said it was unnecessary. DOPA said it was, indeed, very necessary and that, if had been unable to produce the old WP (or copy) I would have been axed from the interview list and rejected (3 years after application). So, in the process they checked my current WP too but didn't asked to see any of my docs again at the interview. But you need to have a current WP at the interview, in case they do want to check your docs beforehand, or if anyone on the interview committee decides to ask to see them afterwards, which can happen.

You are also asked for copies of all docs when you make the oath of allegiance but, in my case, they didn't ask to see originals. So, if you had stopped working by that stage but still have a copy of what would have been a valid WP, if it had not been cancelled, it would probably pass muster. At this stage it is simply a case verifying your ID, and sending the evidence to DOPA. So if you have all the other docs, lack of WP (being renewed khrap) should not matter.

To be absolutely safe, it is best to do whatever you can to maintain a WP until the bitter end, as you don't want to be nixed by petty offialdom at the last hurdle. PR is different in that being in employment is not mandated by law, as it is in the Nationality Act, so they can be more flexible but you probably still need to have a WP when you go for your panel interview at Immigration.

Regarding the continuous part. I have worked and paid taxes in the past 3 years (24 months from middle of 2014 to middle 2016). I no longer have a work permit as of 1 month ago until I finish setting up my company later this year. Any ideas if I would have success with submitting the paperwork next year after I get my 3rd tax return (taxes paid exceed the 40k baht monthly minimum even when only looking at partial years)??

It is quite explicit about the work permit part. Open up your company get a new work permit and start counting again.

I had a gap of 3 days due to changing companies and incompetence by the new company's HR in failing to organize a seamless WP transition, as implored by me. I was pretty worried about that when I was sitting in front of the nationality section at the MoI, as she thumbed through my old and new WPs to check the continuity. Luckily she just said "all good" (in Thai). I think they will probably accept a gap of a few days or maybe up to month between jobs but there is no set rule. If it is a gap of months, you definitely have to zero the clock, as Garry says, and start again.

If going the way of being married to a Thai, does the time you've had the yellow book count for anything? I've even heard I don't need one to apply. However, I would prefer to have one. I have had one in another province for many years. Rather than travel a long way, I could throw it in the bin and apply for another one in my new province, where I want to apply from. Does this sound like a wise idea?

A far as I know you must be on yellow book for 3 years when you apply.

You cannot jut throw away your current yellow book. You have to get a new one by formally moving out from the residence it was issued for and getting a new one for your new residence. The new one will have the same ID number as the old one.

You could then show both books when you apply.

Actually there is no requirement to be in a tabien baan for 3 years when you apply for citizenship, if you apply on the basis of being married to a Thai. You need 3 years' of WP and tax receipts and 3 years' of registered marriage (1 if you have a child) and you do need a tabien baan but it can be brand new.

If going the way of being married to a Thai, does the time you've had the yellow book count for anything? I've even heard I don't need one to apply. However, I would prefer to have one. I have had one in another province for many years. Rather than travel a long way, I could throw it in the bin and apply for another one in my new province, where I want to apply from. Does this sound like a wise idea?

A far as I know you must be on yellow book for 3 years when you apply.

You cannot jut throw away your current yellow book. You have to get a new one by formally moving out from the residence it was issued for and getting a new one for your new residence. The new one will have the same ID number as the old one.

You could then show both books when you apply.

When my wife and I moved house we changed both our tabian baan books at the same time - went to the district office for our new place, and they told us that we needed to 'move out' of our old place at the local district office for where it was, first. So we did that and then went back to the district office for our new place, where they gave us the new ones. Total cost was 40 THB.

When I applied for citizenship in December (still waiting), I showed them both my current and previous tabian baan books, and they counted up the cumulative time of both books for the points.

Thanks Ubonjoe and SWW, this is very helpful.

The list of documents I was told to have by Special Branch didn't actually have the Yellow Book but I will check again about that.

In your new Yellow book and also in Blue book it is mentioned that you are shifting from where and when, so only new one will be fine to consider by Special Branch.

When my wife and I moved house we changed both our tabian baan books at the same time - went to the district office for our new place, and they told us that we needed to 'move out' of our old place at the local district office for where it was, first. So we did that and then went back to the district office for our new place, where they gave us the new ones. Total cost was 40 THB.

When I applied for citizenship in December (still waiting), I showed them both my current and previous tabian baan books, and they counted up the cumulative time of both books for the points.

The list of documents I was told to have by Special Branch didn't actually have the Yellow Book but I will check again about that.

In your new Yellow book and also in Blue book it is mentioned that you are shifting from where and when, so only new one will be fine to consider by Special Branch.

This may be true, but they still asked to see the old book. I believe the new book doesn't have the date the old book was issued, and they want to know how long you have had a tabian baan (you get more points for having it longer).

This may be true, but they still asked to see the old book. I believe the new book doesn't have the date the old book was issued, and they want to know how long you have had a tabian baan (you get more points for having it longer).

Stands to reason they might need the old book to assess your points. Sometimes SB don't want to trouble applicants for something that is not essential for the application but will get them a few more points, e.g. they don't always offer the reading and writing test, probably assuming that no one can read or write anyway. In my case they explained the thing about the old book clearly as they wanted me to get the full points for residence. I had never had a copy of the old book because my landlord refused to give one, forcing me to get certified copies from the DO every 3 months instead. SB didn't push me hard over this but, since I had to go to my original DO for something else, I got some certified documents from them showing me the details of my original book that I had never been allowed to see before (and also found out that my former landlord's mother had never obtained Thai nationality herself, as she was Chinese). The funny thing was that I already had 5 had years in the latest book which is the maximum counted. However, I needed to show 10 years in a blue book to support my claim to 10 years with an alien book (the alien book itself was not enough). In the end I scored the maximum 20 points for residence for what it was worth with a bit of effort.

It is worth noting that SB doesn't pass on your score to the MoI in the covering letter. It is simply pass or fail on the points assessment. That probably explains why SB doesn't push people to go for additional points, if they are quite sure they already have well over 50.

Stands to reason they might need the old book to assess your points. Sometimes SB don't want to trouble applicants for something that is not essential for the application but will get them a few more points, e.g. they don't always offer the reading and writing test, probably assuming that no one can read or write anyway. In my case they explained the thing about the old book clearly as they wanted me to get the full points for residence. I had never had a copy of the old book because my landlord refused to give one, forcing me to get certified copies from the DO every 3 months instead. SB didn't push me hard over this but, since I had to go to my original DO for something else, I got some certified documents from them showing me the details of my original book that I had never been allowed to see before (and also found out that my former landlord's mother had never obtained Thai nationality herself, as she was Chinese). The funny thing was that I already had 5 had years in the latest book which is the maximum counted. However, I needed to show 10 years in a blue book to support my claim to 10 years with an alien book (the alien book itself was not enough). In the end I scored the maximum 20 points for residence for what it was worth with a bit of effort.

It is worth noting that SB doesn't pass on your score to the MoI in the covering letter. It is simply pass or fail on the points assessment. That probably explains why SB doesn't push people to go for additional points, if they are quite sure they already have well over 50.

My total was 54 (not having a degree hit me hard), and the additional time in the 'old' yellow book helped my cause quite a lot. If I'd had a degree, I have no doubt that they would have told me it was unnecessary.

Interestingly, the spoken interview at SB started normally, but the head guy soon went off script and asked me about football teams (I'm British) and settled into a short chat, unlike the people who went before and after me, who were in there for a long time. My impression was that not many people who apply for Thai citizenship can speak much Thai.

If I was below 50 points, I would have volunteered to sing the anthems - I know one of them and half the other. Thankfully, it did not come to that though. Nobody needs to be subjected to me singing! :)

Edited by SWW
  • Like 1

My total was 54 (not having a degree hit me hard), and the additional time in the 'old' yellow book helped my cause quite a lot. If I'd had a degree, I have no doubt that they would have told me it was unnecessary.

Interestingly, the spoken interview at SB started normally, but the head guy soon went off script and asked me about football teams (I'm British) and settled into a short chat, unlike the people who went before and after me, who were in there for a long time. My impression was that not many people who apply for Thai citizenship can speak much Thai.

If I was below 50 points, I would have volunteered to sing the anthems - I know one of them and half the other. Thankfully, it did not come to that though. Nobody needs to be subjected to me singing! smile.png

I was around that score. No degree and no PR.

There is an American living here since he was a teenager with his military family who, first, is now a billionaire and, second, is a long time Thai citizen. I would love to hear his experience in becoming a Thai citizen and how it compares to others. A newspaper article said he is lucky if he knows 100 Thai words. I often day dream about what my life would be like if I were in Thailand starting in the late 60s - and never left. Of course we all know America is the land of opportunity, not Thailand. (yes, that is sarcasm) But it worked for that guy and I am both jealous and proud of him.

• Like 1

If I was below 50 points, I would have volunteered to sing the anthems - I know one of them and half the other. Thankfully, it did not come to that though. Nobody needs to be subjected to me singing! smile.png

Singing the songs is not an easy option but someone who is borderline on points might have to go for it. Because you can no longer sing from a script at the MoI interview, SB is reluctant to let you use a script, in case they get blamed for a poor performance at Lamlukka. However, if you are married to a Thai and don't need to sing at Lamlukka, they are more likely to allow you to use a script. At both SB and the MoI, you are expected to get the songs nearly perfect and many applicants have to repeat the songs several times and might even be told to go away and try again in a few months. At the MoI the singing is partcularly daunting, as you get to sing unaccompanied into a microphone in front of a roomful of bureaucrats but it is a great feeling when you have finished without making any mistakes.

Singing the songs is not an easy option but someone who is borderline on points might have to go for it. Because you can no longer sing from a script at the MoI interview, SB is reluctant to let you use a script, in case they get blamed for a poor performance at Lamlukka. However, if you are married to a Thai and don't need to sing at Lamlukka, they are more likely to allow you to use a script. At both SB and the MoI, you are expected to get the songs nearly perfect and many applicants have to repeat the songs several times and might even be told to go away and try again in a few months. At the MoI the singing is partcularly daunting, as you get to sing unaccompanied into a microphone in front of a roomful of bureaucrats but it is a great feeling when you have finished without making any mistakes.

Arkady, you mean to say that the songs are not mandatory if you have enough points ? (for applicants with no thai wife)

No. It is a typed up copy of the Royal Gazette in which you name appears. I understand but am not absolutely sure that it is something presented to each successful applicant as a formal souvenir.

I was told to keep my copy of the Royal Gazette, as evidence that may be asked for in the future, so it's more than a souvenir.

I still haven't been called to pick this document up yet. Has anyone from the February lot been called to pick up their yet?

Arkady, you mean to say that the songs are not mandatory if you have enough points ? (for applicants with no thai wife)

I Sang the songs from memory for the SB. 6 years later i was given only one weeks notice for the moi intrview, i was told if my singing wasn't up to scratch they could delay it.. I got an extra 3 weeks and was able to rememorise it.

I luckily have a good singing voice and yes in front of the committee it was very daunting, but they all clapped when i finished. :)

Regarding the continuous part. I have worked and paid taxes in the past 3 years (24 months from middle of 2014 to middle 2016). I no longer have a work permit as of 1 month ago until I finish setting up my company later this year. Any ideas if I would have success with submitting the paperwork next year after I get my 3rd tax return (taxes paid exceed the 40k baht monthly minimum even when only looking at partial years)??

It is quite explicit about the work permit part. Open up your company get a new work permit and start counting again.

So I just spoke with the Special Branch and they said that as long as I have 3 years of continuous tax returns I can apply. According to them a 2 month break in my work permit will not disqualify me as I switch jobs, because they only need to see that I paid taxes on 480,000 baht of income (40,000 x 12 months) for 3 years continuously.

I am hopeful with this news, but am still worried because I respect the opinion and experience of all of you greatly on this forum and the consensus here seems to be that a break in WP for longer than a few days will cause issues. I will be applying next year when I have my third tax return back, and by that time I will be happily on a valid work permit.

I Sang the songs from memory for the SB. 6 years later i was given only one weeks notice for the moi intrview, i was told if my singing wasn't up to scratch they could delay it.. I got an extra 3 weeks and was able to rememorise it.

I luckily have a good singing voice and yes in front of the committee it was very daunting, but they all clapped when i finished. smile.png

You Sir are an inspiration. However, for poor souls like me, I'd love to know that I could skip them if I already have enough points. No Thai Wife category.

I luckily have a good singing voice and yes in front of the committee it was very daunting, but they all clapped when i finished. smile.png

You Sir are an inspiration. However, for poor souls like me, I'd love to know that I could skip them if I already have enough points. No Thai Wife category.

You have no choice. Applying based on PR makes the singing a requirement.

So I just spoke with the Special Branch and they said that as long as I have 3 years of continuous tax returns I can apply. According to them a 2 month break in my work permit will not disqualify me as I switch jobs, because they only need to see that I paid taxes on 480,000 baht of income (40,000 x 12 months) for 3 years continuously.

I am hopeful with this news, but am still worried because I respect the opinion and experience of all of you greatly on this forum and the consensus here seems to be that a break in WP for longer than a few days will cause issues. I will be applying next year when I have my third tax return back, and by that time I will be happily on a valid work permit.

The problem is that no one really knows for sure. You are probably OK, if SB accepts your application on that basis but ultimately it depends on the MoI. I once saw a big pile of about 8 files on a desk at SB and was told they had all been knocked back by the MoI after interviews as unqualified for various reasons, although SB had deemed them all to be qualified several years earlier. Some of them were disqualified because the MoI had changed its stance on letting PRs include time on a WP before they got PR in the 5 year qualification period and had gone back to its earlier interpretation of 5 years with PR. Mine was knocked back because SB for some reason decided to apply for exemption from the singing requirement, as I had PR and a Thai wife but had not been married for the requisite 3 years, which SB had claimed was OK for applicants with Thai wives and PR. Well it wasn't but luckily I was knocked back before the interview and didn't have to start from the beginning again, whereas those knocked back after the interviews had to start again from scratch after waiting several years.

BTW Sas cars. Garry is, of course, right. Singing is compulsory if you apply on the basis of PR rather than as the husband of a Thai citizen. This is because the Act now gives those with Thai wives exemption from the requirement to have knowledge of the Thai language, as well as the requirement for 5 years' residence in the Kingdom. In addition to singing you will get a longer interview at the MoI on your own, even if you have a Thai wife but applied on the basis of PR, so they can assess your Thai as well as your suitability as a person, whereas applicants on the basis of a Thai wife get a shorter interview together with their wives, who are permitted to help their hubbies. Quite nerve wracking for those who apply on the basis of PR but easily doable, if you have a reasonable spoken knowledge of Thai, are willing to put in a bit effort to learn the songs and are not totally tone deaf.

• Like 2

No. It is a typed up copy of the Royal Gazette in which you name appears. I understand but am not absolutely sure that it is something presented to each successful applicant as a formal souvenir.

I was told to keep my copy of the Royal Gazette, as evidence that may be asked for in the future, so it's more than a souvenir.

I still haven't been called to pick this document up yet. Has anyone from the February lot been called to pick up their yet?

I just called SB but they said they have not received our lot yet.

Congrats and kudos to all who acquired Thai Nationality. Good luck those who submitted and waiting for the next steps.

This thread had given me insights and direct experience shared by the OP, I would like to share my experience for other new applicants.

I have just submitted my application in SB, BKK 2 weeks ago. Based on Thai Wife, having WP 3+ years, married registration 4+ yrs and daughter 2+ yrs. Tax 3yrs, Yellow Book, BKK.

1. Tue, 28.06.16 SB Police called me for a formal interview with the Chief (3rd floor). There were 3 application including me on the day.

Casual general questions on whereabouts, education and our wedding. After the conversation of about 20 mins the Chief mentioned your application will be processed and next round of committee meeting I will be joining too. Signed couple of papers in front of us. He did mentioned, please be patience to receive Thai Nationality will take ~2 years. Wife & me smiled and left his room. Mind voice: though, the reality might be 4-5 years from now...... based on Oasis - 6+yrs, GarryP - 3+yrs and even my friend who applied in 2009 received just this Feb'16.

2. Came back to the SB Police office and gave my finger prints

3. Officer handed over 3 seal envelopes i) My embassy ii) District office for Thai name registration and iii) District office for our marriage registration confirmation

4. Before we leave officer mentioned please don't travel outside the country for 2 weeks SB police will call you for the next meeting. I guess this should be the McD meeting with the NIA.

5. Officer was very friendly and she became friends with my wife and started chatting on Line already ;)

Will keep all posted on the next meetings and progress.

Cheers ;)

Congrats and kudos to all who acquired Thai Nationality. Good luck those who submitted and waiting for the next steps.

This thread had given me insights and direct experience shared by the OP, I would like to share my experience for other new applicants.

I have just submitted my application in SB, BKK 2 weeks ago. Based on Thai Wife, having WP 3+ years, married registration 4+ yrs and daughter 2+ yrs. Tax 3yrs, Yellow Book, BKK.

1. Tue, 28.06.16 SB Police called me for a formal interview with the Chief (3rd floor). There were 3 application including me on the day.

Casual general questions on whereabouts, education and our wedding. After the conversation of about 20 mins the Chief mentioned your application will be processed and next round of committee meeting I will be joining too. Signed couple of papers in front of us. He did mentioned, please be patience to receive Thai Nationality will take ~2 years. Wife & me smiled and left his room. Mind voice: though, the reality might be 4-5 years from now...... based on Oasis - 6+yrs, GarryP - 3+yrs and even my friend who applied in 2009 received just this Feb'16.

3. Officer handed over 3 seal envelopes i) My embassy ii) District office for Thai name registration and iii) District office for our marriage registration confirmation

4. Before we leave officer mentioned please don't travel outside the country for 2 weeks SB police will call you for the next meeting. I guess this should be the McD meeting with the NIA.

5. Officer was very friendly and she became friends with my wife and started chatting on Line already ;)

Cheers ;)

thanks for the update as the thread is very long. Is this the interview when they judge your score? was it in thai or English or both. In January i will have the exact same situation as you (wife, children and work permit) but i am concerned about meeting the minimum score.

How is everyone showing their education just bring copies of your diplomas?

Cheers ;)

The next meeting should be the McD one. It's not very long, and they basically chat and go over your documents again.

The officer is friendly, and my wife and I both have added her on Line. She usually answers questions quite quickly on there.

A word of warning about the embassy letter. I can only speak from my own experience (of course), but the British embassy was as far from helpful as it could have been possible for them to be. It took 1-3 weeks to book an appointment with them, and what the police requested of them is not one of the standard services they provide. I spoke to several of the embassy staff, and it took three attempts to get what I needed from them. The people at SB should be up to speed with how they work now, so maybe the next Brit to apply can avoid the delays I suffered (about six months) because of that.

If you are British, PM me and I'll give you the details of how I had to go about it on attempt three.

Good luck!

Cheers ;)

thanks for the update as the thread is very long. Is this the interview when they judge your score? was it in thai or English or both. In January i will have the exact same situation as you (wife, children and work permit) but i am concerned about meeting the minimum score.

I have no degree or diplomas but managed a score of 54, helped by having had a tabian baan for a few years, and from speaking, reading and writing Thai fairly well, as well as having a good-looking job (large well-known company, good-sounding position).

They do ask to see whatever certificates of education you do have, so I would definitely include those if you have them. Bring the originals if you have them, as well as copies. Leave the copies with them, after they have seen the originals.

5. Officer was very friendly and she became friends with my wife and started chatting on Line already wink.png

Cheers wink.png

Yes, I think so. But, forgot to ask them about my score. I had my MBA from UK. Luckily I did an official translation and submitted along the application. During the interview this added a value as the Chief was asking about the major and bit about my Bachelors and other qualifications I had.

Later will check with the officer for my score :)

5. Officer was very friendly and she became friends with my wife and started chatting on Line already wink.png

Cheers wink.png

I have no degree or diplomas but managed a score of 54, helped by having had a tabian baan for a few years, and from speaking, reading and writing Thai fairly well, as well as having a good-looking job (large well-known company, good-sounding position).

They do ask to see whatever certificates of education you do have, so I would definitely include those if you have them. Bring the originals if you have them, as well as copies. Leave the copies with them, after they have seen the originals.

Exactly, keep all originals on handy. You never know which one will be asked for.

Cheers wink.png

The next meeting should be the McD one. It's not very long, and they basically chat and go over your documents again.

The officer is friendly, and my wife and I both have added her on Line. She usually answers questions quite quickly on there.

A word of warning about the embassy letter. I can only speak from my own experience (of course), but the British embassy was as far from helpful as it could have been possible for them to be. It took 1-3 weeks to book an appointment with them, and what the police requested of them is not one of the standard services they provide. I spoke to several of the embassy staff, and it took three attempts to get what I needed from them. The people at SB should be up to speed with how they work now, so maybe the next Brit to apply can avoid the delays I suffered (about six months) because of that.

If you are British, PM me and I'll give you the details of how I had to go about it on attempt three.

Good luck!

The McD one will be with the NIA? Still a long way to go.

I handed over to my embassy and asked Thai staff do I need to come and collect - she responded -no, we will send directly to SB Police. Don't worry we take care. Since, there is no fees involved there is no receipt to trace back. Will check with them after 2 weeks.

Cheers wink.png

Good luck!

The McD one will be with the NIA? Still a long way to go.

I handed over to my embassy and asked Thai staff do I need to come and collect - she responded -no, we will send directly to SB Police. Don't worry we take care. Since, there is no fees involved there is no receipt to trace back. Will check with them after 2 weeks.

For the declaration, I simply used the blank declaration form of the British Embassy and wrote out my declaration. It was stamped on the spot and was acceptable to SB. The embassy staff handling it even joked with me about declaring an intention to give up citizenship. I believe Arkady provided me the sample wording. All very simple.

I believe I was the first or one of the first to request this declaration at the Brit Embassy after this requirement was added to the checklist of docs by the MoI. At first a rather idiotic but very self-assured female locally engaged staffer in the consular section told me that such a declaration was out of the question and I would have to renounce citizenship completely and show the confirmation of renunciation instead. I explained that the Home Secretary was not authorised to do this, if it would make someone stateless, and that, if he could, being stateless, I would no longer be eligible for Thai citizenship or even to stay in Thailand, somewhat defeating the point of the exercise. She refused to listen to such trivial objections or escalate the matter to a real accredited consular official and just shoved the form for renunciation of citizenship into my hands. I dropped it into the trash on the way out, wondering how I was going to surmount this obstacle. The following week I made a second attempt, determined this time to insist on seeing an expat officer but luckily saw one first time by just waiting in line. She did the declaration without batting an eyelid using my wording in the process described by Garry. Now it must be routine.

A word of advice for any document you need to get from a foreign embassy. Ask them how to spell the name of the consular official in Thai to ensure you have it spelled correctly in the Thai translation. I needed another document that was signed by a Thai consular officer. The translator just made up a Thai spelling for the name, claiming that she had done dozens of documents signed by the same official with no problem. Needless to say it was wrong and the MoF legalisation department that keeps records of signatures of all foreign consular staff, rejected the translation because of it the first time around, necessitating another trip to the embassy to get the Thai spelling and give it to the bone headed translator, who by then had a suitably red face.

• Like 1