Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

I live in the provinces, where there only seems to be one Special Branch policeman.
SB in Bangkok said I need to contact him. The problem is that he is never in the office. 
He eventually answered his phone and said he'd call back. This was two weeks ago.
I suspect he is looking for money. Any suggestions as what to do?

At first my house registration was in the province. We contacted the policeman responsible for citizenship applications but the man said that he didn't know a thing about the procedures. We asked him to go to SB in Bangkok to obtain info. We gave him some travel expenses to do so. He reported back that this was a very complicated process for him to manage and advised me to get myself registered in Bangkok. I found somebody who was willing to put me on his house book and could use HQ SB.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, aidenai said:

At first my house registration was in the province. We contacted the policeman responsible for citizenship applications but the man said that he didn't know a thing about the procedures. We asked him to go to SB in Bangkok to obtain info. We gave him some travel expenses to do so. He reported back that this was a very complicated process for him to manage and advised me to get myself registered in Bangkok. I found somebody who was willing to put me on his house book and could use HQ SB.

Thanks for  your experience.

All they have too do is to submit the documents, as far as I know.

It's rather not do it this way as Bangkok is very far. Also Bangkok advised me to do here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and congrats to Thai citizens,

I'm the wife of a Thai man, attempting to apply for citizenship, but have come across 2 problems in my application:

1. The police in Trat seem unwilling to help. I could wait and try in Chanthaburi, but have no relatives in Bangkok to help me apply from there.

2. My husband is a farm owner with no official income. I'm the main supporter and have sufficient income tax history and WP, would this be sufficient? Or would money in a bank under my husband's name be sufficient? He does not even have a tax ID.

I would be grateful for any light you could shed on this matter. Thanks in advance.

I just called the MOI and found out that my application may not be qualified for the interview after I submitted the application in 2013.

I called to check with MOI about my application every year since my application was submitted to MOI. 

Then the staff just check my application and told me that my salary in the first year was under 40000 baht which was not qualified. Actually that year I just started working in October.  For the second and third year, my income was OK!   The staff told me that  I can't add additional documents or updated my income information that I am qualified. and I have to start all over again because my application will not be accepted by the committee.

(I felt very depress and sad.  I hoped next year, I will get to be interviewed.  Actually this was not my first time to apply for Thai Citizenship, I have applied about 20 years ago. But I still don't get it due to some regulation change or MOI changed the policy.)  

My question is Should I told the SB to take to back my application and start apply again or wait for result from the committee to view my application first. Any suggestion or advise?              Thank you!  

5 minutes ago, Johns Baker said:

I just called the MOI and found out that my application may not be qualified for the interview after I submitted the application in 2013.

I called to check with MOI about my application every year since my application was submitted to MOI. 

Then the staff just check my application and told me that my salary in the first year was under 40000 baht which was not qualified. Actually that year I just started working in October.  For the second and third year, my income was OK!   The staff told me that  I can't add additional documents or updated my income information that I am qualified. and I have to start all over again because my application will not be accepted by the committee.

(I felt very depress and sad.  I hoped next year, I will get to be interviewed.  Actually this was not my first time to apply for Thai Citizenship, I have applied about 20 years ago. But I still don't get it due to some regulation change or MOI changed the policy.)  

My question is Should I told the SB to take to back my application and start apply again or wait for result from the committee to view my application first. Any suggestion or advise?              Thank you!  

It sounds like they are making it very difficult for you. Make sure you are always always very polite with them. When they ask for documents, smile. when they ask for more documents double smile.

Remember, everything is your own fault and apologise for everything.

A Xmas basket is always welcomed especially if they do not like you.

It might be a good idea to start the process again. It is much more efficient now. I applied in 2015 and got interview 2016. Remember, stay calm and do not get stressed. When you reapply no need to tell them you already have an application in already. Then if the old one is accepted, you can cancel the new one.

If the old one not accepted you can already have your new application in.  

1 minute ago, greenchair said:

It sounds like they are making it very difficult for you. Make sure you are always always very polite with them. When they ask for documents, smile. when they ask for more documents double smile.

Remember, everything is your own fault and apologise for everything.

A Xmas basket is always welcomed especially if they do not like you.

It might be a good idea to start the process again. It is much more efficient now. I applied in 2015 and got interview 2016. Remember, stay calm and do not get stressed. When you reapply no need to tell them you already have an application in already. Then if the old one is accepted, you can cancel the new one.

If the old one not accepted you can already have your new application in.  

Thank you very much!

28 minutes ago, Johns Baker said:

Then the staff just check my application and told me that my salary in the first year was under 40000 baht which was not qualified. Actually that year I just started working in October.  For the second and third year, my income was OK!

From what you wrote it appears they should of not accepted you application. The requirements are that you must have 3 full years of employment and salary to apply as far as I know.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

From what you wrote it appears they should of not accepted you application. The requirements are that you must have 3 full years of employment and salary to apply as far as I know.

Is it 3 years of tax returns or 36 months of actually being employed?  Say you started your job mid year you would have 30 months employment but 3 years of returns. 

23 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Is it 3 years of tax returns or 36 months of actually being employed?  Say you started your job mid year you would have 30 months employment but 3 years of returns. 

This from the guidelines.

3.1 Applicants with no direct personal ties with Thailand should have an income of not less than 80,000 baht a month supported by a letter of confirmation of monthly salary/income and must show evidence that they have paid tax for not less than 3 years; or they should they should have paid personal income tax of more than 100,000 baht per year for the 3 tax years prior to their application for naturalization
3.2 Applicants with direct personal ties with Thailand, such as those married to a Thai citizen, those with children who are Thai citizens, or those who graduated from an institute of tertiary education in Thailand should have an income of not less than 40,000 baht a month supported by a letter of confirmation of monthly salary/income and must show evidence that they have paid tax for not less than 3 years; or they should they should have paid personal income tax of more than 50,000 baht per year for the 3 tax years prior to their application for naturalization

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

All you need are three years of tax returns with an annual total income / income tax paid meeting the minimum threshold outlined in Ubonjoe's post.

Income and tax paid can be accrued from more than one job. There is no requirement that employment be unbroken during the three year run up period BUT you need to be working and have a valid work permit when you apply and when you are interviewed at the Interior Ministry AND most recent job must meet monthly salary requirements.

And after apply - need to maintain a job as well till get approved. In my case almost 7 years. It's clear there is a "fast track" as some took only 3-4 years, but it was a path I did not want to explore nor would use even if asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

And after apply - need to maintain a job as well till get approved. In my case almost 7 years. It's clear there is a "fast track" as some took only 3-4 years, but it was a path I did not want to explore nor would use even if asked.

For me the whole process took less than 4 years but I certainly did not take a "fast track". Everything was above board. The inference you make is uncalled for. I know some who took longer and others not so long, but everything done correctly. I no of only one person who "paid" for it and that was quite a number of years ago.  

2 hours ago, GarryP said:
For me the whole process took less than 4 years but I certainly did not take a "fast track". Everything was above board. The inference you make is uncalled for. I know some who took longer and others not so long, but everything done correctly. I no of only one person who "paid" for it and that was quite a number of years ago.  

Gary - there is no need to feel insulted. Our experiences differ, and I don't feel insulted that mine are not the same as yours. I have seen and experienced things which make me feel not all is transparent

Good news is for people reading this that both of us got through the process in a straight and upright manner

18 hours ago, skippybangkok said:

I'm not sure that the part about holding on to your job is true - in my case I needed to show a work permit only when I applied and when I was interviewed at the IM. I actually held on to a job I hated right up until my citizenship was granted, but at no time after the IM did they ever ask to see my work permit again.

My application took a little under three years, but no mechanism to bribe the IM to hurry the process was ever revealed to me, so your inference that applications approved in 3-4 years were because of bribery is untrue. Even Special Branch claimed to have no idea what went on at the IM, and that they had no power to influence anything there.

I'm not sure that the part about holding on to your job is true - in my case I needed to show a work permit only when I applied and when I was interviewed at the IM. I actually held on to a job I hated right up until my citizenship was granted, but at no time after the IM did they ever ask to see my work permit again.

My application took a little under three years, but no mechanism to bribe the IM to hurry the process was ever revealed to me, so your inference that applications approved in 3-4 years were because of bribery is untrue. Even Special Branch claimed to have no idea what went on at the IM, and that they had no power to influence anything there.

Cheers

There is no insinuation that if you got in 3 or 4 years it's an automatic "its bribery".

There are how ever 2 observations

1. I did clearly see coaches in the MOI waiting room walking around with a very superior / aloof disposition - am sure they were not mere Ajarn's and I doubt they were just good Samaritans. Without pointing fingers, I am familiar with the way this establishment carries itself

Did try to say hi to one to sus him out, but I was obviously just a mere mortal. With his students he was jolly and cheering them on

2. Also strange that people applying after me got citz first. totally not concerned - Just an observation

I had no requests for further info, so that's not the reason for difference

7 hours ago, skippybangkok said:

Cheers

There is no insinuation that if you got in 3 or 4 years it's an automatic "its bribery".

There are how ever 2 observations

1. I did clearly see coaches in the MOI waiting room walking around with a very superior / aloof disposition - am sure they were not mere Ajarn's and I doubt they were just good Samaritans. Without pointing fingers, I am familiar with the way this establishment carries itself

Did try to say hi to one to sus him out, but I was obviously just a mere mortal. With his students he was jolly and cheering them on

2. Also strange that people applying after me got citz first. totally not concerned - Just an observation

I had no requests for further info, so that's not the reason for difference

Seven years is certainly a long time - most people who have applied since I started this thread, as well as people I know personally, seem to average three or four years. Perhaps your application got stuck in the system somewhere? 

As I've said, there was certainly nobody in the IM made available to help me, or any of my friends who have applied since - the IM, where the decisions are made, remains inscrutable to the SB throughout.

The only coaching I had was from the officer who received my application at SB - at that time very few farangs were applying and he was rather curious and amused. All he could really do was give me advice on what to do and when. He gave me his cell phone number, and talked me through the whole process, but seemed powerless to influence the outcome at the IM. I rewarded him with the odd bottle of scotch here and there.

Ya dbrenn - the thought passed my mind. At the time I was working for a Yellow leaning company when reds were in power. Would not surprise me if I was thrown on the bottom of the heap. Most probable cause in my mind cause if look at all the criteria, I aced everything- especially yearly tax contributions

1 hour ago, skippybangkok said:

Ya dbrenn - the thought passed my mind. At the time I was working for a Yellow leaning company when reds were in power. Would not surprise me if I was thrown on the bottom of the heap. Most probable cause in my mind cause if look at all the criteria, I aced everything- especially yearly tax contributions

That's not a reasonable presumption at all. 

7 hours ago, skippybangkok said:

It may have been something simple like an administrative error, a misplaced document, or something like that. 

27 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

Yep - can't rule it out

I can understand why you suspected political interference though - I remember thinking that my application was toast after the military coup of 2006 - Kongsak Wantana, the Interior Minister who had just approved my application was one of Thaksin's lot. In the end it didn't make any difference nor did it seem to delay my approval. 

On 31/12/2016 at 3:27 AM, skippybangkok said:

Oh.... forgot to mention I met a very respectable guy who was offered fast track - but declined

Could have been a scam, or the real thing

There are so many lobbyists lawyers and influence peddlers in Thailand, claiming to know one or another general or politician. They ask for large sums of money to expedite decisions.

Most are just conmen, who do not deliver an outcome any faster than going through the normal channels would have done. 

There are so many lobbyists lawyers and influence peddlers in Thailand, claiming to know one or another general or politician. They ask for large sums of money to expedite decisions.

Most are just conmen, who do not deliver an outcome any faster than going through the normal channels would have done. 

Yaaa

I previously tried to cancel my tax ID at the local tax office, but told this was not possible and that I would have to use my tax ID when filing a tax return, not my Thai citizen ID number like other Thais. So today I tried to re-register on the Revenue Department's e-filing web page using my ID card. No problems were encountered at all. In fact, the two numbers are already linked, and when I went to enter a new password, the suggestion it gave me was my former Tax ID number.

This just goes to show that you can't trust your local tax office no matter how adamant they are about not being able to do something.    

Archived