Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

2 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

I'm submitting the documents as soon as I can to the Special Branch in the provinces.

I have the 3 years tax requirements and Work Permit.

My question is this - what happens if I quit my job while waiting for the decision?

Is there any requirement that one must remain in the same job for the entire process?  

You have to keep working but can change employers. 

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I changed employers with no ill effect, but I'm not sure whether it is actually necessary to keep working right through the process. Things may have changed, but when I applied I needed to show my work permit on just two occasions:

1) My initial application at SB

2) My day of interview at the IM

Following my IM interview, I laboured on in a job I hated for more than a year while my application creaked through the process, for fear of no longer meeting the requirements if I quit my job, but at no point did they ever ask to see my work permit after the IM interview. In retrospect, I could have quit my job a lot earlier :-)

49 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

I changed employers with no ill effect, but I'm not sure whether it is actually necessary to keep working right through the process. Things may have changed, but when I applied I needed to show my work permit on just two occasions:

1) My initial application at SB

2) My day of interview at the IM

Following my IM interview, I laboured on in a job I hated for more than a year while my application creaked through the process, for fear of no longer meeting the requirements if I quit my job, but at no point did they ever ask to see my work permit after the IM interview. In retrospect, I could have quit my job a lot earlier :-)

Thanks, that's kind of exactly what my situation is like.

How long did you have to wait for the IM interview after the initial application?

14 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Thanks, that's kind of exactly what my situation is like.

How long did you have to wait for the IM interview after the initial application?

In my case, I waited around 8 or 9 months for the IM interview. The longer wait of around a year and a half was after that.

When renewing my 5 year driving license the other day, which I obtained while on an extension of stay, I needed to bring along my naturalization certificate, a copy of the announcement in the Royal Gazette, old license, ID card and house registration. All very straight forward at the Land Transport Department opposite Sukhumvit 62.

I think I have finally tidied up the loose ends since getting citizenship, with the exception of tax ID which they refused to revoke and replace with my ID card number. Said they could not do it. But I will try to submit my tax returns using my ID card number in January and see what happens. Hopefully, I'll still get the rebate I am due.   

22 minutes ago, GarryP said:

When renewing my 5 year driving license the other day, which I obtained while on an extension of stay, I needed to bring along my naturalization certificate, a copy of the announcement in the Royal Gazette, old license, ID card and house registration. All very straight forward at the Land Transport Department opposite Sukhumvit 62.

I think I have finally tidied up the loose ends since getting citizenship, with the exception of tax ID which they refused to revoke and replace with my ID card number. Said they could not do it. But I will try to submit my tax returns using my ID card number in January and see what happens. Hopefully, I'll still get the rebate I am due.   

That's odd about the tax ID, as I had no problem with it. Sounds like an official who doesn't know the rules. Did you try talking to a different official or a supervisor? Otherwise, as you say, try lodging your tax return using your citizen ID and see what happens.

6 hours ago, dbrenn said:

That's odd about the tax ID, as I had no problem with it. Sounds like an official who doesn't know the rules. Did you try talking to a different official or a supervisor? Otherwise, as you say, try lodging your tax return using your citizen ID and see what happens.

They went to the head of the Revenue Office in Bang Jak district. They were all adamant that I should use my existing tax Id number. Seems silly so I will ignore them and see what happens.

They went to the head of the Revenue Office in Bang Jak district. They were all adamant that I should use my existing tax Id number. Seems silly so I will ignore them and see what happens.

Forgive me my ignorance but what could be the problem using the existing ID?

1 hour ago, aidenai said:

Forgive me my ignorance but what could be the problem using the existing ID?

There is no problem per se.  However, for all Thais, their national id nos. also serve as their tax id nos. and as such this should now apply to us.

5 hours ago, greenchair said:

I just went to the interview. 

It was really pleasant and not nearly as stressful as I thought it would be. 

Could you give us a rough idea of what was talked about? What sort of questions? All in Thai?

2 hours ago, Barty said:

Could you give us a rough idea of what was talked about? What sort of questions? All in Thai?

It's a bit freaky when you first walk in because there are about 40 people in there. They just asked if we loved each other truly. 

I have a few minor criminal charges, so they asked about those. 

It was over in 5 minutes. 

They speak slowly and downsize the language. Similar to us speaking to thai, you go shop type of thing. If you speak a little bit of thai you should understand, anyway you can ask your spouse. In fact either one of you can answer the questions. There were dozens of people waiting, but for some reason we were whipped through ahead quite quickly. 

It was a great day. 

Wish me luck. 

On 12/5/2016 at 4:28 PM, GarryP said:

I just switched over to my ID number when starting a new job as a permanent resident without asking anyone and no one said anything.  Then I changed jobs and the new company's outsourced payroll function ignored the ID number on my documents and applied for a foreigner's tax ID number for me which I only noticed on my payslips when I filed my tax the first year.  I worked there for three years and the company ignored all my requests to use my ID number, even after I became a Thai citizen.  I continued to file my own tax return under my real ID number online and had no problem.  I think you should be able to register with the Revenue  Dept and get a password using your ID number.  Then you file your tax return online.  If they ask for your 50 thawee document for verification after that, they don't seem to care, if it is with a different tax ID number, as long as your name is correct.

On 12/4/2016 at 4:34 PM, ubonjoe said:

Absolutely correct.  There is no wiggle room on this because the Nationality Act requires you to have an occupation in Thailand.  If you change jobs, t is important to organise a seamless transition, so you don't have a noticeable gap in your work permits.  They sometimes scrutinise for this before you go for interview.  Also make sure you get the old WP back for your records from the Labour Ministry.  Whatever they tell you, this is your right under the 2008 Working of Aliens Act.  But make a copy of it beforehand anyway to be safe.

13 hours ago, skippybangkok said:

Had the docs from SB for a while, but had no time to get Thai ID and passport.... so left it for quite some time. Running to get it tomorrow - Can any of you guys help me - what documents do I need to get Thai ID and then passport ? - thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

There were several posts about this process, skippy. One important one is, also in my case, you can't just walk-in. You have to make an appointment.

When the appointment is there, you need all your naturalisation documents, the blue book and in my case the owner of the blue book and my wife. First step is addition in the blue book. Second step is applying for the Thai national ID.

Thai national ID, house registration and copies of all your naturalisation documents.

Thanks Aidenai. Thanks to Arkady for kindly advising me, helped immensely- if not wasted day

Getting ur Thai ID after SB complete

Process

( starting point - I have blue Tabien Baan already )

They like you to make an appointment - cause Phu Yai who sign are not always in. If not, most likely need to go twice with your witnesses in tow so drop in one day and make an appointment first

2 Thai witnesses who have known you for 2 yrs or more

Docs originals

- passport

- White immigration book used at border checks

- Work permit

- Alien red book

- Tabienbaan

- Marriage cert ( just copy )

2 copies copies of every thing

As names of mother and father , birth place , if you have kids, eduction.

Takes an hour to key in and prepare, but when the boss will sign, only he knows

I was asked to come back tomorrow - stayed very polite but pushed quite hard, was clear to me she had no control of her boss, so left it at that.

Gave her my phone , she called about 10 mins after I left and said boss returned - always good to be nice to people !

Next step

Off to do Thai ID

Kinda copies first process with similar questions. Same questions - just be polite and they will get though it quick.

Witnesses need to sign documents and also witness photograph taking docs. Am sure they are very worried about giving out ID's and need to be sure

Done - was lucky, took about 2.5 hours ( excluding the time I needed to drive back $

5 hours ago, skippybangkok said:

Thanks Aidenai. Thanks to Arkady for kindly advising me, helped immensely- if not wasted day

Getting ur Thai ID after SB complete

Process

( starting point - I have blue Tabien Baan already )

They like you to make an appointment - cause Phu Yai who sign are not always in. If not, most likely need to go twice with your witnesses in tow so drop in one day and make an appointment first

2 Thai witnesses who have known you for 2 yrs or more

Docs originals

- passport

- White immigration book used at border checks

- Work permit

- Alien red book

- Tabienbaan

- Marriage cert ( just copy )

2 copies copies of every thing

As names of mother and father , birth place , if you have kids, eduction.

Takes an hour to key in and prepare, but when the boss will sign, only he knows

I was asked to come back tomorrow - stayed very polite but pushed quite hard, was clear to me she had no control of her boss, so left it at that.

Gave her my phone , she called about 10 mins after I left and said boss returned - always good to be nice to people !

Next step

Off to do Thai ID

Kinda copies first process with similar questions. Same questions - just be polite and they will get though it quick.

Witnesses need to sign documents and also witness photograph taking docs. Am sure they are very worried about giving out ID's and need to be sure

Done - was lucky, took about 2.5 hours ( excluding the time I needed to drive back $

I had one witness at the District Office in addition to my son. That witness was unrelated, just a friend. I did not need many of the documents you were required to present. It just goes to show that each District Office is a world unto itself.  

I live in the provinces, where there only seems to be one Special Branch policeman.

SB in Bangkok said I need to contact him. The problem is that he is never in the office. 

He eventually answered his phone and said he'd call back. This was two weeks ago.

I suspect he is looking for money. Any suggestions as what to do?

22 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

I live in the provinces, where there only seems to be one Special Branch policeman.

SB in Bangkok said I need to contact him. The problem is that he is never in the office. 

He eventually answered his phone and said he'd call back. This was two weeks ago.

I suspect he is looking for money. Any suggestions as what to do?

The best option would be to find somebody with a house book for Bangkok who would allow you to be entered in their house book if you have permanent residency or be issued a yellow house book based upon it.

Archived